Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srvonderfecht

Colors needed for ranch

Need design ideas for siding. Shaker or plank? Colors? Roof will be replaced with asphalt shingles. Needs to be brightened up. Space between windows in front currently has shakes, but it looks awkward to me.

Comments (28)

• Stacey Ovanes
    8 years ago

I think if you're removing the shaker roof then the shingles no longer make sense so planks may be the way to go. Or, maybe you could even match the stone?

• tvanbens
    8 years ago

I think pulling out some of the gray color in your brick for the paint color and doing a trim in a soft white could lighten things up for you. Having gray in your shingles could be interesting too and will keep the house from having too much of a boring brown/beige look.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Great house with interesting rock trim. I suggest you bring home several samples of asphalt shingles in different colors. Coordinate the color with the stone. Then choose siding that very nearly matches one of the stones. Match fascia board and gutter paint to roof shingles. Trim for doors can be off white or tan if you want it to be unobtrusive. A gold or mustard door might suit your fancy- pick the color from the few yellow mustard rocks. A contrasting color such as blue or sage green is another idea.

The Sherwin Williams paint visualizer is useful and quick. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

A foamcore board could be useful in testing colors. Prop it up over the garage where the shingles are, or put in different places during the day.

• jaymee
    8 years ago

I like the modern vibe of the architecture, but too much is going on visually. Replacing the shakes on roof is great. The shakes above garage need to go. Replace with either smooth (cedar) planks or stucco (my choice). This will offset all the busy stone and wood trim. Right now it is all fighting each other. Paint the garage door a color that matches the dominant color in the stone. It clashes with it now. A smooth roof and the elimination of the shakes above the garage with lighten up and modernize the whole facade. Also, I suggest removing the shrubs and replacing with more delicate and organic feeling foliage. Depending on your climate, plant Palm-like small trees, or other vegetation that is lighter and airier than what is there now. This will give a yin-yang balance to the heavier stone and wood facade. You have a lovely structure, just need to bring it all up to date.

• lswd_box
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Shaker will be more difficult to maintain; w/plank, you could have a lighter color w/darker trim or vise versa, however...

My personal preference would be the horizontal log (log cabin style) siding which would look great with all that stone, and vertical board and bat style siding for the gables.

• pinkpanther59
    8 years ago

I would get rid of the shaker style between the windows. But in some outdoor inlet lighting above those windows, and replace the bushes with some classic box wood or tall fanciful grass. Replace the dirt or soil under those plants with some river rock, and maybe place a water fountain (spouting from a tall narrow boulder, or planter) near that area. Really light it up.

Place some outdoor inlet lighting above the area near the door way so at night it is well lit up.

Lighten the trim color up to something a bit richer. I don't know if white would be best, but something lighter than what you got, but maybe a color with a reddish hue to it. I nicer richer brown. I'm not too sure on this. Also, replace the garage door with perhaps a more wooden looking one.

Add some new plants, sharpen the edges of the yard. You will be surprised by what little you could do can make a huge difference and impact on the lighting of home.

• StacyH
    8 years ago
    Definitely replace shaker style boards with vert or horiz planks made of the indestructible Hardy boards! They come in a few colors & replicate the wood look exactly (or you can paint them). Since they are a composite material - they are basically NO maintenance! Yay!
    As far as colors go -- personally I'd prefer to pick up a neutral color in your rock that would definitely give the house more of an understated yet very current look!
  • lswd_box
    8 years ago

If you're replacing the roof, consider one of the newer longer lasting metal roofs -- what colors are available may influence what trim you want.

• winnerinlife
    8 years ago

Front of house - between the two windows looks like a window was originally there and it was just boarded over. Either replace it with a beautiful picture window or a neutral vinyl siding that matches the lighter grey in the stone with trim that matches the darker (almost blackish) rocks. Same on the garage. Lighter grey vinyl siding above door, light grey painted garage door with blackish trim. Also bushes look like the old outdated box type hedge. A nice raised bed running the length of the house with some flowering bushes would give a new depth and softness to the entire front yard.

