Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Separate beverage fridge - Yes or no?

Emily H
8 years ago

How do you feel about a separate refrigerator just for drinks? (Not just a wine fridge)

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

First Place - National Kitchen and Bath Association Design Competition - Mequon, · More Info

Yes!
No.
Other - tell us about it!

Comments (134)

• PRO
    Misani Custom Kitchens
    8 years ago

Totally yes with the provision that you have the space to fit it! My clients that have one love it. There are also refrigerator drawers that serve the same purpose but can be paneled to match cabinetry so no one needs to know how you're storing you stuff! A functional solution for the kitchen.

• PRO
    AUDIL & BDB | bau consult & design
    8 years ago
    This gives a litle bit of Bistro feeling and it will be more energy efficient.

Best Fred from AUDIL | architects
    bc23.com & audil.arq.br
  • J K
    8 years ago

@verj--I'll take that refrigeration combo six times any day! :-)

I like the ease of refrigerator drawers, but I'm concerned about glass bottles falling over--and they are very pricey....seems like less storage compared to an under counter fridge, but not as much bending down. Any thoughts?

We are renovating the kitchen in a newly purchased home. I absolutely want a separate beverage fridge. In my current 36" french door, wine bottles are too tall, and half of the fridge is consumed by nearly two gallons of OJ, milk, the occasional bottle of lemonade, and beer. We don't generally have bottled water since we have a purifier, or beverages with HFCS, (my kids nor I have never had a cavity), but we keep soda on hand for guests and entertaining. I also want a place where guests and kids can see the beverages help themselves without going into my refrigerator (with the exception of course of kids and alcoholic beverages!) And finally, I want beverages poured and served from a different location than where I am cooking.

Originally, we were going to go with a 48" ref/fr, and put the existing french door fridge in the laundry room when a designer suggested putting larger refrigeration in the kitchen--a 36" fr and 36" fridge. My kitchen designer mentioned that the one regret a former client with a similar renovation and family size regretted was going with only the 48" built in. Still--even with the 36" fridge, it is not where I want my beverages. We had considered a 48" plus a 30" over/under glass door unit to be used for beverages, extra ice and frozen snacks, similar to veryj, but instead of the wine fridge, a regular fridge. However we have decided on a separate beverage unit under the counter in the bar area plus the two 36" units since it will maximize storage space and we don't need that much wine storage as we don't chill much wine (we drink mostly red). We will put the extra fridge in the garage to store surplus to re-stock the beverage fridge, but it is not where I want to have to go to get beverages or other food--especially in the winter. Often, refrigerator thermostats won't work in a garage during the cold northern winters.

We will also have a small fridge in the bonus room where our work-out equipment will be for gatorade--along with a water purifier for drinking water, and some drinks for the kids entertaining their friends.

• Lynda
    8 years ago
    We don't need one in the kitchen for daily use - we don't drink sodas or bottled water (tap water is fine for us), and it's is just the two of us.

However, we have a bonus room that we plan to eventually remodel into an entertaining space with built-in bar, and we will definitely put a small bar fridge plus wine fridge there.

If our master bedroom suite had the space, I would put in a small coffee bar with a small sink and mini fridge. That way we could enjoy coffee in bedroom while getting ready in the morning, rather than having to go to kitchen to get that first (and second) cup.
  • mefoutch
    8 years ago

We have, what we call here in the south, a "garage fridge" or a "beer fridge". It's an older model fridge/freezer that we use as a beverage fridge. It's mostly beer and bottled water! It's nice to have the extra freezer space, too. The only down side to having a beer fridge is if you leave your garage door open after the sun goes down, you leave yourself open to teenagers stealing the beer! Yup, it does happen!

• Toni BK
    8 years ago

I am all for a separate beverage fridge. It keep my veggies from being smashed by beer bottles.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For some the poll should be, "Separate food fridge - yes or no?"

