Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phelix_arcand

Unknown Vine Seedling.

Phelix Arcand
8 years ago

Hello -

Could you please ID this specimen. I collected a few seeds (all vine species, but mixed them together). Therefore I am not sure as to what is growing now. I seeded all of them to increase my chances of germination, both my curse and my fortune for now I do not know what is there b/c a few of the species I did not know the nomenclature of. The plant in question is the large leaf. Notice that it has hairs and spikes forming on latest leaf. I live in SoCal\Z11 so that may play a factor in ID.

. Thank you!

Comments (25)

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any ideas as to what this is? I am very curious! :D

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

not great pix.. as the leaves face away ...

but nasturtium comes to mind ...

kenm

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Not Nasturtium.

Nothing I recognise, but as Ken said, the pictures are hard to interpret.

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you and I know. I apologise, it is very vague. I will post once more developed. The next leaf emerging appears to show more definition, but that may be a few days out. It would have been something slightly more rare, but I am not sure what. Most of my seeds come from botanical gardens.

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If this is any reference all seeds were from either Mildred Mathias Botanical Gardens, Huntington Library or The Getty Center.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I'm wondering if it is not some form of Aristolochia. There is at least one native to California and it seems like native plant seeds would be common at local botanical gardens.

• matthias_lang
    8 years ago

Some kind of Abutilon?

Why are you thinking it is a vine? Does it have tendrils?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Not the right shaped leaf for abutilon - they have maples shaped leaves, hence the common name of flowering maple. And the OP indicated vine seeds were all that were planted, so a pretty safe bet it is some sort of vining plant :-)

• matthias_lang
    8 years ago

A parenthetic note since I'm not strongly promoting that the photo shows an abutilon-- The abutilon I'm most familiar with has generally heart shaped leaves, but are blunter on the tip when seedlings.
    velvetleaf abutilon

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree, it would appear to have a resemblance to Aristolochia. I do have A. littorals seeds, but those were only planted in one corner and they are just now sprouting, plus they generally grow more slowly I have found. This plant was very quick in growth with a very thick stem. They have diminutive thorns (most likely for climbing versus defense, although they may get larger). They seem to have more hair than standard Aristolochia.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Certainly would be helpful to see the plant a bit more developed. And do you know exactly what type of vine seeds you planted?....before they were mixed up :-) That might help to narrow things down.

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am usually much more organized with my plantings, but toward the end I was frustrated that a rare Passiflora did not germinate so I threw in a smorgasbord of seeds in a bag that was entirely of vining plants from various gardens (as this pot already had two Passiflora varieties). Confirmed: in pot A. litoralis, Passiflora antioquiensis, P. membranacea, P. bogotensis (which did not germinate).

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have not been able to find any that look like these leaves. What mystery. Excited to see what it becomes. Any chance that somebody on here would have more Passiflora bogotensis seeds that I could have/trade for since mine did not germinate?

• garystpaul
    8 years ago

It reminds me of lablab purpureus, Hyancinth bean vine, aka dolichos lablab

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Funny that you should mention that as I did have L. purpureus in my past garden and in a pot that I gave away. You are right, but the spikes and the hairs made me think otherwise. I do not remember planting L. purpureus in this pot though. Perhaps another Lablab variety?

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A more detailed look at the spines growing on the leaf.

• garystpaul
    8 years ago

I see no spines on my lablab purpureus leaves, which also exhibit a characteristic purple color in the veins, unlike your photo. Keep looking, I guess.

Gary

• carol23_gw
    8 years ago

Some Solanum species have spines on the leaf reverse.

• Phelix Arcand
    Original Author
    8 years ago

True. I'll keep that in mind as it matures. I have Solanum quitoense and Solanum pyracanthon, both are growing quite well and look nothing like this though. This is a truly intriguing mystery! :D

• Zek Anderra
    8 years ago

Another photo of the plant. New set of more mature leaves...

• eaga
    8 years ago

Not a plant I know, but the trifoliate leaves resemble Coral Tree, Erythrina lysistemon. It's supposed to have quite beautiful seeds - vivid red.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Certainly we seem to be in the Fabaceae.

• Zek Anderra
    8 years ago

Exactly. Everything points toward the Coral Tree (the bark, the leaf structure...), after all I live in LA. I just do not recall spikes on the leaves last time that I saw a seedling. Is that normal? If Erythrina lysistemon, have you heard of creating a bonsai out of it?

• Zek Anderra
    8 years ago

I mean it has to be a Coral Tree, but with the spikes, what cultivar I wonder?Once the base began swelling, I knew that it was something different, but I do not want to completely rule out a vine. With the leaf structure being almost identical, I believe that all is narrowed down now.