Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_colburn

Best white to complement Revere Pewter and Chelsea Gray?

Rachel
8 years ago

Looking for the best, most perfect white for trim/ceilings in rooms painted Revere Pewter and Chelsea Gray by Benjamin Moore! I have heard White Dove is a good choice, as well as Simply White and Chantilly Lace. Does anyone have any actual experience with these color combos, and which do you like the best? Thanks!!

Comments (35)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    Rachel, are you looking for a true white or a softer transition?
  • Lindsay K
    8 years ago

I have Simply White trim throughout my house. The walls are mostly gray, but some light blues and blue/green as well. It looks very nice and crisp.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Waldron designs, I think that I am looking for something that will look really natural with the Revere Pewter but that will also look clean, fresh, and warm if that even exists together:) I have heard that White Dove is a great color to pair but wasn't sure if it would still look white with my window casings etc, or if it would have a dingy, gray tone that would not appear as white? i know for sure that I am not looking for a white with blue undertones or anything too stark. Thanks for any help!

• juudean
    8 years ago
    I used BM Frostline for all of my interior whites (kitchen and bath cabinets, trim, ceilings), coupled with my BM grays, blues, and greens. Nice contrast. Although the name would indicate otherwise, it is a warm white...not too stark. Check out my Stoney Creek idea book for actual pics. Good luck!
  • Lindsay K
    8 years ago

Here is my simply white against Balboa Mist, which is a BM light grey.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Simply White looks beautiful with the Balboa Mist! It doesn't look at all yellow in the pics, but looks a bit yellow on the sample card I have. Do you find it to look yellow at all in person? It looks to be a nice, rich creamy white when paired with the balboa Mist.

• Lindsay K
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No, I've never thought it to look yellow...I painted on samples of Dove White and I believe one other one, and this is the one I preferred in this house. I'd try a few and see which is best!

Rachel thanked Lindsay K
  • Lindsay K
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ok, so I took a couple more pics for you in different rooms with different lighting. I know not the same as in person though!

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for doing that for me!! I love your color choices-is that Balboa mist throughout where it looks like a soft neutral griege? That color is so pretty on your walls! I have been looking for a beautiful griege for some time and had settled on revere pewter, but that color you have looks really nice too!

• Lindsay K
    8 years ago

Yes, that's Balboa Mist too. It's all throughout the house. I looove it, we've had it for a few years and I don't think I'll get tired of it anytime soon.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It does look so beautiful! Would you say it is more of a gray, or a griege in person? I am looking for that elusive light gray that is completely neutral that will not turn pink, peach, green, blue etc, and so far Revere Pewter has been the closest, but I have not tried Balboa Mist yet-maybe I should be grabbing a sample just in case it looked even better than the RP which can lean just a smidge to the blue/cool side in our house.

• percivalk
    8 years ago
    My main floor is painted with Revere Pewter and all of my trim is BM cloud white.. I love it!!
  • Lindsay K
    8 years ago

I'd try a sample in your house first. In my house it looks different depending on the room and type of light. It can have a greenish tint in some pictures I've taken, but it doesn't look that way in person.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for the great information-this is my first go round on choosing colors for a house since it is our first one! I love Revere Pewter in the pics online, but it is always challenging in different settings I am finding. Our house gets tons of south facing light which is great, but tends to change colors ALOT!! Sounds like getting some samples would be a good idea to see everything in our specific lighting etc-I have not tried many of the suggestions mentioned here, so it is great to have some leads on some new great combos!

• Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, forgot to ask Angiet, Does the White Dove look gray in anyway compared to other whites in the room, i.e. window casings or outlets etc? For some reason my sample card looks a bit dingy when compared to other whites and some colors, but looks great against the Revere Pewter sample card, and not gray or dingy at all, so it seems to change depending on what it is paired with in our space although I have not seen it in person yet from a sample pot:)

• spitaki10
    8 years ago
    Hi Rachel, I don't feel like mine looks gray, the picture shows both my trim and shutters in white dove and the wall in revere pewter. I also have my kitchen cabinets in the white dove and even with a gray countertop it provides a nice soft contrast, no gray at all that I can tell. Hope this helps.
  • spitaki10
    8 years ago
    Another photo next to outlet
  • Rachel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love how your walls and trim look! You are right it does not look gray at all even next to the switches. Were your walls done in a matte finish, or did you use eggshell?