• sacapuntaslapioz
    8 years ago

I keep 2 full size refrigerators in my kitchen. one at a lower temperature in both freezer and refrigerator for meat, chicken and beverages (kept barely above freezing) and a second one for ice cream, frozen fruit and vegetables, and fresh food. Food stays fresh much longer. I also keep a separate big freezer where I keep all my dogs food (they eat raw frozen)

I had a wine/beverages refrigerator once and did not like it.

• J K
    8 years ago

Mark Bischak, If your fridge is full of beverages, there is no room left for food....so which is better for some a separate beverage fridge, or a fruit and veggie or snack refrigerator drawer elsewhere?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

It's a matter of priorities.

• cljakl
    8 years ago
    When we did a remodel we had enough room for a wine refrig. The model we got has two drawers on the bottom for drinks which is wonderful!! Keeps people from opening the main refrig constantly, and frees up space. Prior to that had an old refrig in garage for drinks. Necessary? Probably not, but very convenient!!
  • PRO
    CLS Construction Llc
    8 years ago
    J K - aside of the fridge and wine cooler posted we also have a fridge with a freezer and another separate freezer in the garage! Believe it or not is very convenient for our pool parties! My husband got tired of buying the bottle beer and finally he got a keg and put it in that fridge! We are one big party house!lol...
  • J K
    8 years ago

Hi veryJ, the 36" french door currently in our new/old house will head to the garage. We should will have enough freezer space between the drawer and the 36". I was reading up on beer kegerators yesterday.....Would be great if my hubby didn't work so many hours and could enjoy a beer more often. I will be entertaining more teenagers--best to hid the keg and stick with the bottles and a lock on the beverage fridge! :-)

• PRO
    CLS Construction Llc
    8 years ago
    J K For us works well the garage one because my husband and his friends are most of the time in the driveway on the side of the house talking and enjoying our hot rod or at the pool... Our kids( boys)are 8 and 2 years old so we will hold on on the locks for a little while longer...the wine cooler in the house is perfect for winter entertainment when is hard to go out and grill and drink...We took care of that... We put a 60" range with a grill and griddle in the kitchen ... Outside at the pool side( we have 3 grills , 2 of them are smokers too)... Yeah big parties here!
  • J K
    8 years ago
    Hi veryj....I know this is off the Bev fridge topic, but how do you like the indoor grill? I've heard they don't get hot enough, but neither does an outdoor grill in below freezing temps! I'm planning a grill and griddle also so I can grill indoor in the winter too. Only a 48" though. I love your kitchen!
  • PRO
    CLS Construction Llc
    8 years ago
    Oh! I can't tell you how much we love it , we are still in the middle of whole house renovation! We had it for almost 2 years , two cold winters in MD. We are eating way healthier... We are grilling fish veggies , beef...whatever...for us and for guests.It gets hot , my husband is the expert and he loves it and says it gets plenty hot for anything you want . I am sorry I dot have a picture of the action... Just a little breakfast thing...we still need the island and a TV cabinet on the left wall above the counter, backsplash and lighting...and the rest of the house of course...
  • Deborah Strobel
    8 years ago
    We drink so much that it is handy to just go to get a variety of beverages at a colder temperature than food needs to be kept at
  • Momof5x
    8 years ago

I have a normal fridge which has all kinds of soft drinks, buttermilk drinks, sodas and milk on the tops shelves, and on the lower ones I keep fruit or extra veggies when no space in other fridge.

• hutchisonc
    8 years ago

Yes, it provides balance in this space. We have one beverage center and love it. Its the most frequently used and the regular fridge isn't opened as often. We also can keep the beverage center at the temp we like.

• janetherrick
    8 years ago

We have a uline drawer fridge for drinks and it is wonderful! I love it!

• Liza Anne
    8 years ago

I vote yes! Beverages take up SO much space in the fridge -- juice, milk, soda, cream, more juice, beer, wine -- there is hardly any room for food once you get all the bev stuffed in there! If I had the kitchen space (which I don't) I would definitely consider a dedicated beverage fridge.

