Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

good year/bad year for our wisterias...

Last year we had no flowers on the wisteria 'trees' because the brutal 2013/2013 winter killed all the flowerbuds! So I was hoping for a good display this spring. I forgot, though, that in late August 2014 we rather severely cut back the Chinese one to control its size. I knew we were cutting off a lot of the flowering wood and that there wasn't time for it to regrow before fall - but I had forgotten about that this spring until it finally dawned on me that it was the reason why there was so few flowerbuds on it this spring! We've also had a very cold spring which seems to have delayed the bloom time - but brought forward the leaf development. The leaves were well advanced on the Chinese one as the few flowers it did develop started to open! The Japanese wisteria, however, is doing a nice bloom this year. It's younger than the Chinese one. It was planted in 2007 and bloomed for the first time in 2012. The Chinese one is 6 years older. Because the leaves develop along with the flowers on the Japanese one, I prune off a lot of the foliage to display the flowers better.

The two wisterias this morning:

The Chinese one yesterday - you can see its size and structure a bit better in this picture. I grow a Henryi clematis into it for additional flowers - that is what you can see growing into it at the base:

The Japanese wisteria yesterday before pruning off some of the foliage:

After pruning the foliage this morning:

How are your wisteria doing this spring? pictures....?

Comments (4)

• fleur_zone4
    8 years ago

My one year old wisteria vine did not do well this spring; the buds were looking great but they all froze and died on me. I cut my wisteria back to about 18 inches, so no flower for me this year!

• blancaharo
    8 years ago

Do you find that your Chinese wisteria is invasive to your garden? I live in the same zone and was thinking of buying the Chinese Wisteria but after reading about it, was wondering if I should go with the Kentucky Blue Moon.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't find it invasive - because I don't let it be so! First and foremost, I grow it as a 'tree'. That helps in many ways I think - very easy to control its size as it is easier to prune than it would be if you dad to climb around on a tall pergola!; growing it as a tree in a bed - or on a lawn - makes it easier to see and remove root suckers as they arise (rip the sucker off rather than cutting them off when whenever possible as ripping them off the roots can remove the budwood that gives rise to more sucker at the same site on the root....); keeping the size of the plant small seems to help limit the size of the root system the plant wants to grow (in the first 5-7 years I was getting 5-6 root suckers a year; after that point I've been getting maybe one every other year! The rate of suckering on the younger Japanese wisteria has started to slow now too.) The second major thing I do to deal with the potential for invasiveness is to remove every seed pod that develops! Once the leaves drop in the fall, they are easy to see and remove. Keeping the plant small in a tree form also makes it easier to access and remove the pods. My basic approach to growing these can be summed up as prune, prune, prune! You see pruning instructions in various places on the internet. They are usually very picky/detailed re 'cut back to specific places at specific times of year'. Too fussy for me! I cut all the whippy new growth back into the structure/size I want to limit it to. I cut it back weekly (sometimes more than once!) throughout the summer. That seems to promote flowering wood development, often resulting in flowers appearing throughout the summer at a pruned site, abut two weeks after a whippy growth has been pruned back. Every couple of years I do an additional hard prune to reshape and shrink the size a bit more. That, like last year's hard prune, sometimes cuts off enough of the established flowering wood to result in a disappointing spring bloom the following year. I grow Henryi clematis into the Chinese one to provide some additional flowers through the summer. It's a clematis that doesn't need a hard prune so there's little risk of damaging the wisteria flowerbuds that trying to give a hard prune to a group 3 type clematis in spring.would involve!

• blancaharo
    8 years ago

Thanks for that info!