Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristyco

Grey sectional, grey walls, grey rug...too much grey..help!!

Kristy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I just bought a new sectional and need some great ideas for accent pieces to bring this room to life. It is feeling a little drab at the moment. I am most interested in 2 new chairs and what to do with the back wall! I want to choose a style of chair to help lighten up the room a bit. Any ideas are very welcome! Other areas of consideration are window treatments, fireplace update, side tables, lamps, other accent pieces! Thank you!

Comments (407)

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Oh that is a haha!

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Hi Kristy,

Hope the break has been restful :)

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It has been, Tracey! It is probably time to move forward though. I think we needed to live with the space to figure out what else we needed. The problem we are facing now is that I think two chairs would look better in a design sense on the far wall but my husband misses a separate chair to put his feet up while watching TV or reading a book.

• gramma907
    8 years ago

WOW I would love your sofa. I would get more red accents into the room, Curtains are so easy to change. Red Pillows too. And maybe the hassock too..

• soygenio
    8 years ago
    I'm new to this, and love all the suggestions. I just had an idea for art that may be bring a warmth and a personal touch and conversation piece -- look thru your photos and see if there's a favorite scenic photograph with beautiful color and have it blown up; maybe there's a picture of your kids playing on the beach- you can even have it made with texture - just like a painting (see Minted) for turning pics into art work
  • Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love that idea soygenio and have definitely considered something a little more personal. Love the idea of minted! I will check that out!

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Back to looking at chairs again. Kind of like this one from west elm.

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A couple of side table ideas

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

this room is mostly grey also but far from dull http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/hard-candy.html

• pdk920
    8 years ago

S&A Decor, yes, that lovely room is interesting and alive because of the strong contrasts between light and dark, hard and soft, matte and shiny. The wide variety of tone and texture keeps the room from looking gray, gray, gray....

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both! I know I just need to get some accents to liven it up a bit for me. And still trying to decide on new chairs. Do you have color suggestions? I think earlier in discussion people were recommending chair(s) with legs. I am also deciding on 1 vs 2 chairs. If one I will probably have it angled towards TV in far corner with ottoman. And then may need something else for the wall. Not sure what yet.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

The sweep chairs look so cool :) are you considering the swivel?

Button Tufted Upholstered Ottoman, French Yellow · More Info

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have considered the swivel but not sure if we would need it. I just really wish it had an matching ottoman to put your feet up.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

In a way I guess it gives you a bit more choice to find an ottoman you love in the right size and shape.......what look do you like with the sweep chair?

Found this one at West Elm

Might look good with both the chairs and sofa

Interesting way to add colour

Kristy thanked TraceyE
  • Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Linda-not offended at all. Love having the input. I have your same thoughts exactly on many of these things. It's good to hear from someone else to push me along. Most of the toys can definitely go to the basement. Putting new trim on windows and new baseboards are definitely on my to-do list for upgrades for the house.

I am considering the Everett chair from west elm in a charcoal for the room. I would like to go to west elm to "test it out" first so hoping I can take hubby this afternoon.

What has held me back is hubby wanting more of a recliner/lounge chair and ottoman and me wanting 2 chairs to balance out the room. A chair pair with ottomans might work too. I will tape out today.

The chair that was in the room is now gone.

Also love your idea of a picture collage at back of room. When I was at room and board yesterday I took a picture of something similar as an idea for that wall. The sofa in picture is exact material of mine.

1. I really value your input so thank you.
  • Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Went to west elm...with husband. No Everett chair which makes us question ordering it since we would want a custom fabric and high return and shipping fees. We also went to room and board and he likes this recliner...

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is a recliner. It does come as a chair with an ottoman also. It is called the Harper from room and board.

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And there is my dilemma ;) I think we need 2 chairs which I think we could do with this chair...but 2 recliners???? Ugh.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

I love your latest chair :)

What would a recliner and a chair with ottoman look like?

My thinking is that if the recliner was upright..... would the chair and recliner match? as the recliner will only be reclined at home in a family environment.

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, the recliner and chair look almost identetical.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Would you consider one of each for your space?

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Possibly... Do you think that is better than 2 recliners?

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Linda- as far as option 1 and 2 for room.... We do have a living/dining room in the front of our house. This room is more of a great room kitchen/family. We do spend most of our time in this room unless we need some quiet then we go to the living room which does not have toys, etc. It is time to move the easel as it doesn't get used much anymore. We continually move toys downstairs and they always get brought back up so we do need some kind of storage solution for a small amount of toys but not much. So I guess, I do want a comfortable place for our family to hang out, that is functional and looks nice. Haha.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

I was thinking that one of each might work, the ottoman could be a colour splash and be multi use, either with the chair or tucked against the sofa end of sectional to make a temporary chaise (does that make sense) I wasn't sure there would be enough room to have two recliners reclining :)

whats your feeling on space for two recliners?

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think 2 recliners would fit. I don't think we need two chairs that recline but I'm sure our out of town family would be happy on movie night. ;) Here are a few recent inspiration pics.