• saltcitybabe
    8 years ago

You all need to go to Europe. No wonder we are the most consuming country. Who is still consuming all this soda, milk, creamers and canned juices? I have seen wondrous meals appear in Germany, England and Poland from under the counter fridges and kitchens the size of a small mud room. I am embarrassed to admit I have two full side by sides. One is in the basement full size kitchen (the old white one) and one (Stainless) is in the main kitchen. There are two people living here. There is no soda, fruit juice or canned goods allowed. We drink water, wine or beer. We are Vegans. Never mind....I have no room to talk.

• Liza Anne
    8 years ago

I've been to Europe, many times, my husband is from England. And for your information, we have many friends who have large families, live in large homes, entertain a lot, and enjoy that AMERICAN lifestyle. Why are you "embarrassed" by owning two fridges? Apparently not too much, as you are willing to admit it out here on the great wide internets. You are VERY right. You have zero room to talk - so why did you even bother. It was a pointless and unnecessary post, just to belittle my comment. Classy - really classy.

• Donna O
    8 years ago

Keeps the refrigerator from opening and closing all day long just for drinks! Like it!

• Laurel Ennis
    8 years ago

We got a bar fridge when our old fridge was being repaired. It came in so handy we kept using it for juice, sodas, snacks we could grab and go.

• Teresa Smith
    8 years ago

My uncle who lives in Europe believes we are seriously spoiled as a nation. At times I have to agree. I don't need a restaurant size fridge in my home and I certainly don't need a unique fridge for the soda pop and or wine. There again, I wish I could afford the electric bill to run those items in my home. But that is me and my budget, but boy I wish I could afford to have special fridges in my home.

• Gail Fuller
    8 years ago
    I have had a beverage center in the kitchen now for 15 years, we don't entertain much but when we do I need to reserve all the refrigerator space that I can for food. Guests feel more comfortable helping themselves to a drink in the beverage cooler. Of course, a plastic cooler on the back porch would also work for company.
  • kathrynscanlon
    8 years ago

Imagine my surprise when I saw the picture that was posted! Here is a portion of our recent remodel! If the one in this article won a design award, it would seem that we are at least on the right track! Yes, I would get a beverage fridge all over again. It takes the pressure off of the kitchen fridge when you have additional space for bottled beverages. We usually had so many craft brews, fizzy waters, and sodas in our main fridge that we were constantly shuffling things around to make space for the food. Now there is a dedicated space for a bar area with liquor and glasses stored above. Our main fridge is not huge, so this provides storage for overflow food when we entertain as well. No need for a wine fridge for us. We find that the cooler temps that this fridge provides are far more versatile, while being able to chill wine as well.

• kranno
    8 years ago
    Our electric bill has not changed at all since before we remodeled the kitchen and added the beverage fridge, added pot lights, convection range, and other new appliances.
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    8 years ago
    Who drinks that much other than water? Not for us
  • printesa
    8 years ago

@veryj, is that wine cooler/fridge combo a Sub-Zero? I am looking for a unit that has wine storage and some fridge for the bar area and I can't really find something..Vinotemp has one, but seems a bit small.

• PRO
    CLS Construction Llc
    8 years ago
    Printesa, yes it is! It is a Sub-Zero wine cooler with two refrigerated drawers. We use the drawers every day and we love it!
  • cljakl
    8 years ago
    here is the Sub-Zero wine refrig with drawers for drinks. Love it!! Keeps the main refrig from being open constantly. We haven't noticed any change in our electric bill.
  • printesa
    8 years ago

Thank you both for the info! I will look at it and see how it will work in our space. We are finishing the basement and I need a wine cooler/fridge combo for that area. Thanks again!

• PRO
    Misani Custom Kitchens
    8 years ago

Totally agree that these units are practical and serve many functions BUT they are not for the 'every man' . I just costed the Fisher Paykal drawers for my own renovation and was surprised to learn they were over $2,000.00 -- more than I'm spending on my all frig!! Just sayin'....

