Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cy1620

Please tell me all about squash and pumpkin varieties

9 years ago

Hi!!

I am a big fan of winter squashes and pumpkins for their countless varieties, taste and long storage.

I'm very interested in the varieties so I searched but I couldn't find much except for some popular and common ones like butternut or acorn.

I want to know more about each variety's productivity and characteristics, mostly about the taste, such as sweetness, dryness and tenderness.

Please tell me your squash and pumpkin experience!!

ANYTHING will be very interesting to me!!

Comments (7)

• 9 years ago

Gosh, I've always had kind of the opposite problem- there is such a huge amount of information out there on squashes, it's sometimes hard to wade through it all :)

If you google up "heirloom squash taste comparison" or "heirloom pumpkin taste comparison" and you will find a bunch of sites that have that kind of information, from magazines to blogs. A lot of catalogs will give you information too, like Baker Creek has a lot of squash/pumpkins and a lot of information too.

If you use search terms here, you will find a lot of threads about it as well.

Hope this helps!

• 9 years ago

I'm growing Winter Luxury for the first time this year. Last year on this forum there was a lot of talk about how great they are for taste and texture.

• 8 years ago

Definitely check out Baker Creek's website. Tons of cool varieties, and most have reviews from people who have tried them.
    My favorites to grow for looks that I have tried so far were Big Max, Musquee d Provence (also great bug resistance) and Cinderella's Carriage (a selected strain of Rouge vif that is beautiful, from Renee's Garden Seeds).
    For taste I loved Marina Chioggia, and any of the butternuts.
    Also check out KCB. Over 700 varieties listed with descriptions!
    http://www.kcb-samen.ch/?source=404&language=en

• 8 years ago

lots of of info out ther and it still is not clear to me what you really want. Irespective of variety which most folks have a favorite and can genrate hours of discussion, winter squash can be be categorized into groups. Butternut types are the most popular and most versatile. They have resistance to SVB which is of paramount importance in some areas. Pumpkins are most popular for decorations, but some types are widely used for pies. ( not Libby's pumpkin pie filling is made from a butternut type not a pumpkin) Acorns are popular as a personal size baking squash, Delicata types are less popular but used for the same purpose. Hubbard types come in all sizes and noted for thier keeping qualities and flavor. Most susceptible to SVB. Finally the ancient cushaws, good pie pumpkin, but it is a personal taste. One of my favorites but generally low in popularity. In case you you are asking about kabocha and buttercups, they are Hubbard types as is the acorn size Gold Nugget.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Buttercup has been my favorite in taste... incredibly rich in flavor and sweetness. Bush variety acorns are easy to grow. As others have said, Butternut has resistance to the borer.

This year I only have space for one variety so I'm trying an heirloom called North Georgia Candy Roaster. I haven't tasted it yet, and so far I've only pollinated one flower, but there plenty more coming on. Every description raves about its production, size, and taste. I was surprised to find that the flowers even smell nice.

The only down-side people have posted about is the incredible spread of the vines. Thankfully, it's very trainable, and I have it contained under row covers. So far, so good. But it's early, and I may eventually have to uncover it and let it go. If I must let it take over the yard, hopefully the vine borer will be gone by then.

I too enjoy squash, and I'm looking forward to trying this one. I hope it makes it to the fall!

• 8 years ago

Make that 2 flowers now!