Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_part_shade

Best Place to Buy Avocados: Clausen in Vista

For anyone lurking who's wondering where to buy great avocado trees not found at the big box places, check out Clausen: http://clausennursery.com/. I've been buying from Clausen for a few years now and wanted to give them a shout out. Easily the best prices on fruit trees. They are one of those "wholesale open to the public" deals -- talk to Ray, he'll hook you up with 15 gallon trees of any of the main kinds of avocados, including Sir Prize and Lamb Hass. They don't carry the heirloom avos like Sharwil, but with prices like $60 for a 15 gallon, it's hard to beat (normally, a 15 would go for $150+). I probably have 20 trees from them -- citrus, deciduous, berries, everything.

http://clausennursery.com/

Comments (12)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

I like Atkins in Fallbrook better. It's closer to me and they do carry the heirloom avos. $25.00 for a 5 gallon.

• PKG
    8 years ago

Bought my Tarocco Orange as ,shown on this forum, from Ray in late May. He was the only guy that I could find that had one ready to sell. Great service and price. He even helped me load it in the truck. Says he has people come all the way from Sacramento to buy Citrus from him.

8 years ago

Jay, I think you did recommend it to me. It's thriving in ground close to my big seedling avocado. I went back to Atkins and got a Jan Boyce. It's in a huge container, and I plan to top work that seedling tree with Jan Boyce so we have two good trees.

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice! Sadly, I lost my Jan Boyce to root rot. Now that I'm on the Agri-Fos program, I'm planning on getting another. And a Reed. Fireduck says the Sharwils are excellent tasting, mine hasn't fruited yet. I've heard mixed things about Jan Boyce, in that it tastes great but some years isn't any better than hass. I'd be curious to know if more people have had jan boyce compared to reed or sharwil.

• mr_z1
    8 years ago

I recently got 1 sharwil and 1 reed from Atkins and root rot took a hold of both. I am not sure if I gave them root rot by using a water meter (that may be infested? who knows) from other trees or if I got a root rot because Atkin's stock is bad.

Anyways, that's the end of my journey using regular rootstock from avos. I met a friend who can get me Dusa rootstock (great root rot resistance + production) and a few new rootstocks not available to the public. It'll be much more expensive but at least I have peace of mind knowing that my Avocado tree can't be taken down so fast.

8 years ago

Interesting. Root rot is from wet feet. Be careful you put your new Avocados in WELL DRAINED soil. They love water, but hate sitting in it. Both my trees from Atkins are thriving. But our soil is decomposed granite, so basically coarse sand, and we live on a hillside (similar to the Fallbrook hills) and water drains fast.

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I put my avocados from atkins in incredibly fast draining soil, like 5-1-1 mix. They definitely need a lot of water. I think the stress of repotting combined with the root rot fungus already in the soil caused the rot to flair up. I lost 2 out of 3 from Atkins and another 2 from Durlings to root rot. My sharwil from atkins is a champ, not sure why it's the best out of everything I have. And two others didn't get the rot. I checked all other symptoms and the roots were the cause.

Anyway, agri-fos works. If I was growing in native soil (in an area with other avos) I might consider Dusa etc. But in typical situations, I think argi-fos is enough now. I just wish I had started using it right from the beginning as a preventative measure. Nurseries should strap tiny bottles of Agri-fos to each tree.

• mr_z1
    8 years ago

Yeah that's the thing, the soil was free draining and was potted in basically sand but still had root rot. LIke I said, I don't know if I somehow transferred it to the Avos or I got 1 bad Avo from Atkins and transferred it that way. I don't think both were infested. Yeah, with decomposed granite, it's pretty much hard to kill anything as water drips right off.

However, if you get root rot, you'll be sure no matter how free flowing it is, it'll start to chew up your roots. Agri-fos doesn't eradicate root rot just makes the roots less susceptible w/ stronger defenses. If your soil is contaminated or was contaminated, Agri-fos will help your Avos recover but remember when you stop using it 2 or 3 years, you'll be back in the same position as you were before Agri-fos. Phytophthora cinnamomi can be dormant for 7 years, survives at different oxygenated soil levels, ranges of temperatures and can actually move in water (with a tail!).

Rather than deal with that again and waste more money, I'm just getting a commercial rootstock plus I'll make sure I'm giving it it agri-fos once twice a year for good measure. Let me know if you guys want any variety on a certain rootstock as I'll be getting my shipment late July. It'll be expensive but worth it (at least for me). I was thinking maybe I should start selling avocados w/ resistant rootstock in orange county if there was enough demand but I don't think there is.

• PRO
    Paradise Nursery
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
  • Gavin Raders for Planting Justice
    4 years ago

Mr_Z1

Can you help me find Dusa rootstock?? Thank you!

• vinnnya
    4 years ago

Looking for an avacado tree with Dusa rootstock