Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zerolotline

Water Pond Border Redo

Louis
8 years ago

Welcome to my dilemma and hope you can help.

My objective is to rid our water garden of its ubiquitous flat stone edging on the front and left side. The exposed liner extends approximately 12 to 18 inches. It will some how have to be disguised. I am considering burying the majority of the exposed liner. That entire area is in shade so mulch, Mexican beach or other type of pebbles, gray moss or some type of growing ground cover will replace the flat stones. Also have to prevent the new ground cover from getting into the water.

Our pond is about 18 years old and has gone through numerous renovations. Entirely DIY, 2500 gallons, in pond pump with external pressurized bio filter, 43 mil thick EDPM liner.

The problem is what to do! I need ideas, suggestions, comments and constructive criticism.

Planting zone 8a, North Texas

Photos show the left side as was and as is now after removing the stone. Btw, the really heavy looking stones are Featherrock light weight stone.

Problem area.

Scrap stone in place to prevent impending rain from flowing under the liner.

Alternate view.

Pond front with one flat stone still in place.

Image of stones (Featherrock light weight rock) used in-pond along left side.

Comments (5)

• jalal
    8 years ago

Is it possible to pull back the liner and build a shelf that the rocks could sit on. The rest of the liner could go up behind the Rock and have dirt against it. The rocks would be partly submerged in the water and you could plant right up to the edge.

Louis thanked jalal
  • Louis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Had I known what I was doing some 18 years ago when the pond was first built that is exactly what would have been done. Your suggestion and a slope concept are being considered. I will post an image of the entire pond so you can see what I mean by sloped. Our property is on a hillside so the pond has sides built to provide the adequate support needed for the somewhat radical slope. Yours is the true and best solution but is not feasible for the first half of the left side due to the bald cypress tree. It is feasible for the second half. Your input is really appreciated. Additional photos will follow along with images of the new configuration when done.

• Louis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a photo of the opposite bank where I partially used the sloped shore (in front of the big green pot and forward. The slope allowed easily lay down of stone at the waters edge.

• Louis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Much new landscaping to do all around the pond. Please comment with suggestions, criticisms, whatever. It all helps.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the picture you have above, the last one. is there any way you could make that "problem area" by the birch tree look like that? I like the piled rock look, it looks natural, and with all the other rocks aside and behind the tree, it will look natural.

Do you want a ground cover the cover your liner? You already have creeping jenny, but not enough. That will grow nice in the shade, you may have to water it til it grows in though.

I have a very small pond on a slope too, in fact it is at the bottom of a small hill, and we live on a hill. I had to build it up above soil level, and I also have the flat rocks that you want to get rid of. The ground under the birch tree in the picture looks level with the pond, mabey it is just the picture.

I planted daylilies, japanese water iris, dwarf ornamental variegated grass, elephant ears, and even cannas will work to hold soil where you want it. Personally, I think daylilies are wonderful for that, and easy to grow.

Thank you for sharing your pics. I'm sure it will look wonderful when it's done.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting