Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_771284

Remodeling old 1950's farmhouse to eventually use as a guest house

User
8 years ago
This is the old kitchen and I need to keep it economical but I can move things around a bit. Any ideas or colors are welcome!!!

Comments (46)

• Lainie D'Eon
    8 years ago

That is an exciting project. Give room dimensions for better suggestions. is the space to the left of the sink where the refridgerator will be placed?

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thx Lainie! It is a beautiful property where we will eventually build our dream home. I'd like to make it cute and rent it out to cover some of the expenses. I will find out room dimensions!
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    8 years ago

I agree that it's an exciting project!! As it seems small, I would go with colors to make it cute as you say. How about a dark blue wall on one side? I would surely go with accent walls anyway.

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

It seems so narrow is there a chance of removing any walls. Creating an open space living area that includes the kitchen is a direction I would take.

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Ideally this layout. Gray blue cabinets. Light tan stone or soapstone. Two pedant lights as in photo to right. Ah.... perfect...budget?...
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Taking down all the walls in a space this size is adviseable .. but if not - look at this narrow galley layout - better yet when open it can transition to a banquette seat and eating place . .

Seamless Connections · More Info

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My budget for the whole house is about $35k. I know that isn't a lot but we just spent a lot on the farm it is on.
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Gorgeous! Wow! What style of your main house? It should probably be reflected slightly into the guest house.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We will be building the main house. Right now there is only this little farmhouse on the 50 acre farm. It's such beautiful land! It's in Southern Oregon
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    Wow! Yes! Will you be staying in the guest house while the maim home is being built?
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Gorgeous setting. Try the online Ikea kitchen planner if you want to make a quick floorplan.

It looks like the construction may be sturdy concrete blocks. New roof in the plans? New gutters are worth the money to direct water from heavy rains away from foundation.

If you upload more photos, try uploading large versions that enlarge when we click on them.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

$35k is plenty for a lovely kitchen - can you make a quick sketch of the cottage floor plan of the interior and windows . . we can do more with layout discussions then :-)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm redoing the whole house for $35k. I will have my contractor send me dimensions. This house is in Oregon and I live in Alaska.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

im in love with this idea. I say you keep it as original as possible. its a guest house it doesnt need some big open kitchen etc. the more simple, the better. and dont let the contractor throw away any old fixtures, etc. they can be reused or made decor.

• User
    8 years ago
    Jennifer, I think you can do this for $35K, but you'll have to make some hard choices! Is the structure sound? The foundation and roof? No use putting money in to decorating if it's going to fall apart soon. So I'd check that out first. Will you need to insulate? How's the heating/air conditioning, plumbing and electrical? I suggest you consider these issues first.

If you're going to use this as a guest house, and rental, I suggest you keep the kitchen simple, your contractor can help with cabinets and fixtures. You don't need the most complicated or largest stove or fridge. Same for the bath room. A simple shower, pedestal sink, a reclaimed cabinet, and toilet should do. If you have a level area, build a bamboo screen, and place a large salvaged footed tub behind it, with hot/cold water.

I'm thinking, rustic romance, lots of lace in the windows, quilts and white sheets for the bed. If I'm giving too many ideas, sorry, but this is the type of project we Houzzers dream of! Good luck, and post pictures!
  • Tonia Tussey
    8 years ago
    What an exciting project! Use the 35 for structure wiring and windows. See what's left. Oh the power of paint!!
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Structure is sound! Roof will be redone but is about $3k. I'm getting new windows and doors. The place hasn't been lived in for years. I'll have to check on electrical.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are some more pictures! Thank God I have a good imagination. It has lots of potential I think???
  • User
    8 years ago
    Termite inspection!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

oh awesome chimney for free standing wood fire place!!! looks like it just needs some love really. also looks like some walls have been adding. but the one dividing the kitchen might be structural. rac.. gave you some sound advice, and I agree. not to much needs to go into the project make it a simple farmhouse. thats what it is! roof windows and doors will give you so much life back right away.

• everdebz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If me I'd like at least a partial wall between kitchen and bed. You'll probably remove any drywall, and start over? Would you like new roof to extend over porch?

