Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9754417

Please help with kitchen design for existing house.

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello. We have put aside 60K. We plan to be in this house for the next 10-15 years. We didn't build this house, so please don't judge. We don't plan to move walls or change the area where the current kitchen is located. I believe we can add plumbing. Don't let the photoshopped kitchen pictures fool you -- cabinets are a bunch of junk. The kitchen would be great for a single cook, which my household is not.

I have a meeting with a GC tomorrow and just panicked because I can't find responses from when I posted a request for kitchen planning help a while ago. (the GW to Houzz move maybe?) Anyway, the first picture below is a rough drawing of the interior space. The others are of some conceptual ideas. We will not move walls, but can move the kitchen entry (currently 44 inches wide) way a few feet to the right or left of its current position.

We are a 3 50 y/o's cook kitchen and occasionally have our 2 adult children in the kitchen as well. We entertain casually a few times a month for 8-12. We like to have fun - wine, beer, fresh made pasta; home made pizzas; can and freeze a lot from our garden; roast our own coffee; make smoked meats, cheese, and veggies; love to experiment. Prep space is important, so we don't think we want any raised area on the island, but would entertain a butcher block incorporated near the prep sink. We like hanging around the island and also sit at the kitchen table. We have wine storage outside the kitchen. The area under the back yard window is occupied by a large dining room type console and on top is coffee and espresso makers and inside a lot of kitchen whatnots (food processor, vitamix, waffle maker, immersion blender, serving plates ...) We also have a lot of storage in the laundry room. The pantry serves our food storage needs 100%. We have a deep freeze in the basement - not convenient, but it serves its purpose.

Currently, the only sink is in an island, the frig and stacked ovens are on the covered porch wall, the cooktop is on the back hall wall, a beverage frig is in the 48 inch space along with some drawers. Wants -- large clean up and large prep sink in defined areas. 48 inch range, but 36 might be okay. Beverage frig. I am envisioning a stages 45 in the island and a large deep single bowl sink in the clean up sink. I am looking for layout advice and cabinetry configuration ideas. I am thinking a bluestar range, but am not opposed to a cooktop and a wall oven. Thank you very much in advance.

Prior owner photos

Comments (7)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I would want the fridge on the same run as the range, so that the island can be used for landing space, with the MW next to the fridge. That would mean moving the entry to
    the left, as you face it? Not sure you'll have room for three seats at the island as it's drawn, but with the entry moved, you'll have room for a longer island. Nice plan overall.

On the graph you show a garage/smart oven in the corner, but not on the elevation drawings. If you leave that corner empty, it would make a nice secondary prep area.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • michoumonster
    8 years ago

if you entertain large groups, i would try to add more seating on the island. also, maybe switch the stages sink with the cleanup sink to give you more island counter space? the island could better serve as a buffet table that way.

also, not sure if your island aisle is 48", but if you are a multi-cook household, make sure it is nice and wide. it does help with avoiding collisions.

User thanked michoumonster
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Since the Stages sinks have integrated cutting boards and prep accessories, I think it will be functional in the island, especially if you can make the island longer.

It occurred to me that if you can move the entry as far to the right as possible, you could have a more direct route from back door to kitchen, and separate the clean-up and prep/cooking zones, while still having a secondary prep zone on the end of the island, convenient to water at the clean-up sink. This plan would also eliminate the blind corner, and leave room for the second oven. If you decide on the smart oven, it and a MW (or is it a combo?) could be located just inside the entry. (See alternate plan.)

The drawback would be that the walk to the pantry is a little farther from the primary prep zone. Can you cut back or remove the jog at the end of the hallway wall? That would give you a more space for the range wall.

Alternately, you could have a shared trash pull-out on the corner by the range, and have a MW drawer across from the fridge. If you don't opt for the second oven beside the entry, there will be room for an extra prep zone beside the clean-up sink.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! The smart oven is a little breville thing. If we go to one oven, I would keep that on the counter for small baking needs, which is what we need the majority of the time.

I considered moving the entry to near the back closet, but then realized folks would be walking through the cooking or clean up area a lot to get back and forth --path of least resistance theory. I could pretty easily make the closet the pantry and the current panty a closet/storage area. I worry about the flow .....also, the door where it is brings light from the friends door and we can see who is at that door from the great room currently. I do agree the kitchen would be better with the entrance lower though...sigh

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Mama Goose. Folks came a few days ago and we decided to keep the kitchen entry as is and put a frig in that space. A full depth frig would be fine there, so will probably go that route. Putting the entrance lower would put the DR access painful and we use it often. Nudging the current entrance 12 inches isn't worth the work required. So - the rough red and blue sketch is my starting point. Now, I am hoping to get some "where to put drawers and cabinets - and what goes where advice. Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

You're welcome. Were you considering a corner unit or blind corner with drawers on each leg? I'd like to see the island extended a little, for fridge landing space, but I think your storage plans all look good.