• teinalh
    8 years ago

This home has both stone and shaker and still has a brightened appearance... lovely. I would stick with the shaker myself. There are more pictures of this renovation at the link below:

Fairway Ranch Renovation exterior · More Info

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/fairway-ranch-renovation-exterior-traditional-exterior-kansas-city-phvw-vp~815799]

• Lynn G
    8 years ago

Nice thing with those cedar shakes is they are pretty maintenance free. With that said, they seem to be rather dark and not helping you brighten the place up. I'm wondering if there is a process that can be used to make them look grey/salty like at the beach. Perhaps even a bit of a white-wash.

If not I'm thinking perhaps paint the shaker section (since there isn't that much of it) and paint the front door and garage door in something bright and colorful - like paint the doors bright yellow and the shakes orange; or the doors turquoise and the shakes lime green - or even white.

Then that shaker section between the windows - would it be possible to remove it completely and have it all windows? Ones that open though. Gotta hunch that would lighten the look significantly...

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Inspiration photos. Install a 3 section window, similar to the window above the garage in the 3rd photo, except the middle section is wider.

I would pick colours in your stonework; the lightest for trim, and a midrange tone or darkest colour for the garage door. You could go neutral sand colour or warm greys if you prefer. The warm white trims do make these house colours pop, but I don't care for such a light colour on the garage door.

High def mixed gray shingle or bronze metal roof. You have a lot of roof showing, that colour will be important. Get samples.

Side Exterior · More Info

Front Exterior Of Home · More Info

Mineola Makeover (After) · More Info

The Valmead Park - Plan #1153 · More Info

Fairway Ranch Renovation exterior · More Info

Walnut Creek Residence · More Info

Chimney Corners · More Info

1 - Street Appeal, Updated Ranch · More Info

• diyer59
    8 years ago

Always take into consideration any stone and brick on the house, match color and siding to that.

• Laura Hughes
    8 years ago

I really think you should embrace what makes this home special - the stone and the cool, hip 60s / 70s vibe. You don't need to go icky or tacky. The home has a strong presence.... Low slung, strong horizontal lines, more masculine than feminine. Hopefully you use an architectural asphalt shingle with some visual texture. If you go too visually flat - regardless of the color, it will lack visual substance and look out of balance to the visually heavy walls. I would lean toward choosing a darker roof color too. One with deep, warm charcoal tones.

The shake clad area between the two smaller windows implies there is a large window and that gives visual balance and heft. Window glazing will always be dark so if you can't increase the window size substantially to fill the center area, then you should keep it to all dark and retain the visual balance. If not, I think you run the risk of the two windows looking smaller than they are and like 2 blank "eyes". Again, I would go with a warm charcoal paint on either smooth, wide 12 inch horizontal plank siding (maybe a color like Behr 'Mined Coal' or a bit browner dark espresso color). You could also use James Hardie panel shakes, or they have a stucco panel, just be consistent and use that same siding on the garage gable - and all in the darker color tone. I would also do all the trim (fascia and around windows) that same charcoal color ....except for the soffits and doors.

Soffits are an area I think we don't often think about - do them dark and when you are inside looking out it's a bit like having your hand shading your eyes or wearing a dark visor. But if you do them lighter you actually reflect more light inside. Warmer colors will bounce a more golden light inside. For me, I would choose a soft mid-tone color from the stone cladding to paint the soffits.

For the front door, this is where you should want to draw attention as well as direct and welcome guests into your home. I would look to those 70s colors. Spice colors like curry, lemongrass, cayenne, mustard or a chartreuse green. Not the hard bright retro VW Beetle colors but a softer sophisticated version. Again, Behr is showcasing some fantastic colors right now! I personally would go with a green/yellow Thai curry color and visually carry it into the plantings.

I would do a big curved border between the concrete and the lawn and use larger leafed foliage plants. I wouldn't want them taller than 2 or 3 feet though. Think tropical shapes and bold visual texture that pulls and repeats some of the golden or green or coppery color you used on the front door. Add low voltage lighting in the plantings for drama. Depending on your climate of course but look at pictures of tree ferns, ostrich ferns, New Zealand flax, creeping junipers, aloes and agaves. They have bold shapes and colors.

