Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Duvet cover ties - what am I missing?

Bunny
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

What's the point of those ties in the inside corners of duvet covers if there's no reciprocal thing to attach on the duvet/comforter itself? Is my "down alternative" duvet too low-end to have them? Should I be tying the bare corners?

I just changed the sheets and mattress cover, rotated my leviathan mattress by myself, the the single worst part was getting the damn duvet inside its cover. I once used big safety pins and that was helpful. However, what about those ties?

Comments (16)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Why can't I edit my original post?

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

Linelle - I don't know about other brands but over the years I've purchased at least 10 alternative down comforters from The Company Store in all of their price ranges and they've all had the loops in the corners. I know their duvet covers also have the ties in the corners.

I sew additional ties to my duvet covers and matching loops to my duvets. It annoys me when the comforter shifts around inside the cover and you have to re-arrange it. The extra ties and loops help to keep the duvet in the proper place.

It would be easy to add them to yours.

Maire

Bunny thanked maire_cate
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maire, but that's too easy! :) I should do that.

• User
    8 years ago

I just make a little point out of the corner of the comforter, and tie around that.

Bunny thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Linelle, some of my best down comforters don't have loops and some TJ Maxx down alternative duvets I got on clearance for the lake do. And I find the same discrepancy with duvet covers. Some of my nicer ones don't have ties or a flap while some less costly ones do.

I lay the comforter on the bed, put the inside-out cover over it with the open end of the cover at the foot of the bed. Then I somehow affix the corners of both the comforter & cover together at the 2 closed ends at the top. When there aren't loops or ties on both I've used a bit of satin ribbon or even those thin, clear hair ties to join them. Then I reach up into the open end of the cover and grab one corner and flip it inside out to midway. Then go to the other corner & do the same. By that point it's easy to complete the flip and capture the duvet in the cover.

That sounds more complicated than it is.. I leave the ribbon or ties in the corners of the duvet till I remove the cover for washing. I have quilts or other bed coverings over the comforters, so the duvet corners don't have to be perfectly square.

Hope this helps.

Flipping the mattress is a bear of a job. Be careful of your back!!

Bunny thanked User
  • rococogurl
    8 years ago

I've never seen any loops inside or on the corners of the duvets. I've seen velcro.

But loops make sense. Might make it easier for some to get the duvet into the cover and keep it in place.

But my covers and duvets seem to be deficient as well. You are not alone linelle!

Bunny thanked rococogurl
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You guys are the best!!!

I considered tying the bare corners of the duvet but I thought it might defeat their squareness. Like anyone's gonna notice, right?

I have a method for getting the ends in the corners, holding on for dear life, and then doing the Shake-a-Pudding dance to get everything in place. Meanwhile, my cat Zephyr is pouncing on everything. He is so helpful in bed matters. What's funny to me is that over the next week or so, everything eventually moves into place.

I didn't flip the mattress, it got rotated. The hardest part is rocking it up onto the footboard. It would be a piece of cake without the footboard.

• javiwa
    8 years ago

I also attach my own. Actually, I make my own duvet covers (once I find the perfect top and bottom sheets!), and sew in the loops on the insides of those, too - easy peasy!

PS The 'burrito' method of inserting a comforter is making the rounds on the internet.

Bunny thanked javiwa
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whoa, that burrito method is crazy! Must try.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Video chickie needs to come to my house and try that with my winter weight box-quilted down duvet and matelassé cover with flanges. It would so never happen.

Bunny thanked rococogurl
  • bpath
    8 years ago

I just started using the "burrito method" and it works...easier than wrestling the comforter, but I still need to follow the video while I'm learning!

My comforters don't shift around even without being secured...what am I doing wrong lol?

Bunny thanked bpath
  • User
    8 years ago

I tried the burrito method without success. It was on a queen size bed with a heavy winter comforter. May give it another shot on the twin beds at the lake & the lighter down alternatives. Anything to make the job easier is something I should learn. Some weeks I find myself making up & changing 9 beds.

Bunny thanked User
  • sushipup1
    8 years ago

Also, in the burrito video note that the bed top is the same size as a comforter. In real life, there's 12" of drop on either side. Will that make a difference?

Bunny thanked sushipup1
  • Lisa
    8 years ago

I use clips made especially for this purpose. They attach the duvet to the comforter at the corners (or wherever you want to place them) on the inside. They are cheap and sold at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Bunny thanked Lisa
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sushipup, you are right! Didn't think about that while watching two different videos. I would think it should work the same, but it could be more unwieldy with those unsupported ends flopping around.

lcskaisgir, will have to look for those clips at BB&B.

I discovered that inside duvet covers is where fabric softener sheets go in their retirement.