Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24144954

old fashioned Christmas cactus has mold in soil

User
9 years ago

I have an old fashioned Christmas cactus that has had a mold problem for years. There are small little spores all around the inside of the pot. The water was even coming out yellow from it. I let it dry out between waterings. I have cleared away the soil and replaced it but the mold returned. Has anyone used hydrogen peroxide in the soil?

Comments (33)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can see it growing out of the bottom of the pot.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The whole inside has become full in all three of my plants.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

What potting mix are you using?

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Look at images of root mealybug and see if that looks like what you have. I can't see the pic clearly.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its definitely mold smells moldy. I have washed soil away and it comes back. I have used miracle grow cactus soil in the past. Now I always add perlite to potting soil. Sometimes I add vermiculite. I have horticulture grade charcoal to add as well. I know that zygo cactus and schlumbergera are epiphytes in the wild. Im just not sure that I want to pot them in orchid bark. I have looked at als gritty mix recipe but those items are hard to find here. I looked yesterday. I worry that they wouldn't be stable in their pots in a bark or gravel mix.

• gerber_daisey12
    9 years ago

Are you using the same planter? Maybe try a new planter or wash the planter out in a diluted bleach and water mixture.

9 years ago

I can confirm that bark is more than stable enough. Mostly orchid, a pinch of potting mix, and a little perlite....and your plants will thrive.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so does the bark mold? Does it dry out super fast. I really appreciate all of the help from everyone.

9 years ago

It doesn't dry out super fast...not with a properly sized pot.

I've seen fungus at different times of the year, but it has never affected my holiday cacti.

Josh

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

I'm sure bark it could mold but normal growing conditions for your holiday cacti would make it very very difficult for bark to mold At first bark does tend to dry a little faster, after a watering routine has been established it shouldn't dry as quickly.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do the plants get nutrients? Do you have to fertilize them more? I just rinsed all the soil away from the one that had it the worst. I am assuming the extra air would make the mold uncomfortable so to speak. I am afraid that I won't know how to water it anymore. Especially how often and when it's time to water. I am tempted to dunk the roots in bleach water. I love my plants, but does anyone ever feel like they are a hassle and want to give up?

9 years ago

No, I've never felt like giving up.

I fertilize my plants. Slow-release like Osmocote makes it very easy, and then I supplement with a high quality liquid fertilizer, too.

Watering is so easy. You aim the hose/sprayer at the container, and you water. If you think the bark isn't absorbing moisture, just put your finger over the drainage hole, fill the container until saturated, then remove finger. I water 1 - 2 times a week during the Summer.

Josh

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help. I see that you have jade plants. Have you ever dealt with mealybugs on succulents and pothos? What is the best method for killing mealybug?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the plant since I repotted it I'm hoping it pulls through.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Looks good!

Jane

9 years ago

Thank G-d I've never dealt with mealybugs....at least I don't think so.

Your plant looks very good.

Josh

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

vermiculite? that holds water. was the plant in that mix when it mildewed?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not add vermiculite to the mix I cooked up for this Christmas cactus. Its orchid bark perlite, horticultural charcoal and some miracle grow cactus soil. The old soil was a mix of black gold potting soil and miracle grow cactus soil. This is a reoccurring issue. The clay pots don't get the mold quite as bad. Someone suggested soil mealybug but I just don't think that's what it is. I bought an aescanthus or lip stick plant at a show last week that has a very similar looking mold on the soil surface. I'll post a picture of that.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can you make out the small white balls in upper middle of picture?

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

yes, I've never seen anything like it.

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

Is the room you keep this in damp? How is the air circulation?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lipstick vine came with the mold. These plants have not been any where near each other.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not figured out how to post a new discussion so I guess that I will post it here. What's going on with my moses in the cradle plants? They have been changing color to a golden colo. I didn't think that they could get too much sun... I repotted this one. As you can see the pothos next to it are doing okay in this southern exposure.

• qld01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looking at your photo it is definitely not root mealy bug, I've had root mealy bug a lot. The little white balls look just like fungus I've had in my cactus and it came from the bark in my cactus mix which was not composted enough before I bought it. And it kept happening even after I washed the roots and changed to a dearer cactus mix and scrubbed out my mix drums. I tried drenching the mix with a fungicide but it kept returning, eventually it just went away on its own, it didn't seem to have any real effect on plant growth though. We are in a humid region here but went through a pretty bad drought for a couple of years so that may have helped kill it off. Root mealy bug is a much worse problem here, I've lost so many plants, cactus and tropical, I now use a biological solution, a crypto bug that loves mealy bug of all sorts.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Please tell me where you get the crypto bugs and can you release them indoors or is that a bad idea? What do they eat if you don't have mealy bug left?

• qld01
    8 years ago

The ones I use are called Cryptolaemus montrouzieri, they're an Australian native ladybird beetle, I'm in south east Queensland, in Australia, but from what I understand the company export to other countries, below is a bit of the blurb from the company I get them from, Bugs for Bugs:

Mealybug predator

""Cryptolaemus montrouzieri

Cryptolaemus are Australian native ladybird beetles. They are very efficient
    natural enemies of mealybugs. Cryptolaemus have been exported to many other
    countries and are recognised as powerful predators of mealybugs worldwide.

The adult beetle is about 4mm long with an orange head and black wing covers.
    The larvae grow to 13mm long and are covered in waxy filaments. The larvae look
    very much like mealybugs and are often confused with them. Adult female beetles
    lay up to ten eggs per day directly into mealybug eggmasses. They can lay up to
    500 eggs in total. Adult beetles and young larvae feed on mealybug eggs and
    young stages. Large cryptolaemus larvae can also consume adult mealybugs. The
    life cycle takes from 4 to 7 weeks depending on temperature.

In addition to mealybugs, Cryptolaemus will also feed readily on many species
    of soft scales including black scale, pulvinaria scale and cottony cushion
    scale.""

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/cryptolaemus-information/

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/products/bio-control-agents/

I've only ever released them in my shade house and just outside but they work absolute wonders, I also use lacewing larvae from the same company, they also have parasitic wasps for mealybugs.

I had a huge problem with mealy bug, especially root mealy bug, for a long time, tried all sorts of horrible solutions, I have over 500 potted plants just in my shade house and I was losing so many plants, more through the useless solutions than the mealy bug but these little cuties fixed them in a few weeks. That was about two years ago and mealy bug numbers are only now starting to build up again so they must survive on something else.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I see this problem often when using the "sterilized" mediums. The MG and the generic store brand stuff you buy from the garden center.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

When introducing predators, it's important to get those native to your area. There are irresponsible places that will send any critters they have to anywhere.

• qld01
    8 years ago

I'm sure the bio-security protocols in the US are as strict as ours are in Australia and this particular company is very ethical and very responsible so they would not export to any country that does not allow this particular predator. Having said that if there are companies in the US selling biological pest controls suitable it would be best to source directly from them, but they also may not be 'native' to your particular area either.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The plant is healthier than ever in a part orchid bark soil