The first has the two everett chairs from west elm side by side. I LOVE that table too. This space feels so relaxing but fun to me. Very clean but functional.

This picture below shows a couch in my color with a fun ottoman. Love this look also.

This is an option that I was thinking if we had a recliner in the corner...could we use another completely different chair on that side of the room?

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Great inspiration pics :)

love the table in pic 1, and I like the idea of a recliner, and two matched chairs flanking the fireplace like in pic 3- they would look great together

• TraceyE
    8 years ago
  • Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do like it :)

• KD
    8 years ago

That's gorgeous. I wish I had a good place in my house for it. :)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

• PRO
    All-In-One Decor Hanging Tool by Hang-O-Matic
    8 years ago

You can hang a color frame on the wall using the Hang-O-Matic that Houzz sells. Its an all in one picture hanging tool that pokes holes in your walls leveled every time so you know where the nails go.

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

You have started with a beautiful room with all the right basics and that shade of grey is an excellent foil for lots of exciting, colorful things to come. You can easily ring the changes. You have had loads of wonderful advice. It is like starting with a beautiful dress and seeing it being transformed with lovely tasteful jewellery. I haven't read the whole string. Have you posted images of the finished product yet? Love to see them.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Hi Kirsty- hope all is going well

Kristy thanked TraceyE
  • PRO
    Blue Stone Photography
    8 years ago

Here's a few more options for artwork on the back wall.

Breakthrough · More Info

Jubilation · More Info

Reflection · More Info

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

Grey is the perfect foil for almost any color. If you have not already bought a painting to go on that wall, because it is going to be so prominent and you will be living with it for a long time, do make sure that you absolutely LOVE it before you commit.

Take two - at the most three colors, from the painting and use them for lamps, throw cushions, a stunning ornament or fresh flowers. Not a lot, just a few few accent pieces.

• User
    8 years ago
    Hi Kristy can you kindly tell me where you got the grey area rug in your living room! Great space!
  • PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 years ago

Some of our wall murals might inspire you.

Inspirational Wall Murals · More Info

Inspirational Wall Murals · More Info

• . .
    8 years ago

I would suggest painting the room white to clean it up. Replace the curtains with something more lively, playful.

West Elm

• Kristy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Franca1966- Rug is from pottery barn.

And thank you for all the recent advice. I have not been on here for awhile and the room has been at a standstill. I needed some new inspiration!

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

Hi Kristy, Love to give you some more ideas. What stage have you reached? Have you introduced some color or new pieces of furniture, pictures, window treatment etc.? Won't you post some new pics for us please? Best!

• Antonia Leon
    8 years ago
    I need help with some cushion color in my living room and rug , the curtains do you think they look okay, or a different color?
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

Hi Antonia, We would all love to help you if you would like to post a separate query of your own. This posting belongs to Kristy! We cannot see your curtains n the image you have posted above. Would you mind posting another image of them please. Is the area on the right back the dining room? It has what looks like a small picture on that wall. It needs either a larger one or a group of pictures. It would also be good if we could see a rough floor plan of the furniture placement in the room with the entry points, windows etc. The wall on the left, facing us is an important one. A large attractive picture or painting or a big mirror would help provide depth and color, movement etc. What is behind the sectional on the left? Is that a walk way? The chaise part of the sectional seems to be encroaching onto that area on the right. Is it possible to push the sectional over to the left so that it is resting comfortably on that far wall. The rug should be more centered and balanced. Is it partly under the sectional? The rug looks as though it has a reddish pattern so the red cushions are OK but you need more of them. The paintings should have just a dash of red but bring in other colors too. A larger square coffee would look more balanced and be more comfortable for everyone.

• PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    8 years ago

You have some large walls and the only accent color I see is a bit of teal. I think some original artwork would add distinction to this lovely room. A few suggestions below, and more large pieces here:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

60" x 48"

SOLD!!! --Original Abstract Painting 48 x 60 · More Info

48" x 48"

Art - Original Abstract Paintings SOLD! · More Info

48" x 30"
    Art - Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 30 · More Info

• Linda Day
    7 years ago

Where did you get the your charcoal gray rug?

• Renee Paulson
    7 years ago
    New drapes could be your inspiration. They could have a colour. Buy them longer. Raise the rod closer to the ceiling, drapes to the floor. This could help you choose cushions & throw for sectional. A little life in the room with plants or flowers.
  • Kristy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Linda Day-Sorry so late. The grey rug is from pottery barn.

• Courtney Doehler
    7 years ago
    Purple Pillows
  • jessie_smith36
    6 years ago

The room is very beautiful if you don't mind leaving a neutral pallet a little I think deep blue teal accents would be pretty. And layers throws with texture, fur pillows. Maybe a canvas curtain or a wide stripe curtain in a neutral shade would be nice. Just add your family touches to it- that always makes the room feel special. My friend painted the inside of her cabinets just the back inside wall of each cabinet with a little pop of color it was nice .

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

jessie - this old dilemma may have been solved already back in 2016. If not, then the OP will eventually jump back in.