Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
readerteacherpal

Wood cabinets + white Carrera marble counters + white subway tile

readerteacherpal
8 years ago

So I have kind of an unusual combination of finishes in my kitchen: medium stained wood cabinets, honed white Carrera marble (2 inch mitered edge, eased), huge white Kohler farmhouse sink, and white subway tile backsplash with a framed portion of Tabarka custom tile behind the cooktop (in white/gray). Dark hardwood floors. I would appreciate advice about what color to paint the walls. I'm thinking White, so as not to add to the competition already happening between the warm wood cabinets and the cool white/gray counters and backsplash. Any thoughts on which white paint? Or maybe another color altogether? The walls were BM Bleeker Beige, and that didn't look right at all. Too brown. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments (20)

• W
    8 years ago
    Try BM Pure White. The name is misleading because it's slightly gray, but it will look great with the marble and backsplash.
  • french toast
    7 years ago

I have this same dilemma now. If you care to share, what color did you choose?

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I went with BM Swiss Coffee and it was a mistake. Yellow undertones. I should have taken the advice of the commenter W Brown and gone with Pure White.

• french toast
    7 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will try hard to avoid yellow undertones. White is so hard! Found this article that might be of interest to you: http://www.mariakillam.com/4bestwhites/

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wish I would've known about her before choosing BM Swiss Coffee. Thanks for the article. How are you liking your marble counters??

• kjoy1
    7 years ago
    Do you mind sharing a picture of your kitchen...it sounds AMAZING:)
  • readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sure, here are some pics. Sorry about the junk on the counters, we are a real family not a showroom!

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tabarka backsplash- splurge but so worth it. It ties together the wood cabinets and the white counters.

From far away, the marble looks amazing. Up close, it has already etched quite a bit. :-(

Note: the pendants over the island were existing, and I am looking to change them.

This picture is a close up of the white carrera marble, white subway tile, walnut cabinets, and BM Swiss Coffee wall paint. If I could do it all over, I would choose a less-yellowy white, such as a white with undertones of grey.

• french toast
    7 years ago

Ooh looks great, thanks for sharing! I see why youd want a 'cooler' white. Maybe you can repaint someday soon. It still looks pretty good though. I am getting my counters installed soon, so do not have a pic of the entire thing yet. Did you have polished or honed marble?

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I am planning to repaint for sure but my whole house needs repainting so I'm trying to find "the right white" since it's going everywhere.

My marble is Honed. They say that's better for etching, but mine are pretty badly etched already even though I use the large wood cutting board on the island for all food prep.

Are your cabs wood or white? I wanted white but my husband would not agree to getting our cabinets painted. They are only a few years old and came with the house. I am at peace with the kitchen now but my very first choice would have been white cabinets and greige quartz countertops... and maybe some type of encaustic backsplash tile with bold(ish) pattern. With the wood cabinets staying, I could not find a white quartz that looked good. They all looked like artificial marble or extremely contemporary which would not fit in with my house overall.

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

So PRETTY! Thanks for sharing. I love the contrast between the wood cabinets and white marble. The Tabarka backsplash is beautiful. Good job:)

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you for the pictures. It is very hard to find pics of wood cabinets and marble counters here on Houzz...white cabinets are definitely the popular choice! I wouldn't have thought about grey-blue for the walls but it sure looks great in this kitchen!

• french toast
    7 years ago

Yes I know what you mean! We are staining our cabinets as well so I'm having to do a lot of mental imaging since so few pictures of this are available

• sherrys
    7 years ago

Do you not like the swiss coffee against the marble? or the white subway tile. I am getting ready paint a newly installed unfinished kitchen. I was thinking Swiss Coffee on the cabinets and walls and Calcutta oro marble...maybe I need to rethink? However I was planning on marble backsplash as well, so curious if it looks yellow compared to counters or backsplash or both.

• PRO
    John McLean, Architect
    7 years ago

From your comment above, it appears that you may have a

"political" issue painting the cabinets but I suspect doing so will have the greatest single impact on improving the appearance of the kitchen and allow the various whites and white-greys (marble) to work a little better together. It will also brighten up the corner of the kitchen that (in your photo) seems a bit dark and uninteresting, to my eye.

Generally, it is preferable to have one "star" and several "bit players" in the finish materials of a kitchen or any other room , and that "star" in a kitchen is often the most expensive and least variable material in the room, the stone used for countertops. Everything else should work with that stone, and allow its subtle color variations to be more easily appreciated.

Design restraint is usually rewarding when all is said and done. Keep in mind that there are many other objects that will be seen in the kitchen (utensils, dishes, small appliances, jars, etc.) that will give it additional color in addition to that of its permanent finishes.

Good luck.

• readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sherrys: I think BM Swiss Coffee is too yellow for Calacatta or Carrerra marble.

A friend of mine painted her cabinets Dove White and it looks great with her Calacatta marble counters/backsplash. Dove White has a grey undertone, Swiss Coffee has a yellow undertone.

• jaye01
    6 years ago
    Dove white is a good call. I love how my Revere Pewter works with my marble, wood cabinets, and other white and wood trims. Such a perfect neutral!
  • readerteacherpal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jaye01 -- can I see a picture of your kitchen? I'm thinking of repainting my walls with Revere Pewter.

• jaye01
    6 years ago
    You will not regret it! It'll take me a bit to get you a photo. But will do.
    readerteacherpal thanked jaye01
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH