Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalsc2001

Help make our living room more 'cozy'!

kalsc2001
8 years ago

Hi there,

We currently have Repose Gray on our walls which I love, but have moved from a house that was more tans & browns for our color scheme. I am trying to figure out ways to pull things together and make it more cohesive and warm. I know our coffee table is too small and we need window treatments, so please offer suggestions. I'm trying to incorporate blue from the rug but also teal green if that works...

I appreciate any help with this, as I am so indecisive and don't have a plan!

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (33)

• LaineRose
    8 years ago
    You could pull the sofas and chair onto the rug more to make the space more intimate, sofas across from one another perhaps. A glass rectangular coffee table instead of the wood. White or cream linen curtains with the natural light to keep it airy. And perhaps woven blinds to incorporate the warm tones into the room? Bring out a color from the rug in your pillows.
  • emilyam819
    8 years ago

Can the chair and ottoman move to the empty corner of the rug? It looks weird lined up next to the brown couch.

• susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is the beige sofa modular? Can you pull sections out? What is across from the long beige sofa in the room. TV. Can we get a photo

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

Lovely new space. I love the flooring and windows. If you want to keep the brown leather furniture you are probably going to have to repaint the walls. I just don't think that brown can work with true grey. I'd consider a cream color to pull everything together.

• Avery
    8 years ago

I agree with Emily. Moving the chair and ottoman so they are placed just to the left of the fireplace, angled inward to "round out" the grouping will be a big step toward making it feel cozier and more conversation-friendly.

I would also suggest pulling in the larger sofa so that at least the front legs are sitting on the rug. Then shift the leather sofa/love seat to the right accordingly.

Also adjust the side table to the left of the larger sofa so that it's placed closer to the sofa arm. And, just for now while you're shopping for another one, move the current coffee table so it's centered to the larger sofa.

PS any way we can see the wall that's directly across from the windows?

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the chair doesn't work where I moved it since that's the entry hallway and it blocks the fireplace.

I do like the couches positioned how they are pulled forward a bit.

I included a pic of the wall opposite the windows.

Here are updated pics-please keep commenting!!

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also I don't want to block the door to the left when facing the fireplace since that is a workable door to our screened porch.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Question is the large sofa one piece or does it come in modular pieces pushed together?

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's modular. A love seat, a single, and the opposite love seat.

• Avery
    8 years ago

Hmmm, from my view (via the internet, of course) it looks so much better. It doesn't appear to be blocking anything....primarily because there looks to be enough walkway space around the chair (?).

How much space is there between the furthest point of the chair and the fireplace/wall? If there's at least 36"+, there should be enough walkway space (although the more the better).

Another option could be to shift the chair only over to the left so that it's sitting across from and centered to the larger sofa. Then I'm not sure what to do with the ottoman....except to perhaps place it next to the coffee table (at the side closer to the fireplace, hope that makes sense).

Or just place the ottoman in front of the chair like it would typically be....but then I'm afraid it would push the chair away too much from the seating group and potentially block the traffic pattern going to the kitchen area (?).

Btw, thanks so much for being such a good sport and trying these configurations out. IMO it's already made a big difference!

• Avery
    8 years ago

Ok, just read about the larger sofa being modular.

So perhaps take the middle piece out to make the sofa a 4 vs. 5 cushion/seater?

Would it then be the same or similar length as the leather sofa?

If so, then you may have some other (potentially better) options....

Like perhaps the 2 sofas facing each other...?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Have attached a floor plan. I have taken the single modular out of long sofa , not sure what dimensions of the room did guessament. Put table against wall opposite windows. I can move pieces around according to what you like. Not sure if single sofa piece will fit by FP and even if you want it there. Starting point, no sense breaking your back moving furniture.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Think about a coffee table/ottoman in pattern maybe blue to compliment your rug.

I wouldn't bring any more leather into the room

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Deluxe in Alexandria · More Info

Take two sections of your sectional and put them where the couch is now, making an L shape sectional. The chair may be able to go in the corner pulled out on an angle from the patio door. Place the sofa parallel to the blank wall, opposite the sectional.

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am obsessed with that coffee table!! Where is that from Susan? Thank you all so so much for your ideas- we have a party to set up for but I will be on this tomorrow!

• susan2494
    8 years ago
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Overstock.com ITEM# 15510462

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Is there teal green in the rug?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Maybe something like this on wall opposite windows

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Consider Roman shades for your windows and door. They come in tons of colors. Pick a blue that goes with your rug. Or go with the new "greige" that will blend with grey walls with tan tone. Add some colorful pillows on the sofa to tie them together with a variety of patterns and solids

• PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    8 years ago

I would not add many colors, but maybe pick one that you like (I would use orange but that is very subjective), and use it in different places like adding curtains, maybe a pendant light in a similar color, a vase with flowers in the center of the table... Hope it helps.

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What do y'all think about this layout? Others input was that the fireplace is the focal point so the chair should be facing it and not turned away from it. It's not on the rug though and I'm trying to get used to it cutting off the walkway, but I think that is more my issue. It does make it more its 'own room' which is nice. Keep up the feedback I love it! Thank you, thank you!

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Choose some grommet top drapes from Ikea to install just below the ceiling down to the floor. They can also go over the doors as they can be opened & closed easily. Ikeas are good as they

Blue & Beige Suzani Custom Drapery Single Panel · More Info

Bright Aqua Faux Linen Custom Grommet Drapery Single Panel · More Info

sell by the pair not by the panel as most store do. Your ceilings are so high you may not have to hang them that high either. Go with the color from your beautiful rug only somewhat darker. Also add some glass items around the room the same or similar color

Gale Coral Pillow · More Info

Aegean Lustre Linen Pillow · More Info

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks sandradclark-what do you think about the layout?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

My take on the layout, taken with a grain of salt, kal, is that the furniture is all bunched up together in one spot and you have this big empty space to look at. Looks pretty much the same as the 1st photos you posted :>) Haven't made much progress have we :>)

• kalsc2001
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Susan- my question is would be is that the empty space is the entrance way from our front door and the furniture is all facing the TV/fireplace...so even with knowing this, would you still angle things differently? I do want to try the couches facing each other (even though 1 is a 3 seater and the other is a 4 seater). I don't mind honest feedback!

• Avery
    8 years ago

I agree with Susan.

I actually liked the layout the best with the chair to the left of the fireplace. I may have missed your reply to my question, but were you able to measure the potential "walkway" between the back of the chair and fireplace when the chair was placed there previously?

And yes, the fireplace is your focal point....but IMO all seating does not have to be oriented toward the fireplace.

I've seen several professionally designed rooms with 1 or 2 chairs oriented toward the main seating group vs. toward the fireplace. In fact, I think this type of configuration helps to round out a grouping and encourage conversation when being "utilized".

• ObE3
    8 years ago
    I always like to balance colors, maybe the sectional facing the fireplace, brown sofa to the left, brown chair and ottoman angled toward fireplace by the windows with curtains/shades to balance the brown and lighter color sofa. Darker accents pillows, throws on light sofa, lighter accents on dark sofa.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

kalsc, please take another look at the floor plan I sent yesterday. You might try it that way or take out the middle seat as in floor plan and try it as suggested by ObE3. The only problem is that when you are entering the room the first thing you see is the back of a huge sofa. With the sofas across from each other you get a pleasant view of the whole room.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Pardon, me I meant from the kitchen and dining area.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

Hi - I didn't have time to read through all the comments, but when I look at your space 1st impression is that the tv should not be over the fireplace. Can you put it on the blank wall opposite the sofa? You could put the chair on the carpet facing more towards the tv. Or you might not need it. Seems to make more sense of the space, especially if you use it to watch tv.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Add end tables and put right next to sofa arm.add lamps. With drum style shades. TJMax a good place.