Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Another soaker week

Lisa_H OK
9 years ago

So this just came through my FB feed...and from our "moderate" weatherman. Even Jay should be getting good rain!

Four inches?

Comments (11)

• oldbusy1
    9 years ago

I guess I will just wait for it then. I think I've got all the garden planted. I do have a little room left and may put some sweet taters out when they get ready to plant. I was slow getting them started this year.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

I've been watching the Weather Prediction Center's QPF all weekend, using the high amount of rain forecast by it to motivate me to work my way through the outdoors chore list before the rain gets here. The amount it is forecasting for my county has dropped a little the last two days, but it is still far too much on top of all that we have had.

No rain is expected here until tomorrow, so I have one more day to try to finish up the To Do List. We don't really need more rain but I guess we're gonna get it anyway. Some of the local ranchers have been racing against time to get their first hay cutting cut, dried and baled. I bet they'll be trying to get that finished up today. Today we'll be mowing, I hope, because if we don't get it done today, we may not be able to mow for another week at the earliest.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if all the rain forecast to hit our place would shift into SW OK and fill up some of those lakes that still need a lot more runoff to help them refill. I appreciate having rain but too much at once is still too much.

Click here to see the QPF.

Qualitative Precipitation Forecast

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

Personally I like to shoot the news people to the moon! They reported: the rain will be with us again, maybe we need to build an ark? You need your rain jacket. There is still time to upload the local weather ap

YIKES, people get a grip.

I LOVE this weather! Of course, I was out riding on the back of the tandem this morning, and got rained out, while working on my fence.... but then, there was a break, and I got the first row of slats up.

My yard looks nice and green.

I LOVE the rain.

:)

Chime in, if you enjoy the rain too.

Moni

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I walked out of work expecting it to be really yucky....winter is not far enough in my memory :) But it was really actually lovely.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

I love rain up to a point, but when everything starts floating downhill, or plants are drowning in water that has been waterlogged for 4-6 weeks, I start loving it less, that's all. I've got larkspur plants rotting off at the soil line and beans in raised beds that still are far too wet and their foliage shows their unhappiness. A lot of my plants were really perking up and looking happy these last few days as the sun and wind dried up at least the top inch or two of the soil, but now it is raining again, and rain is in our forecast every day for seemingly forever...or at least the next 6 or 7 days.

I worked outside today, including working in light rain until thunder and lightning arrived and forced me to go inside. It was beautiful all day, but a sort of bittersweet beautiful, knowing that the rain was going to arrive and force me indoors where household chores are not nearly as much fun as being out in the yard and garden. I go stir crazy when stuck indoors in spring.

We have tons of happy frogs, toads and turtles. Oh, and mosquitoes and black flies. The fire ants? Not so happy. Our son found them carrying dirt up the exterior wall of his house and attempting to build a fire ant mound in the attic of his home, which is under construction. A little bit of orange oil mixed with water took care of that ant nonsense, but we were laughing as we sprayed, saying "I wonder what the ants know that we don't know?" Usually they just pop up out of the ground and have an above-ground mound, and we've never seen them try to take up residence in an attic before.

It is crazy how some lakes are refilling so quickly, but it is a good kind of crazy, and will continue to be good until downstream flooding begins.

Lee, It feels like that kind of year, so I'm not surprised to hear that the long-range projection shows continued rainfall. I hope all the lakes fill up and the aquifers recharge, and maybe California will get lucky and some of our rain will get lost and find its way there instead.

• wulfletons
    8 years ago

2.2 inches for us last night. The roads in Harrah were a bit of a washed out mess this morning, so I'm guessing they may have gotten more. I have always wanted to grow celeriac, but have never lived in a climate where I thought they would thrive--it sounds like they need cool and damp. I might have had a decent shot this year! Next week looks to be pretty cool again (but maybe drier).

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We got about 2.6 in North OKC

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

looks like about 1.48 south of tulsa

• oldbusy1
    8 years ago

got a couple of tenths for the week so far. it better hurry if it hits 4"

• okoutdrsman
    8 years ago

I'm thinking if someone comes up with an idea for plant floatees they could get rich! If anyone came up short on rain, I'll share....

That said, this is the first time my pond has overflowed in several years. Our mesonet gage shows 2.11, but it's far enough away, I don't always go by what it says. I'd say we got a little more than that. Guess it's time to invest in a rain gage?

Looks like most of the eastern Oklahoma lakes will be opening their floodgates in the near future. The lakes in western Oklahoma aren't recovering nearly as well. The major ones are from 6-24' below normal.