Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blessed123456

How to break up my open floor plan

Patrice
11 years ago
I just purchased a home about 3 weeks ago, and i didn't take into consideration how would decorate a home with an "Open floor plan" basically I need your opinion on how to break it up. I was thinking about maybe adding french doors to seperate the living room and kitchen/dining area? Because when you walk in the front door you can basically see straight through to the kitchen/dining area. The blue tape on the floor is an idea of possibly adding an island or a peninsula? Please Help :-) (I have attached a few photos... )

Comments (21)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    If you put your island or peninsula where the tape is, you'll have a very crowded dining space. Could it work if installed across from the dishwasher snugged to the opposite wall? Looks like that will give you more floor space in the dining area.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Why would you want to break up the open plan. Everybody wants to open them up instead. Floating furniture and using area rugs to define the separate areas. You might consider a rounded end to the peninsula. This could be set at bar height which will separate the kitchen visually.
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for commenting. I did think about adding a counter top for bar stools across that wall under the window. Does it have to be the same type of counter type? Also, what are thoughts on the seperating the rooms with french doors?
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    I actually took down a wall to create an open concept area where living, dining and kitchen show. Open concept is very popular these days. I used rugs and groupings of furniture to define areas. I'll attach a few photos to show you.
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    Old photos, sorry. Just moved in. Try these
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    To Interiors inter., thanks for your comment. That's what I've been hearing from friends that everyone likes the open floor plans now a days., The wall to the right has a 1/2 bath, so if I am entertaining company and someone has to use the bathroom, they "may" feel uncomfortable because there is really no privacy between the kitchen and the living room...
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Leslie! looks great. I will try your idea. what do you think about adding the pennisula or the island in the kitchen and move that long ceiling light?
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Leslie, did you take the island out of your kitchen or is it still there?
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    My contractor did suggest the island on the diagonal. I can work in the kitchen and see the TV. Having the island also gives me space for entertaining, as I can lay out a large spread of food. I purchased a dining table from Crate & Barrel that folds down to very small, next will hold 2, and fully extended will hold 4 -6. I don't know if space is an issue, but there's a lot of creative solutions to get the most out of your space. My last feedback would be that a wall is bad, an island good. I've had many compliments on the diagonal placement. It gives you a good work area, and people cluster around islands. Good luck!
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    I didn't see your feedback, so sorry about sounding so final. I LOVE to chat about my renovation. Contractor took out wall and added island. Mine is 60" x 48" and with quartz on top and custom cabinets may have cost 3-4k. There's a lot of ways you could bring the cost way down if you like the idea.

Do you like the looks of your kitchen? A few shots from all corners of your room will help me see it better. And there's lots of amateur designers here who love to give feedback. Talk soon.
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    Last photos. They let you see the whole layout. Forgive the counters ... I just took them. And Pomeranian isn't stuffed, he just rules the house.
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    I agree with decoenthusiate the dining area will become very small & probably only large enough for a breakfast table. Maybe a banquette will work as it would be snugged up against the wall.
    Wayland Renovation · More Info

Huntington Beach · More Info
  • leslieburr57
    11 years ago
    I love the Hunnington Beach idea. I thought about doing it here, as I have a small space too. But also wanted to use my (real) Arnie Jacobson chairs. May change my mind someday.

With pics from all sides it will be easier to see where an island can be placed, if at all.

Like your ideas.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Hi Patrice!

The point of any floor plan is to consider the spacing and geometry of a place. Open or closed floor plans shouldn't be based on what people love, and what they're doing right now.

If there's something intrinsic to your personality, or a home in your past that you're trying to allude to by creating a definition between spaces, or something deep you aren't even conscious of -- I think those are grounds to explore and see if you want to run with it!

I Love the idea of French Doors!! I think you should definitely do some research on ways non-open spaces are successful and see if that fits the vision for your home. If after all you like the open spaces, you will be so much more comfortable in your decision.

And I'm excited to see you explore your intuition.
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your ideas. Here's a pic of the kitchen. So let me know if adding the island would be a bad idea?
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The dining room and kitchen are soo close together., thinking to just make the dining room area a part of the kitchen?
  • Patrice
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    couple more angles..
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    My biggest concern would be the spacing! But I could still see it working. With guests, family, and commotion, would that be enough room to accomplish your goals?

Also, people underestimate the value rules. Yes, if 10 people were in that space you'd be cramped, but if you made it clear "When someone is working the stove, NO ONE SETS FOOT IN THE KITCHEN," I'm sure people would think twice before breaking it.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    This cloud module made me think of your project. These aren't exactly walls, and when constructed they don't have to extend all the way like a true wall, but they serve as a visual separation, much like the way @Interiors International, Inc. said the bar would work!

Contemporary Spaces design by New York Media And Blogs John Hill
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago