Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_in_nh

Brown spots are driving me crazy.

dan_in_nh
8 years ago

I'm at my wits end with these huge brown spots in my lawn. I've been very dedicated to my lawn. I've added tons of compost, always get my soil tested, have gone the organic route, etc. I've stuck my nose into the brown spots and it's definitely not grubs. It just seems to be sandy and nothing else stands out. The rest of the lawn looks fine, so it's not a water issue. If I just send a sample of the soil where it's happening, will that tell me anything? Help!!

Comments (14)

• dan_in_nh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Where is the picture that I posted? What happened to the old forums?

• dan_in_nh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Trying to upload a picture now. I hate this new format. The rest of the grass grows out of control. I mow twice a week, if not more. I checked for grubs are there are none. I go overboard with compost. I don't know what to do next. I'm ready to burn it down and start over in the fall.

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

I agree the old format had some advantages. It was pathetic by modern forum standards, but this one only seems like an evolution of the old bad ones.
    Is there any chance a car parked close enough to blow hot exhaust over it?
    Any chance a herd of horses peed right there?
    Chemical, herbicide, or fertilizer spill?
    Do you have any enemies in the neighborhood?
    Not a water issue? How often do you water and for how long?

• maplerbirch
    8 years ago

Perhaps too much nitrogen and a passing animal urinated on the grass and that is the result. I agree with dchall, in that it certainly looks like a burn.

• dan_in_nh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do have a dog that burns my lawn in the back yard, but this spot is 3ft across, and it's not the only spot, there are several all over my lawn, so there was nothing covering it, etc. If it's a burn of some sort, what's the remedy? Haven't started watering yet, but I will be shortly.

Thanks all.

• User
    8 years ago

It's difficult to determine what that was, but I'm going with fertilizer burn until we have further proof (my first impulse was fungal disease, but it's a bit early for that and on second blush it doesn't look like it offhand).

For now? Keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. If it does, report in with photos immediately.

• top3cret
    8 years ago

UFO?

• BoatDrinksq5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have had some serve 'burn' areas like this as well (not as bad). Has been when a black lawn chair has been there (heats up and radiates down along with stopping some water?) or also have seen it from reflection off of windows (slight concave nature of windows concentrates IR waves)....Have heard similar thoughts on older forum posts i believe.

ever feel the reflection off of windows in the morning or at night......crazy!!!

they had a problem in a city where it was melting car interiors!!!! can't remember the city...hmm

• ianna
    8 years ago

did anyone use an herbicide there to say tackle weeds? there could be residuals.

Is it possible for you to dig out the entire area, replace the soil and add new sod?

• dan_in_nh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've decided to throw in the towel. I've done everything by the book. I've listened to everyone who's had a suggestion going back 4 years on gardenweb. I've had compost delivered by the yard and have spread at least 7 yards over my 11K lawn. I've used Milorganite. I've overseeded every Sept. I take the 2nd week of Sept off from work every year to do this. I installed a sprinkler system.

It doesn't matter anymore because mid summer my bentgrass will come back and overtake my lawn. I've filled in the low spots with loam and compost. I have my soil tested every year. Local landscapers will only put in a new lawn, they don't troubleshoot.

If I want to kill everything and start over, what's the process? How much Roundup would it take to kill 11K of lawn? I need to get this down to the bare soil because of the low spots that need to be leveled.

Thanks,

Dan

• ianna
    8 years ago

Dan, I thought the issue was to rid of the brown spots. I didn't realize there was an issue re bentgrass. The only really radical way to change the grass on your lawn is to remove that grass and there's a machine available that can 'peel' off that grass or you can hire a lawnservice to do this job.

• dan_in_nh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The current issue is with the brown spots. The ongoing issue is the bentgrass. What's that machine that you speak of?