Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgrutter

Not sure what I can plant together and if I have enough space

Heidi Grutter
8 years ago

Very very new to gardening and I bought a sweet basil plant, sweet mint, rosemary and zucchini. I'm realizing now that the containers I have are far too small for the zucchini and the mint is probably going to overtake anything if I have it in this planter box with anything else. I feel like these are pretty common herbs and plants and could use a little advice.

I'm thinking of returning the zucchini as I'm not sure I was ready to commit to a 5 gal container just for that plant. But the containers I have right now is this a gallon round and a 36" planter box.

I was thinking to plant the basil, rosemary, maybe switching the zucchini out for a thai basil, and then putting the mint in the round pot as I hear it's an aggressive plant and might take over the other herbs. Thoughts? I wanted to reach out here before putting anything in soil.

Comments (5)

• AJ (6A)
    8 years ago

I am also new to gardening this year, but I have seen many gardens and done some container gardening. I've also attended many lectures and done a lot of research. Soooo....my point is, I have an opinion, but it is based on what I have seen others do and what I have read.

As for mint, it is very fun to pick and eat, but I would never plant it. My parents had it and it was a pain. We just bought a house and it is growing in cracks in the side walk and around the foundation. That's not worth it to me. But, I think if you plant it by itself in its own container, it will be fine. I would definitely not plant it with other things you want to grow. The rest of the herbs will be fine together.

As for the zucchini, it will not work in any of those containers. The fruit will overtake them. You need something bigger. So I say return it if you're not ready to commit. Good luck!

Heidi Grutter thanked AJ (6A)
  • Heidi Grutter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for your input, that's what I was thinking as well so good to have a second opinion.

• maxjohnson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Once you have mint you can't get rid of it, so the best thing to do is plant them in isolated containers.

For the zucchini, you can grow it in a 5 gal bucket, which are cheap at your hardware store, it's better to buy an opaque colored ones where the sunlight don't show through. It's even better if you can get a bucket one that is foodgrade and BPA free, which I do see available at lowe's, or ask some local Chinese restaurant which tend to have 5gal Kikkoman soy sauce buckets. You will need some sort of trellis for the zucchini vines to climb on.

These bonnie plants tend to get liquid fertilizer so when you buy them they look very green, so they are used to getting water soluble synthetic nutrients. Once you transplant them, depend on your garden method, they 'may' have a week or two down time, so don't panic and they should get back to full health.

Also don't over water especially for zucchini and cucumber seedlings, they can easily be killed from root rot. Make sure you have holes in your containers for drainage, but not too
    many or it may drain too fast. If your soil mix have good moisture you do not need to water everyday. Also all the plants you list like a lot
    of sun so make sure they get plenty of lights.

You will want to prune your basil and rosemary early so they can grow
    bushy and have a strong base, cut the stem of these plants and it will divide into two. Prune
    mint as well when it get too long, you can cut half of it's length or close
    to soil level and they'll grow back in no time. If you don't prune it, once they flower they can lose some of their fragrance, but that usually take a while.

Heidi Grutter thanked maxjohnson
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I agree with the others about planting the mint by itself. Be sure to enjoy it; mint has lots of culinary uses.

I see that the basil consists of numerous seedlings crammed into one little market container. Are the others like that? It's not a good idea to plant them like that. Either divide or thin them prior to planting.

Take the zucchini back. Truthfully, I wouldn't grow any of those plants in a one gallon pot, at least not for very long. Be sure that the box has several drainage holes.

• purslanegarden
    8 years ago

Most of those herbs can do fine in the 36" container. The rosemary would do OK there in the first year but if you keep it going from year to year, it will outgrow it.

Based on your comments, I would return the zucchini plant.

The mint can be planted in its own pot or along with those others. If you pick at the leaves through the growing season, you can keep it in check.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions