Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corie_hall

No uppers, what did you do with your refrigerator?

Deck The Halls
9 years ago

I am planning on having only open shelving above my countertops in my new kitchen. I met with a kitchen designer yesterday and when we got to the counter depth, refrigerator and I said I wanted it free standing, the two designers looked at me like I was crazy. Visually, I can't grasp having one cabinet just around the refrigerator. It seems like it would become a focal point.

The refrigerator is on a separate, end wall from the rest of the kitchen so the sides will be mostly or fully visible. The only other thing with the refrigerator is a 3' section of countertop which would normally have cabinet/drawer unit underneath.

Now, I'm wondering if perhaps I should enclose that whole section somehow and perhaps do away with the countertop. I just don't know?

If you have no uppers or open shelving, what did you do with your refrigerator?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments (17)

• anitamo
    9 years ago

I would enclose it. Here is just one example of a fridge freestanding and one a little closed in to give you an idea.

The one with added upper cabinets look better IMHO.

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

What style are you going for?

• Oaktown
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, get a fridge with finished sides. The Big Chill that crl shows looks fantastic.

We have a similar setup to what you are considering, a freestanding fridge next to small counter space. Had to buy the stainless panels for the fridge skin. The 6-foot counter and drawers were designed to look like a furniture piece, something like this:

Historic cottage renovation kitchen · More Info
    You also might just use a cart or other furniture piece rather than s built in cabinet next to the fridge. You could use casters and a piece on top to bring it up to counter height if you like. Good luck!

• lenzai
    9 years ago

I was hoping someone would post the fun fridges! There's always SMEG too.

Contemporary Kitchen in Fulham · More Info

Victorian End-terrace House in Sevenoaks, Kent · More Info

• designsaavy
    9 years ago

We are remodeling now and have cabs on order. My frig is on small wall on other side of island and we are going to keep it there with frig surround and cab above and a 33" drawer base cab next to it with open shelving above with some pretty brackets for my cookbooks. So, the open shelves will butt against the frig surround on one side and nothing on other side of those shelves and base cab. Plan to put a toaster oven on the 33" base cab.

Sounds similar to your situation.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I would do what Crl showed (nice!) but I am planning a vintage kitchen. In older kitchens, you didn't hide the appliances, you celebrated them!

If you're doing a more modern kitchen....I think it depends on the fridge. With open shelves, I think you could enclose it or not, depending on the style. But, if you would have to lose a countertop to do it....I don't know if I would.

Sorry to be vague...can you post a picture? :)

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I am now jonesing for a bright red fridge!

• Amber
    9 years ago

Oh I'm in love with those Big Chill fridges!! Too bad hubby demands an in- the- door icemaker!!

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

I know. Those kitchens are so happy!

Tell hubby those are the most likely thing to break and could flood your kitchen causing lots of damage. It's a very persuasive argument (and it's kind of true). ;-)

Full disclosure, I'm too cheap to get a big chill. But when my current refrigerator dies, I'm hoping to get one of the newish budget vintage looking whirlpools or GEs.

• cluelessincolorado
    9 years ago

crl_, so true! I finally conceded on a fridge with an interior water dispenser and ice maker on our remodel. Only thing DH really wanted and I decided to play nice. Well, one month out of warranty the water line broke. Thank goodness we were home and I was in the basement wondering why the ceiling was dropping cold water on my head...

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, you've given me some great input.

Anitamo, Thanks for the photos, I had trouble finding any that showed a surround with open shelving! I agree the photo with the surround does look better.

Crl and Ienazi, Unfortunately, I already bought a stainless steel counter depth model. But, those Big Chill and Smeg models look amazing! I have a terra-cotta Lacanche range on it's way which is European, vintage and I really want that to be the focal point of the kitchen.

Oaktown and Designsaavy, I agree the finished sized does look best. And I like the idea of a cart or piece of furniture on the side. My overall design plan is more of an old world European style. If only I could find a surround that looks more like a piece of old furniture.

Lavendar_Lass, I agree and many of the European kitchens I've been in that is the same today, appliances just out where ever they fit. Many of the kitchens appear as if the kitchen came together over the years (which I'm sure they did) This was the inspiration for my original decision to just leave the refrigerator in the open and the surrounds I saw, at least yesterday felt too modern.

Amber, Crl, and Cluelesincolorado, I also gave in on the water dispenser, I hope I don't regret it!

Thanks again!

• designsaavy
    9 years ago

I'm on the lookout for a tall armoire for my kitchen. So, of course, IMO a furniture piece would look really nice in yours.

Wouldn't something like this be nice!! Although, more Old World in the detailed carving.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is beautiful and very close to what I imagined! Where did you find it? I'm meeting with a custom cabinet maker on Friday so I plan to take all these ideas and things I've learned to him to see what he can come up with. Thanks!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I googled it and found it! Thanks again.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Speaking of Smegs (and off topic): I was so jealous when I saw all the great prices on used Smegs on the UK Ebay site.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I met with a cabinet maker today and he had a great idea for the refrigerator. We will use breadboard on the exposed sides and the top shelf will run over the top of the refrigerator. My open shelves will be backed with breadboard so this will tie in nicely.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I have gotten so much from this web site and the wonderful people so willing to share and help out!