Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What's the weirdest thing you've found in your sofa cushions?

Emily H
9 years ago

Did you find your fifth grade report card? Your grandfather's pocket watch? How about an old Pez dispenser?

What's the weirdest or most random thing you've found in your sofa cushions?

Bridgehampton · More Info

Comments (86)

• User
    9 years ago
    I bought an antique chair for my husband when we were in Denmark. In the crook between seat and arm...I found a very very old dessicated cigar
  • User
    9 years ago
    Oh, and my mother once found a dead dried-out flying squirrel under a seat cushion, where my dog used to hide her biscuits. We guess it died in the fireplace or chimney at some point, she found it, and decided it was a cool thing to stash...
  • feathercd
    9 years ago

I had to stop reading at lizard skeleton.

• Melynda
    9 years ago
    There was the beer bottle my folks found in our couch, after an illicit party I'd hosted while they were away. I had cleaned up so well, I would have gotten away with it if not for that bottle turning up!
  • janetfs
    9 years ago
    I found my sister-in-laws high school tassel in our old couch probably 20 years lost. Yes my son loves our 40 year old couch which now resides at his house. Sleeps like a charm.
  • Ciara Devaraj
    9 years ago
    Our dog somehow managed to hide ginger cookies behind the cushions on two different couches and a chair. We were wondering why she wasn't eating her food that day. :)
  • Emily
    9 years ago
    Phone!!
  • Wendy Christensen
    9 years ago

This is by far the best Houzz poll, ever!

• Mark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My better half had a new sofa delivered to the house. I was alone that day to receive it. Once it was delivered I sat down on it and was admiring the great taste of my sweet darling spouse. Then and I urge you to sit down if your weak at heart because when I reached down into the back of a cushion I felt this thin piece of cardboard and I pulled it out and my face drained of all blood, I became shaky and my hand started to tremble and I could not breath at what was written on this cardboard....................I could not believe my eyes, was I dreaming, for there written in bold numbers was.........get ready que the scarey music DUN DUN DUUUUN !!!! THE PRICE TAG
    :)

• PRO
    ethan allen staten island new york
    9 years ago

Our very dead and skeletal hamster named Flex. Still don't know why we named her that....Yuck
    Abbie

• lake1114
    9 years ago

eeewww don't you people ever vacuum your sofas! LOL nothing put crumbs and one lost credit card for me oh and the remote of course-thank goodness!

• rredpenn
    9 years ago

OMG I have not laughed so hard in so long! Flex the Hamster! Obviously that was a good name...you didn't notice, did you, that you were sitting on it? LOL

I'm sorry, but that is funny! :)

• thickskin
    9 years ago

After my son's girlfriend left for the night, next morning I found her bra. I put it in his room. Nothing was asked, nothing was said.

• Apartment Dweller
    9 years ago

I lost my old iPod Touch years ago and I'd given up the hope of finding it. When we moved recently, it fell out of the recliner when the mover unwrapped it at the new place.

• User
    9 years ago
    When the skids were young, I used to find utensils. How does someone not know that they dropped the spoon for their ice cream? Wouldn't you notice it was no longer going into your mouth?
  • CB Mililani
    9 years ago
    Granddaughter found my long-lost electronic translator (I had searched in vain for it for months) plus the mouthpiece for a recorder in the side of a recliner.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    My niece found her father's tightly whitey's in the couch after he stayed at her place with his girlfriend...that was scarring.
  • Cristiane Kruger
    9 years ago
    A dead rat. I lived in a house in Brooklyn infested with rats.
  • David Rozas
    9 years ago
    I found this hole under the left cushion that had a button next to it.. Once you pressed the button you could open the hatch and you were automatically brought into the future.. But only by about 45 seconds... So not really that good unless watching live TV and can't forward through commercials... That's about all it was good for. :(
  • alex8200
    9 years ago

My daughter's calculator, that had tons of math functions, that she used for high school trig. Of course, I found it months after I bought her a new one for $75.

• lake1114
    9 years ago

fissfiss-ewww

• gina55
    9 years ago

I have a couple. First, I had purchased a new sofa from a reputable store in our city. After arranging the living room and being satisfied with the placement of everything, we decided to call it a night and relax on our new furniture. I sat down, leaned back and wiggled myself into position only to feel a pain in the back of my leg. Every time I moved it hurt so my husband came over and discovered that a curved sewing needle had been left in the cushion under the upholstery and I was lucky enough to "find" it. Another time, I was working in a decorating store. We had received a shipment of the extra large pillows that were so popular to use for floor seating. I bought one for each of our sons. One night one of the kids came down carrying the pillow and he stood there shaking it in front of me. I could hear liquid, and after pressing on it I could feel a small can. I cut open the pillow and there was a small can of Dole pineapple juice surrounded by the pillow stuffing!! That's the best I've got. LOL

• User
    9 years ago

my three roommates. our second hand couch was so slack they dressed up as the couch for a halloween party. they could hide behind the cushions completely and pop their heads and limbs out to scare people.

