Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlogin

double island, extra big island or smaller island + nook table

mlogin
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need some advice.... I have an almost square space in the middle of an L- shape kitchen. After walkway and aisle clearance, I can physically fit 7'6" x 9'6" kitchen island. So, my dilemma is should I have 2 islands, 1 island plus nook table or 1 larger island ? please comment or advise..... thanks in advance

Comments (35)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I personally would have a long but not-nearly-that-wide island, say 9'6" x 4'.

mlogin thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

that was my first thought too, but the range is opposite the 7'6" side . also, if i make the island less wide, i end up with a nearly 7' walkway + 4' aisle.....

• mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

would it be too weird to have a T-shape island, with the top of the T on the 7'6" edge? and with seating around he stem of the T?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

You mean like this?

mlogin thanked Lavender Lass
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yeah, thanks. exactly. I've seen pictures of this configuration, but haven't actually seen or used one in real life. I only have experience with smaller condo-sized kitchens, so to me something like this seems too big of an obstacle to walk around or to clean?? Would love to heard from those who have island similar in shape and/or size.....

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Find something that is 7'6" deep and see if you can reach the middle to clean it for almost 10' - twice. That's a lot of reaching and a lot of wiping at the same time.

What is across from the 9" sides?

Here is a variety of island configurations that might give you some ideas as to how you can make the island efficient without perhaps being so big.

Link island configurations

mlogin thanked blfenton
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Opposite the 9' sides - on one side we have the main sink. On the other side is a walkway + fridge. Also, we are planning a prep sink opposite but offset from the range.

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

Can you draw the space with the appliance locations?

mlogin thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here a sketch of the space. ...

• somersetlass
    8 years ago

We have a huge old servants prep table from a country estate. It is 11ft x 6 ft (132" x 72). It is a pain to polish the middle. It is just too wide. I love it tho but I wouldn't want our island as deep

mlogin thanked somersetlass
  • brdrl
    8 years ago

My preference is a smaller island and comfortable seating area. I find large islands awkward to walk around. We just finished a renovation with a 4x4 island (2 stools on one side with an overhang) and a corner banquette seating area with round table. I like the seating options for get togethers and a better flow through the space.

mlogin thanked brdrl
  • stephanj
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I really love when kitchens can fit one of those islands that also fits a table height eat-in space. I agree don't make a 7 foot wide one, you will be laying on top of it to clean it :-) What a blessing to have all that room!

Arrital Kitchen - Claremont · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Deer Valley · More Info

Contemporary Farmhouse · More Info

mlogin thanked stephanj
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funkycamper, I like your suggestion. If I make my aisles 54" on the sink side, and 66" on the fridge side, the island can be 5' x 9'. Would this be too big or too deep? How should I configure the seating and/or storage?

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If it were my kitchen, I would do the wide aisles with the T shape like Lavender's post.

• mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've sketched out 2 options -- a simple island and T shape. Does anybody have any experience with either setup? Pro and cons? Please comment. If it were you're kitchen, which would you prefer?

• elphaba
    8 years ago

I had the choice of having my prep sink on the corner edge of my island or move it in a little like in the second diagram above. According to most comments here, it seemed there were strong recommendations to have space on both side and I'm so glad I did. Also, the second diagram above looks less "bulky". Probably want to make sure that seat on the end can be pushed under the island so there is easier "walk behind" space but seem like if it is only out during meals, I suspect that wouldn't be too bad. I've learned that some of the official Kitchen guidelines for aisle space are more than some of us really need. I fretted over this quite a bit regarding aisle space between my fridge and island and ended up crossing finger and going with 42 inches excluding counter edge. It is perfectly fine! Of course there are only two of us most of the time so that could make a bid difference, maybe. Good luck.

mlogin thanked elphaba
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I really like the T. First, like elphaba mentioned, it allows you to have a nice, wide work space where the prep sink is so you can have space on both sides of the sink. That is so much more functional than having it in the corner. Second, unlike elphaba, we played with narrower aisles with temporary cabinets being moved in different positions to gauge the narrowest that would work for us and we need a full 54" to feel comfortable with multiple people working in the kitchen. I think 4-feet would be fine for most people but my husband moves around like the bull-in-the-china-shop and I need those extra inches of clearance for me to not get bonked by an elbow, lol. Those wide aisles for seating with the T-shape means people can sit there and visit and not be in the way of someone wanting something out of the fridge/freezer or doing clean-up.

Also, again, wider aisles will make your kitchen feel more spacious and avoid looking and feeling as if you are trying to cram more into it than the space should have. Some people like to feel more cozy. I don't, at least not when I'm working. YMMV.

Note the placement of the seating in both your examples. The T allows for room on each side of all the seating, the square doesn't. Now imagine you're sitting there eating and want to raise your elbows to bring food to your mouth. There just isn't room for eating/drinking actions. I think you'll find that people will enjoy sitting where they have space on each side of them (and behind them without feeling like they are in the way of people working) and tend to sit there more and linger longer. Crowded seating is more of a space where people would be inclined to just eat-and-run, imho.

mlogin thanked funkycamper
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am leaning towards the T, but still not sure. I definitely like the extra prep space in front of the range and around the sink, wider aisle, more space per seating, and potentially better looking focal point with a longer edge opposite the range.

But, I want to give the 5x9 rectangle a chance and see what it has to offer. I think it has more storage with the extra storage under the seating area (though not easy to access). The aisles immediately in front of the fridge and sink are 1' wider (but landing for the fridge might be too far away). There could be more options for seating as people can sit anywhere around the island if they don't mind no overhang. I think it's a cleaner look as it can be done with one big slab of stone while a T will probably need a seam to join 2 pieces. Comments?

To build the T, do you think we can get away with a simple 7x3 island (with no overhang for seating) and then have a 5x3 table butt up against it ? Or would it look nicer as one uniform counter top?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

The large island doesn't seem like a good fit....and the prep sink is not in a great location, either.

The T-shape will be much easier to use and sit around....with better prep sink access from range. And you don't have to crawl up on top of the island to clean the middle :)

My attempt to try a "Buehl" zone approach.

• mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks lavender_lass! I like that approach. The T does make a lot of sense especially in the daily family routine. You think I can just have a 3x7 island + kitchen table (to make a T)?

On another note, I just went over the 31 kitchen rules (NKBA).... Do you think the distance from the fridge to the range is too far? The rule says no more than 9'; i think the way it is drawn, we have 11' or 12' ....

• mschwartz52
    8 years ago

I hate to disagree but I strongly dislike the t. I think it looks awkward and will function awkward.

I would keep the rectangular island part of the set up but have a separate table the same approximate size (6x3 maybe 5x3) sitting behind and parallel to the island. Having the eating area at table height will make it much more functional. Adding a wooden table will add interest and break up the space.

mlogin thanked mschwartz52
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Having the island to set things down is nice! Also, if you want a few things (milk, cream, cheese, etc.) a little closer....maybe have a fridge drawer or UC fridge near the range.

The nice thing about a T is that you can have it one or two pieces. One is more modern, but two will give you more flexibility.

An island (counter) height table area is great for stools and lounging....but more difficult for small children and some other family members. If it's two pieces that you slide together, you can change it as your needs change :)

• rmtdoug
    8 years ago

I agree with Lavender. You probably need another fridge or to redo everything. 48 inch aisle + the depth of the fridge + where it lands on the island = too far. I know from experience that gets old really fast. You will wear yourself out moving stuff around.

mlogin thanked rmtdoug
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Of course you can do the island with a separate table abutting it. I think most people are more comfortable sitting at table height anyway.

It seems most of us end up comprising somewhere in our designs. In my own kitchen, my fridge is 13.5 feet from my range. It doesn't bother me a bit. What I have gained in both functions and visual appeal more than makes up for that few extra feet.

Plus, we cook from fridge to sink/prep area to cooktop/oven. I can't think anything that go straight from cold to heating without some stop in- between. My prep sink is 8 feet away from the fridge. I think this measurement much more important. My prep sink is then 5.5 feet from cooktop. I find it all easy and efficient to work in.

YMMV, of course, but I think your distances between appliances are just fine.

• rmtdoug
    8 years ago

Are the fridge and freezer paired? Is the fridge a single door? Could the fridge go where the microwave is?

mlogin thanked rmtdoug
  • ControlfreakECS
    8 years ago

I have 47" from the front of the fridge door to the end of my peninsula and find it perfect to take things out, turn around and set them down right in my prep zone. I think the "t" island configuration is quite functional. As funky said, I rarely take items directly from fridge to range.

mlogin thanked ControlfreakECS
  • mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The fridge is Electrolux's all fridge. It is a single door and the door cannot be reverse. It need to be to the right of the range. So, I don't think it can go where the microwave is.

funkycamper, do you have a UC fridge or fridge drawer closer to your range like lavendar_lass suggested ? I do have space under my microwave to install a UC fridge, so I might just do that to help reduce the range-fridge distance.