• printesa
    8 years ago

Yes, they are expensive..I've been looking at Vinotemp, Marvel and Sub-Zero...different prices, different opinions..the last two are the most expensive

• Adriana Minck
    8 years ago
    I am very organized and have set the top shelf of the fridge as the beverage shelf...I hate so much when my husband puts a 12 pack of pop on the 3rd shelf and hate going to people's houses where they put their drinks in the crispers....ugh. I would love a fridge just for drinks.
  • Jane Smith
    8 years ago
    Prefer having wine fridge-- also stores soft drinks & bottle water, beer---no opening family refrigerator....
    Great during football season for guests to serve themselves while group watches games!
  • nkahovec
    8 years ago

Not necessary in the kitchen, but I do admit we have an extra refrigerator in the basement for beverages and other foods, but the only reason we have that is because we got a new refrigerator for the kitchen and didn't want to get rid of the old refrigerator that still worked. Once that dies, we will most likely not replace it. I do admit the extra refrigerator has been useful when all 4 sons are home-more food in the house-and when we have parties (wedding reception in backyard for 100 people or graduations....). Now, there is mostly just beer in the basement fridge -husband works at s brewery. However, there are moments when I do wonder whether to get a beverage fridge in the kitchen for resale/upgrade-there is space and outlet already available.

• rosiebeach
    8 years ago
    Theresah,

What brand did you buy? Are you happy with the quietness? I'm looking for a quiet one, and will donate the big extra garage fridge to the local Boys and Girls Club!
  • Stephen Fox
    8 years ago

I bought two Viking under-counter units, their beverage center and wine cooler - BIG MISTAKE. I would never buy Viking again. Badly designed, does not keep a low enough temperature, cannot maintain a stable temperature, very noisy, and terrible customer service. I suggest Sub Zero.

• theresah
    8 years ago

Rosiebeach,

Maytag, very quiet & holds so much. We've had for almost 3 years now & I am still a huge fan. It has two temp settings, if you want to store wine in the bottom section & water/sodas in the top.

• rosiebeach
    8 years ago
    Thank you for that!!
  • golden_gardens
    8 years ago

If we had room and budget for an undercounter beverage fridge, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Between the different boxed wines, three kinds of milk, and several types of juices - all in half gallons, and a few bottles of beer, my fridge is overrun by drinks and crowds out the food. We used to keep an extra fridge in the basement but now we don't have a basement in this house. We are trying to figure out what to do - it might be a cheap mini fridge in the laundry room to hold the wines and juices. We'll see.

• marvajones
    7 years ago
    I love the idea especially with children. Teenagers stand with frig door open just staring at the inside light for way too long
    Also it keeps my husband away from the leftovers
  • pejisan
    7 years ago

A lot of folks buy a new energy-saving fridge and then put the old junker in the garage where it is forced to work extra hard cooling garage-temp air! The irony...

Get rid of those garage fridges, especially energy-hogging older ones! For extra cooling space, it is better to have an energy-star drink fridge in the house where it only has to cool ambient house air.

• Jenny Harris
    7 years ago

We gave our 17 year old son a small refrigerator to keep sodas in in his basement bedroom.

• Crystal Ward
    3 years ago

I sure could have used one last Christmas. With the wine, bottled water (I'm constantly on a boil notice), coffee creamer, soda for mixed, etc. my poor turkey and all the leftover overs after dinner barely fit. I've recently got into making kombucha and have dead space in my peninsula cabinet, so for the practicality it is a yes.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

Where? For what kind of family? In what kind of house? The devil, as they say, is in the details.

• dcraider
    3 years ago

We went for fridge drawers and it may look nice (or not) to have all those beverages lined up but practically its easier to slide open, look down and make your selection rather then bend down and reach far in. Love keeping drinks separate and it's closer to our outside door to the patio.