Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolfiorello

Television next to fireplace

carolfiorello
11 years ago
My television needs to be next to fireplace. Need to buy a stand so should I position television above, below or half way beside mantel?? Have not decide on mirror on mantel yet

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    11 years ago
    The TV is awkward in this location on a stand. Consider hanging the TV. A nice way to create an art element out of a TV is to add a frame box around the TV. For some of my clients projects, I have added picture frame molding to the front face edge of the TV fame. Hang the TV base level with the top of the mantle.

www.scottsceativehome.com
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    I would aim to get the top of the TV in line with the mantle. This would continue the visual line and be a comfortable height for viewing.

Have you tried putting the mirror landscape rather than portrait? It looks too squashed to the angled ceiling. If you don't keep it I would suggest a round or oval one for the space as there are a lot of hard angles.
  • Norma Sassone
    11 years ago
    I agree with Dytecture and make the unit white with crown moldings like your mantel.
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If I hang the TV base at mantle level or just below, what can I put below it?? Need something for cable box, wires, etc. What should I look for? Wouldn't mirror end up almost level with TV if I flip it side ways?? I'm stuck with this above mantle situation also.
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Nothing in this room is white, thinking black. Space is not that big, so it's all TV and cabinet
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    What is on the other side of the FP? Can u take a pic please?
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    On other side is a small wall ( not using table showing) and goes off to 4 season sunroom.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Some pics: examples of different types/heights...I know the placement is not quite the same: I think the taller white one looks better than a short, darker one.
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What if TV was half way on mantle.. I have dark furniture. It's low now, but I don't want it as high as above.. Thanx, these comments are really helping!!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    If I were to hang the t.v. on the wall I think I would try to hang it about mid-way...as in: middle horizontal point of t.v screen level with mantle. I would have someone hold it up there, stand back and look at it. If it's too high you'll be able to tell. If u use a cabinet, I think a white cabinet would blend better with your FP and not be opposing it so much as a dark cabinet since they will be so close together...but I could be wrong too.
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    11 years ago
    I did this for one of my clients. Looks great. The TV height can be where ever you want just balance with floating shelves that have the same detail as your mantel.
  • PRO
    Wallmark Custom Homes
    11 years ago
    Agree with Dytecture, a nice white cabinet that matches the height of the door will make the TV look like less of an after thought.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    And I did see some pics of t.v.'s on a wall with floating shelves and that looks nice too.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    As far as the mirror goes I think you should do a round mirror instead of the rectangular one, it will work better with the angled ceiling
  • Norma Sassone
    11 years ago
    Love Jamie Hobbs' right hand photo with the cabinet. Good TV watching is best at your sitting eye level. And the cabinet blends in with the white mantel.
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Think I like white cabinet idea or floating shelves. My concern is my darker furniture with the white
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I understand how u feel, but your FP is white, and the cabinet will be right next to it, and in my thoughts, white would look better. You can add darker decor on shelves, etc if u are afraid it won't tie in with furniture, but my thoughts r that your white FP ties in & so would a white unit for the tv:) I feel like if it blends with the FP more, it won't seem like it's competing as much as a focal point. Also agree with floating shelves too..u have a lovely home and either will look great!!
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What if I do shelves and shelf under TV in white. TV half of mantle. Trying not to have a big expense for this project. So much more to do. And yes, the white FP does tie in!!!! You all have been very helpful!!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I think that's a good idea, please show results:)
  • carolfiorello
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your help!!
  • PRO
    DAYORIS Custom Woodwork
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Check our website dayoriscustom.com for ideas on TV furniture designs and styles. Our TV furniture are all custom made using high quality wood and textures, offering a great deal of elegance to your surrounding.

Sincerely,
    The DAYORIS CUSTOM Team
  • suezbell
    7 years ago

Can you add castors or feet to your existing tv stand to raise its heights so the height of the top of the tv is level with the top of the mantel? Then make what is above the mantel and above the tv compliment each other.

My personal preference is to have my tv just above my eye level whilst sitting in a high back chair, usually w/my head relaxed against the headrest/back of the chair.

Any art or mirror or clock above a mantel would look best actually hung on the wall and the mantel itself left empty or mostly empty.