Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykaye2

Love the painted stairs that look like a beautiful carpet runner!

amykaye2
8 years ago
Please tell me how it is possible to paint this on my stairs.
Many thanks
Kaye
Painted Pattern on Stone Stairs · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Fine Art & Portraits by Laurel
    8 years ago

Hi Kaye, These stairs were a very ugly marble/sandstone mix, which is why we painted them. After cleaning them well with TSP, when they were dry, we applied a high quality primer. It was many years ago, I don't know what we used, but you can call manufacturers and ask what will adhere to the surface you're painting. Don't rely on advice at the hardware store; call the manufacturers. The decorative painting was done with acrylic wall paint, because in Israel, floor paint isn't available. You have floor paints in the US, and I'd use them. After the decorative work is done, seal with two coats of varnish. All these layers need time to dry, or your hard work will peel off. At least one day for the primer to dry, unless you're in a high humidity area, then give it more days. The acrylic dries in one day. Each coat of varnish needs a full day to dry. Give your family clean socks to use while this process is going on and try to walk on the stairs as little as possible, until everything is finished. Good luck, Laurel