• rmtdoug
    8 years ago

mlogin - thanks. It looks like you have two doorways converging between the fridge and the rest of your prep space. I was wondering if that would create a traffic problem in your prep area. If the fridge was within the stove/sink/island area, it would not be a problem. Anyone could then go via the aisle where the fridge is now and not interfere with anything.

Controlfreak, funky - I guess my having to carry everything from our fridge 6 feet to our tiny prep space in our kitchen for 17 years has made me very biased against fridges more than 1 or 2 feet from the prep area :)

mlogin thanked rmtdoug
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

No, I don't and I don't see a need for it. The distance is fine and presents zero problems. Since some people expressed so much concern about the distance, I just timed myself getting out various vegetables to make a salad and side dish, meat, some condiments and sauces, and a few other odds and ends just to see how long it took. 87 seconds. No big deal. And I have to walk 8 feet to my prep sink and back again while you will only need to stand at fridge and place the items next to your prep sink so I expect your time to do this would be less, I did not rush. I moved at normal speed when I know what I'm making and what I need to get. I made three trips.

Of course, if I was doing a look through the fridge to see what needs to be used before going bad to figure out what I would make it would take longer but that would be true no matter the fridge placement.

Do I cook different than most of you? I really can't think of any items that would go straight from fridge to cooktop without a stop at the prep area first.

With all that said, if you feel the need for a fridge drawer or UC near the cooktop, you have the budget for it, and you don't need the space for other items, go for it. I, personally, would have no need for it unless my fridge just wasn't big enough to store everything I needed for meal prep.

• mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rmtdoug -- yes, there are 2 walkways converging there, and the traffic can potential cut the triangle. Without moving the fridge like you suggested, I'm not sure what else to do to alleviate this. Should I make the aisle wider? Does anybody have a similar set-up in their kitchen or have experience this?

• rmtdoug
    8 years ago

I don't think a wider aisle would solve any potential traffic problem there because the fridge requires crossing the entire aisle and you don't want the aisles any wider due to less function. It comes down to the personality of whoever is cooking and whether they can accept people occasionally walking through their space. Most people can, but I'm married to someone who can't, so I'm sensitive to that when I think about room design.

mlogin thanked rmtdoug
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

The fridge is fine :)

If you're organized (like some people above) then you simply grab your stuff, put it on the island and prep.

If you're not organized (like me) you might be heading over to the fridge a few more times. LOL

But, that's one reason people have islands...so they have a surface to place items, making them easier to reach.

Islands 'bridge' the sides of the kitchen....and provide great seating.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Doug's wife would hate my fridge location, lol.

And, Lavender, I'm not so organized but was raised by a mom who would yell at you if you stood with the door to the fridge open for very long as it let "the cold out!" so I automatically think through what I need and where it's at so I don't let too much cold out.

mlogin, it's great that you're striving to incorporate the 31 Rules into your design. Just know that many of us find we have to compromise on one or more of them. I chose to do so on my fridge location and it is working out just fine for me. Below is my kitchen showing the former fridge placement and the current one. Current placement is actually in the opening between the laundry/pantry room. It does impede traffic through that route once in awhile but only for a few seconds so it isn't a big deal. I would rather experience a bit of congestion there than at my sinks, range or dishwasher locations. Or at my prep space or baking area. I just strongly feel that the fridge is the appliance you are standing at doing something the least time of all the appliances. If any appliance has to be placed in a less optimal position, I would choose the fridge.

Remember that you also want your fridge on the edge of your working spaces so that someone who just wants to access it for a drink or snack isn't walking back-and-forth inside your work areas. I just don't see another place in your kitchen plan where your fridge is accessible to both cook and a drinker/snacker. Of course, someone more creative than I am may suggest a layout none of us have thought of yet but I think it would require re-arranging most of the rest of your kitchen to find another good location.

Again, I'm not writing to try to influence you one way or the other but just to give you as much info as possible to consider in order for you to make the best decision for you and your family.

Photos to Share · More Info

• mlogin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks for that reassurance, funky. I think I am comfortable with leaving my fridge/freezer as is, even though our traffic pattern will be quite different from yours. To the left is a walkway to the mudroom (and then out the backdoor). To the bottom, is the dining room, and to the right, the family room. (Not shown is an alternate path from the family room to dining room) -- the kids can literally run circles around the fridge!

Just observing my family's activities today, and i do notice there is a lot more fridge-to-table activity either by the kids or during clean up - maybe more so that during the cooking process?