• User
    9 years ago
    Oh kaak, that is a great story!
  • iowavette
    9 years ago

Furnished refreshed living room with better furniture selected with help of a designer. I like it and it still looks pretty darned good. Was thrilled to have company over and a comfortable and attractive place to convene. The couch is off white but was told by designer that it was protected and would clean well. Don't know why but guys just want to stretch out and crush the decorative pillows under their head as if they're at their own home! I'd never do that at their house. Imagine my surprise when laying pillows down in prep for covers (use lawn furniture covers to keep furball cats off) to find that someone had spilled their coffee leaving large blotches on both the left back and bottom cushions. Whoever did it, kept it to themselves. Were they raised by wolves or what?! Now, I uncover the furniture when guests are over but let them cram themselves into the kitchen area and dining room rather than invite them into the living room. Don't lecture me either. I don't mind the nicks and dings furniture inevitably collects. They are signs of life lived. Unreported spills are a whole other situation.

• Maebemary
    9 years ago

We were staying at a mountain home with friends, neither of us owned it. I found a passport of someone we knew stuffed between the sofa cushions, small world!

• bj5225
    9 years ago
    When I brought my Lazyboy sectional out of storage I found a baby pacifier -- but the 'baby' is now 7 years old.
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Hmmm... Let me go look!
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Well that was disgusting! I was not even temped to eat the M&M I found. But I did find a silver earring my daughter recently lost. I think I will make her pay a ransom to get it back - vacuum the sofa crevices. :-)
  • sandiocd
    9 years ago
    We found pizza crusts that our dachshund was stashing in a corner of the sofa jammed down behind a cushion. We had pizza one weekend, and everyone gave him the crusts. We thought he had been eating them!
  • chloebud
    9 years ago

It wasn't exactly our sofa, but some years ago we bought a rental property full of the previous owner's belongings. He had passed away, and the property sat for several years. When it was finally cleared for selling, we bought it. Everything inside became ours, and we found quite a bit of money in the sofa cushions. He'd also stashed money in empty prescription bottles...everywhere. I can't complain about finding the money, but I felt invasive going through all that stuff. After doing a thorough check for more cash, we sold most of the furniture (and anything else of any value) to an auction house. We rented the condo and still have the same renters there. Not a bad real estate deal!

• pabound
    9 years ago
    nothing weird in the couch, but when the piano tuner came he found a dinner fork inside the piano . . . which I said must have been a tuning fork.
  • User
    9 years ago
    ;p
  • Cory
    8 years ago
    A bag of weed! My mom told me they were cloves....Guess they had a party while I was gone?
  • Gretchen
    8 years ago
    Actually our dog must have found something interesting because we came home to a shredded and totally destroyed sofa!
  • dlangford0098
    8 years ago

Just last week my daughter went digging deep for something she had just lost and in the process she found an ipod she lost in 2007. She charged it up and ran with it the next day and it worked perfectly!

• Jessica Kerry Mack
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Probably me! I loved building castles out of the sofa cushions as a child and would hide in the sofa all day sometimes. :) Photo not of me, I found it on the internet, but my creations would have been similar.

• alice68
    8 years ago

In a client's summer house, that had just been opened for the season, I needed to move the sofa a bit to measure for draperies. When the couch was moved, out came a 6 foot long black snake. Yikes! What a surprise! I sent the installer to do the installation solo on that one.

• denisegetson
    8 years ago

My husband was helping me clean our rental vacation home located in the mountains. He found a poker for the fireplace wedged way down in the back of the sofa. Still can't figure out why and how but we did have a good laugh!

• Irene Jimenez
    8 years ago

I found mushrooms growing in my cousin's disgusting old dirty couch. Yuck.

• Bev
    8 years ago

Besides the food that all of us dropped on the sofa when eating there, I used to lose beads (I make jewelry) way down in the sofa where it's very hard to get to them! Also small buttons and snaps when sewing.

• chloebud
    8 years ago

@Irene Jimenez...ahhh the sofa and mushroom situtation! I used to know someone who pulled out his sofa one day and found the carpet behind and underneath it loaded with mushrooms. Yes, YUCK!

• laoshimama
    8 years ago
    My phone... But it wasn't underneath the cushions. Somehow it got inside the upholstered back. My phone was on vibrate and I kept calling it so I could track it down. I could hear buzzing but it took me a while to figure out where in the couch it was.
  • PRO
    Absolute Kitchen & Granite
    8 years ago

I always find my dogs bones buried in my sofa!

• luvourhome
    8 years ago

Cat treats (and we don't have a cat). The best we could figure is that they fell out of a guest's pocket or purse.

A driver's license, oops. It turned out to be my old one. I had it replaced and then found the original license when vacuuming. It had slipped between the leather seat cushions. I sometimes sort receipts from my wallet on the couch during commercials. I must have dropped it by accident.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

gosh make my day why don't you. thanks everyone!

• brendadallas
    3 years ago

My daughter's James Avery charm bracelet. Not actually in cushions but on cloth lining at bottom of a recliner. By the time I found it she was past the charm bracelet stage.

• G W
    3 years ago

Once, many years ago, we were hosting a multi-night guest sleeping on our pull out sofa. One morning my dad folded up the couch for the day, sat down to read the paper, and heard a muffled "mrowr". He'd folded the cat up in the couch. She was very grumpy, but unharmed. More recently, my husband and I adopted what turned out to be a very anxious dog. He chewed holes in the sofa as we worked through his anxiety, and the cats used them as hidey-holes, and would pop out like prairie dogs.

• Skilan Bowen
    last year

here is a link to my youtube to what i found in my sofa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

• sherry52
    last year

Not me but a friend had a sofa in her office at a large downtown bank building. Many people sat there over the years and weekly staff meetings were held in her office. When moving to a new floor they found mummified rat babies in the back crevice. The couch didn’t make the move.