I stayed in someone's cabin with laundry outside on back wall, under corrugated metal roof - an idea to save indoor space if climate allows.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Already did inspection for termites and structure. No termites. Just heard from contractor...getting new roof and electrical. He is also looking into if the wall that divides living room from kitchen is supporting wall. Thinking I could take it out to open space. The walls are brick. Would you just paint them or drywall over??
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Everdebz there are two bedrooms that are separate from living and kitchen and have doors on them
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

New photos enlarge, thanks. Is there any insulation in outer walls? If not, consider options for adding insulation appropriate for Oregon climate, then decide about paint.

When remodelling from afar, it helps to have good photos of each room to save time and ease communication with the contractor. You can ask the contractor to take photos of all four walls, the floor, and the ceiling in each room, along with extra photos of "interesting" areas such as bathroom fixtures and under kitchen sink. On outside, you can have as many photos as necessary to cover all walls, porch, roof and foundation ground area.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How do I add photos that I can enlarge????
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Your new photos do enlarge successfully, so whatever you did worked fine.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Maybe I just need to attach them to comment thread??
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Those enlarged for me. You mention concrete and whether to drywall over -- though you paint it any color bright or not -- does it seem a cold feeling, and is your area 'cold'? You could add nice industrial elements like metal tube shelves in copper/reclaimed wood, or not. To me, a tie-in with the blocks.... or will the feel be cottage?

Toilet, etc. an expense- If decided good, there's an incinerating toilet [I think it produces ashes].

Kitchen: greenhouse bumpout window for herbs; solatube or skylight?

• everdebz
    8 years ago

If you open the ceiling - do you know if there are wood beams?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i would paint the wall in the living space (the brick), and drywall the bedroom space..

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

open shelves, reclaimed wood in the kitchen for the uppers. would be cool since its a guest house. not much you will have to "hide" . put back in the stand up stove for the living room be so nice in the winter.
    put in a pony wall to divide the kitchen from living, and have a bar counter for eating at.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

im betting that wall isn't structural, because of the placement of the wood stove, it would have sat out into the room. and that wall would have stuck out to be in the way.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

the painted brick white will be perfect for rustic charm!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i wouldnt open the ceiling, cold winters and heat loss... just a thought.

• nikawareham
    8 years ago

I would leave stove placement where it is. Fridge to far right of sink and do 12" upper cabinets on the opposite wall across from stove as base cabinets since they aren't as deep and will give you much needed storage, plus counter space. Go with butcher block counters(affordable),blue base cabinets and white top. Look into a mini split system for heat if there isn't a furnace since the house appears small. They sell beautiful laminate and vinyl plank flooring now that is DIY friendly and budget friendly. I recommend vinyl since its a farm so you can mop the floors. Craigslist/restore, if they exist there, are great places to find cabinets that will just need painted.

• nikawareham
    8 years ago

Farmhouse38.Com is a really cute blog and her house is adorable on a budget.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

If cozy cottage look, you could add ceiling block/ attachment for a ceiling fan, even if for future installation... or a rustic pendant? that gets one light off of floor.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Bedrooms are11ftx9ft living room 11x17 kitchen 7x17 bath 7x6 , and that wall that separates kitchen and living room can come out total sq ft approx 725
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Now that I know the wall that separates kitchen from living room can come down I'm thinking I need to make that an island with cabinets and a bar to put stools at??? Comments???
  • Lainie D'Eon
    8 years ago

Great that the wall can be removed. Island with stools sounds nice. Will there still be room for a table & chairs (or do you need only the island seating)? 11 ft. is quite narrow for the living room but once we see the floor plan I'm sure a solution can be made with furniture placement to make it work.

Will most likely need to replace the chimney!!

When being used as a guest house will it only be for family & friends, for seasonal or year round ?

Can't wait to see the floor plan

• everdebz
    8 years ago

As to whether footage is available for breakfast bar, I wonder if this helps: a counter stool that lowers to dining height... does that mean store at counter height and lower for extra dining, or vice versa....this up to 29" high/ about bar height. Well it's versatile. A two-sided fireplace of some kind?

Brantley Stool · More Info
    Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · More Info

Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · More Info

• Alexandra
    6 years ago

Any updates?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We had to tear it down and now we are building a replica
  • Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

Oh no!!! Was there a major problem??

• KK Johnson
    6 years ago
    :( awe I just saw your comment about having to tear it down...well the replica will sure will be very nice