Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrwc

Kitchen layout & cabinet advice/critiques welcome

asrwc
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm remodeling an 70s kitchen (and removing a wall from the original 50s layout to get an open floorplan!).

I'd love any advice and critiques on the attached kitchen layout. There are 2 cooks in the house, no kids yet but will be in the next few years. We cook ~3 days/week (heating leftovers or eating out the other days). I bake occasionally, but primary use the range & crockpot for day-to-day.

Constraints:

- The long wall (where most of the cabinets & the stove/fridge are now) is an interior wall so there is no possibility to put windows there. The island area overlooks the joint dining/living room (this is where we are removing a wall).

Thank you in advance for any advice!

This is the elevation view

And here is the elevation view with the island removed from the picture (just to see the rest of the layout more clearly):

Comments (8)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

What do you plan to store in the 12" cabinet in the island? I'd consider making the trash pull-out 15", and adding the 6" to the narrower cabinet.

I have neither a lazy susan nor a super susan, but I've read here that the super susan is much sturdier. GW threads on super susans.

What will you store in the 24" cabinets on the left? Having drawers rather than cabinet bases is usually recommended. GW all drawer bases. Good luck!

asrwc thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks very much mama goose!

For the 24" cabinets on the left, I was thinking of storing various appliances that wouldn't be permanently on the counter (rice cooker, crockpot, mixer, blender, food processor) as well as bulk supplies (paper towels, dog food) and some misc stuff (set of mixing bowls). The reason I was considering doors vs. drawers here was I thought that it might be helpful to have adjustable height (e.g. for the appliances) and it seemed like a place I could potentially save a little money... but I will take another look at this.

To be honest, the 12" cabinet in the island you asked about (which will be a 3-drawer) is the area I had given the least though on what to put there. I was thinking of storing misc stuff that didn't fit along the wall cabinets, such as:

- Junk drawer, including random coupons, pen & pad

- Baking stuff (rolling pin), cookie cutters, colanders/strainers, cheesecloth, apron, maybe some extra hand towels (to replenish the ones I normally keep hanging off the stove handle).

Thank you for the thread about the super-susans! I will change that corner to be a super-susan. I'll also go back and look at options for a smaller trash pull-out, as you suggested (I think Kraftmaid has a few standard sizes and I'll likely use them for my cabinets).

Thanks again!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

You are welcome. I have a 12" Rev-a-shelf trash pull-out, and I find it's sufficient, although I have a large metal covered can in the mudroom. I compost, and recycling is kept in mudroom, but I think it's better to have smaller trash and wider drawers . Accounting for the slides, a 12" drawer has very little actual drawer space. 18" is much better for all the things you've listed, but I wouldn't do less than 15". I re-used some 15" drawers from my old cabinets, and you nailed it--they are my junk drawers, on the end of the cabinet run. You don't need a junk drawer in the middle of your valuable work space.

Budget is a consideration, but a lot of GW members have used deep drawers for small appliances, pots and pans, and dish storage. Measure your appliances, pans and dishes first, and plan the drawer depth from there. Your 30" drawers across from the DW would be good for dish storage, with pots and pans on the other side of the range. One advantage of drawers is that anything in the back is easily accessible--no more rearranging everything in the front (on your knees) to get to the items in the cave. Bases with roll-out shelves were popular until folks realized that drawers are the same, but with one less step. Why open a door, then pull out a shelf, when you can just open a drawer? If you like the look of the cabinet doors on the short run, ROS are a good option.

You could also consider roll-outs for the pantry. More expensive initially, but years of convenience.

I have a feeling that the 9" cabinet is m/l a filler, to keep the range
    centered. I have a similar cabinet under my baking area, where I
    store cooky sheets and large cutting boards--it was included as a
    gap-filler, but it's very useful. If you don't need the 9" cabinet for those items, I'd suggest eliminating it, and adding 3" to each of your other drawer bases on that wall.

asrwc thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again Mama Goose. Re: "You don't need a junk drawer in the middle of your valuable work space." - this is a good point. I put my junk drawer here because it's kind of where it ended-up, but perhaps I will add the shallow drawers on top of the cabinet-door units (on the short run) - unless I end up making those units 3-drawer units anyways (will double check the cost and see what I can figure).

AnnKH - I never thought about putting the appliances on the Super Susan. I guess I'm remembering the old units I grew up with (and the very poor one in the current 70s kitchen) - because I didn't think it could take the weight. But it sounds like the new units much sturdier than I would have guessed! Your point about optimizing for the "valuable" real estate vs. the overall/occasional cases makes sense.

I found this storage 101 thread when looking at the Kitchen FAQs section today and am realizing that there is a lot more detail to put into space planning that I should try to take advantage of. (Thanks to the person who bumped the "New to Kitchens" thread recently! It's a gem). This is my first home after many apartments and I guess my mind is still somewhat used to adjusting *to* the layout rather than adjusting the layout itself.

Thank you both again!

• asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Since the GW kitchen forum was so helpful, I thought I'd ask about this design dilemma for the same space here as well ([HW flooring color to match cabinet colors[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-wood-floor-to-complement-kitchen-cabinets-dsvw-vd~3197922))? I'm very open to any thoughts on this. Thank you again for the advice and help!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

What do you like? Do you have photos of any inspirations kitchens? Do you have samples of anything you do like? I think most of us here would agree that you want contrast between your floor and cabinets but that's just general advice. If you want specifics, you need to share more details with us. Photos are a big help, too.

asrwc thanked funkycamper
  • asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks funkycamper! I'm attaching some photos to this post. The cabinets I'm using are Kraftmaid - Husk stain on Cherry for the island and the pantry/over fridge cab. The rest of the cab run along the wall will be Canvas paint on Maple. I was leaning towards doing oil-rubbed bronze for the fixtures and possibly some neutral arabesque tiles on the backsplash. I wanted something that gave a nod to the Spanish look, but still fairly clean overall (i.e. not *overly* rustic).

My question about the floors is because I think a darker stained oak would be a natural fit for this look. But I am slightly worried that might be too dark for an open floor plan (the kitchen will share the same floor with the living & dining rooms it is open to).

I thought the lighter floor (with a maple stain that has less movement) might make the space feel brighter?

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts! I appreciate it.

Husk stain on Cherry (Island & Pantry)

Canvas paint on Maple (rest of wall cabinet run)

Darker stained red oak floor

Lighter stained hard maple floor