Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

Help with Hoya ID please

Kim
8 years ago

I found this Hoya at Lowes today, EA brand of course. I am pretty sure it is some type of carnosa, crimson princess maybe? I am not sure, anyone know? No flowers but it has a couple of peduncles! Also, any tips for maximizing variegation? I plan to grow it hanging in my living room, about 4 feet from a North window and 5 from a West window and see how it likes the spot. Also, for repotting... It is so tangled up its planter that repotting will be a nightmare. I don't plan to until next spring when I repot my Bella,should this be ok?

sorry for the sideways picture!

Comments (8)

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I brought that same plant in that same kind of pot but it was from wal*mart and it only cost $5.88. The tag labeled it as being "variegated carnosa".

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You got a better deal than me, but I was all too happy to bring this one home. I think the princess has a different variegation pattern looking at the leaf. Thanks for the input, probably just a run of the mill variegated carnosa. But it looks great in my living room!

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can move it closer to the window, I just have a shortage of nice East and South windows. Lots of Western ones. It just happened to be were a hook was already located. Thank you for the info! I am happy to have a name for it. As for soil, my family has kept Hoya bella growing on cheap potting soil for decades. I know now it isn't ideal, but I am much more used to keeping an eye on inferior soil than the good stuff. Come spring though, growstones for everyone. Thanks for the pointers with the pot too, can I just unclip it, and let the vines hang down? I prefer that look, though I know the plant will do what it wants in its own time.

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Yeah, you can let the vines hang down, sure. You can unwind them from stuff you don't want them wrapped around without doing damage. Some of us are constantly doing it. I'm confident they are most efficient with their growth the less you disorient their growing tips and leaves, etc. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I used to have mosquito netting curtains behind my plant shelves and the Hoyas were constantly poking their little grow tips through those tiny holes and then sprouting leaves on the other side before I could stop them.

Actually, I swear bella is happier in that stuff lol. I used to keep mine in AV soil and I swear I had the easiest time growing it then. I often think about moving it back. It's because I'm an underwaterer and bella is pretty thirsty.

But aside from that, I 100% agree with you that it is preferable to keep your plants in a uniform medium, that you have gotten to know well. The biggest Hoya problem I've ever caused myself was when I decided to put some Hoyas in one mix and other Hoyas in a different mix and a third group of Hoyas in a different type of pot. Maybe they were all in their ideal setups, but their schedules varied too dramatically and well, I just couldn't keep track of it all. Whatever minor advantage they would have experienced from their strategic setup was wrecked my the limitations of their human.

Neat that your family has been growing bella for decades. That's an unusual one to start with!

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We always called it the "Grandma Plant", it wasn't until a few years back I did some research and learned what it really was. I swear that thing is indestructible, but am focusing now on if thriving now that I know better. This is my first carnosa, so often ever one's first Hoya but I guess if you count my recent violet barn/cutting binge it would be my 12th. Time to stop buying hoyas for a minute! Thanks again for the advice!!!

• gingerspeach
    8 years ago

I would like to know if I can dissolve potassium pills in water and put a bit in my hoya. Just once.

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Ha - we did the same thing. Except it was a "oma plant." :)

Sponsored