• spitaki10
    8 years ago
    Rachel, I went with a satin latex, we have kids and it's easy to clean, hope this helps!
    Rachel thanked spitaki10
  • roxannestill
    7 years ago

I have revere pewter walls, Chelsea gray island, and decorators white trim. I also have bathroom with revere pewter walls and white dove cabinets.

• lisantril
    7 years ago

Roxannestill would you paint your kitchen cabinets decorators white or white dove? I'm debating both whites in my kitchen with my revere pewter walls.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would definitely paint your cabinets White Dove as opposed to the Decorators White. White dove has a slight gray undertone (doesn't look gray at all next to Revere Pewter or many other colors) and is a favorite across the board with designers using Revere Pewter in combination. Decorators White is VERY white-stark really, so unless you are going for a higher contrast look, White Dove will look much softer and more in keeping with the tones of Revere Pewter. Hope that helps a bit, color choices are so hard!

• PRO
    SHANDRIKA'S REAL ESTATE, STAGING & INTERIOR DESIGN
    7 years ago

Swiss Coffee Kelly Moore there is no need to over think this.... Revere Pewter is a fabulous color....have fun❤️

• drdeb1234
    7 years ago
    Old post
  • joviboys
    7 years ago

I am looking at decorators white for cabinets with a Chelsea grey island, too! The white dove is what I thought I would use until I got a sample of it. It looks yellowish and dingy to me. Hmm

• Steph
    7 years ago

Old post. I would post a new discussion if you have a design dilemma. That said, I wouldn't use decorators white for cabinets. It's a very bright white with a blue undertone. It's better suited for the ceiling. White dove does look dingy to me as well. Check out Chantilly Lace, Oxford White, and Steam if you want to go white without creaminess. My favorite off-white is Swiss Coffee, but a lot like Simply White as well.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Whites really depend on what is going on around them. White Dove looks gorgeous with colors that share a grey/green undertone, but If you have conflicting colors in the room with different undertones, it will not look fresh, but rather kind of dirty. Chantilly lace is truly a neutral white with little to no undertones, and is excellent as a ceiling color with almost any wall color, however, it is not a soft white for cabinets and trim-rather a bright white that will look quite stark if you are using a medium to dark wall color. You could probably get away with it if you are using a light to slightly mid toned wall color, but again, it will look quite high contrast. That being said, it is a wonderfully clean white that does not have those sneaky undertones that creep up with a majority of the whites out there.

• joviboys
    7 years ago

I'm in analysis paralysis on white paint colors. My current white is very similar to white dove....I just wanted something fresher with the new kitchen remodel. My floors are white oak stained 1/2ebony/1/2classic grey.

• Rachel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Simply White has yellow undertones, White Dove has Gray, Chantilly Lace-very little if any. Chantilly Lace would for sure look fresh, but might be too stark depending on what wall color you have.

• Steph
    7 years ago
    Oxford white or steam (AF-15). They are both crisper than white dove, without being too stark.
  • Marta Sawon
    7 years ago

Hi Rachel, I have the same dilemma and I wounder what white did you pick?

• Juliet Sory
    7 years ago

I had the same dilemma. I just chose white dove cabinets and revere pewter walls. I will post pics when it is done!

• Gina Lanouette
    7 years ago

Juliet Sory.......dying to know how your kitchen came out! :) Part of my kitchen has been painted (island and walloven/pantry/desk wall has been painted BM Chelsea Gray) The other wall will be painted at the end of the month and I was planning on going with BM White Dove....but after reading all the comments I am so confused about the white looking dingy or yellow. My walls in the kitchen and open family room are BM Grant Beige which seems to have a slight green tone. Actually the dining room is BM Revere Pewter and the two colors look almost identical in my lighting. So afraid the White Dove will not be white enough yet I don't want to go too stark. My counters are Uba Tuba granite. Thoughts anyone........ thanks for the help. :)

• Juliet Sory
    7 years ago

I used Chelsea gray in my dining room with white dove trim and I love how it turned out (it definitely looks white against the Chelsea gray). I chose to glaze my cabinets in the kitchen so the white dove is definitely a creamier white. The biggest difference for you will be the lighting. I would get a sample and go paint it in the room. I have revere pewter in my current house so I thought I knew what I would be getting with that color in the new build. It looks like a totally different color.