Finally, the garage door.... You can really go one of two ways: 1) color it up bright like the front door or a deeper tone of the same color or 2) not draw attention to it and paint it dark like the trim or that mid-tone soffit color. Personally I would paint it dark and let the front door and landscaping be the pizzazz and not take away from the beautiful, anchoring stone cladding.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

• brickln
    8 years ago

The shakes are cool- I would consider a metal roof if the current one must go. Sweet house.

• ellenhatch
    8 years ago
    Replace the shingles between the windows with a picture window! I would be surprised if it wasn't framed that way underneath already. You might consider putting in two triangular windows above the garage door also trimmed with horizontal plank siding that blends with the trim color? New dual or triple glazed windows are energy efficient.
  • sensiblegal
    8 years ago

What libradesigneye said.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

I'd put in the picture window. Can we see a photo from inside of the two existing windows?

• pagosapamie
    8 years ago

The first question I have is did the shakes between the windows replace a plate glass window? Most homes of that style had a large window with 2 smaller ones. See if you can check it out - a large fixed window there would be much better. Also, think about stucco instead of shakes or planks. The stone is busy and pretty and a smooth stucco in a creamy tan would be really soothing. I love the old wood shakes on the roof so when you are looking for a replacement asphalt shingle, stay darker than the stones and look for one that is very dense and multilayered like Architect 70 by Byrd. There are a lot of brands now that are doing the heavy multidimensional shingle. The darker colors gives weight to the roof and keeps the stone from looking so heavy so either go dark or opt to go with a metal roof and go very light (a very Texas hill country look). Good luck!

• Deb Christner
    8 years ago

How about Rusty Metal, it would look good with your rocks and an asphalt roof.

• sweetkeight
    8 years ago

I might try some paint in a different color on a small area of the shakes to see if they're worth keeping but just in a different color. If after trying various colors out you'll either find the shakes work or they don't, then you know what you need to do. Cedar or redwood planking would look outstanding, and I would try out some sample materials before making a final selection. That goes for stain, paint, etc colors for any material you decide to use.

I think another thing that is really lacking is landscping. You could redefine your house and the space surrounding it by incorporating native plants specimens. Consult a garden center or design expert for advice. It will really pay off and you will have the house everyone wishes they lived in.

• Nicole Dyess
    8 years ago
    We have several similar houses in my neighborhood. The ones I like the most use colors from the stonework for the roof and siding. For example, a house with gray, granite stonework might have a dark gray roof that matches the deepest colors in the stone, while vertical board-and-batten siding pulls mid-tone highlights from the stone, such as blue-gray or greige. In order words, everything compliments -- but does not compete with -- the stonework.

On the space between the front windows:did that used to be a picture window? Either way, putting one in might be an alternate, albeit more expensive, option since you find the siding awkward. It would also increase light in the living room -- if you can stand to lose the wall space.
  • Mary Wiggenhorn
    8 years ago

I would go with horizontal Hardy planks between the windows and over the garage doors. Play with paint but I suspect a lighter color pulled from the stone will be lovely. Same thing with the garage doors - in my opinion, they don't need to contrast but should blend in with the stone. If the trim around the windows is wood, I would definitely lighten that up as well. You may want to use several tones of the same color - windows, door frame, door, garage doors, etc. - to give the house some depth and accent the lovely stone.

• Courtney Gladfelty
    8 years ago

I love all of Bette P's inspirational photos! Especially the grey and white. Maybe you can do a white wash like a stain or something on the stone to lighten it up a little.

• alwaysdesigning
    8 years ago

Before going to the trouble and expense of removing and replacing the shakes, I would just try painting them a color the complements your stonework. Test some colors first. The garage door would look great if it was a little darker or lighter than the new shakes color so it doesn't look matchy matchy, but not too different. I like the shakes for the texture they give.

Good luck with the project.

• PRO
    MsAbbi.com
    8 years ago

I like the KISS method (Keep It Simple Silly) for this project. I love the beige and grey stone! Horizontal and maintenance free slats on the siding will enhance width of the home. The stone appears to be more beige than grey. Compliment the stone with grey slats, match garage door, and window trim. Add a grey or beige shingle roof that will work with the stone and siding . Keep the roof lighter than darker if you are able. This will help to minimize heat by color. A heritage red door (really red) front door will distract the eye from slats above garage and between front windows and make the stone pop. If you are daring, change the roof to a subtle red that will not compete with the bright red door.