Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrwc

Please Help! Wood floor to complement kitchen cabinets

asrwc
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I will be using Kraftmaid cabinets in Husk/Cherry (for the island + wall pantry area) and in Canvas/Maple for the rest of the wall uppers/lowers. I'm very excited about the cabinets, but not sure what wood floor colors would complement - midtone or darker.

The floors are part of a larger renovation so would run through the open plan kitchen/dining/living room as well as the entry fall.

I was drawn to the slightly husky midtone woods like this:

Somerset Maple Mist

But I'm concerned that they'll either clash with the Husk cabinets (if the colors are slightly off) and/or look too matchy-matchy.

Now I'm considering the darker stains:

Somerset Midnight

I think the dark color could provide an even "canvas" for the rest of the house. But are they too dark to use throughout an open plan area (~1000 sq ft)?

Thank you for any/all thoughts!

Photos of cabinets + floors:

Comments (7)

• TanCalGal
    8 years ago

A mid-tone floor stain is best.

The mid-tone U show is more of a light tone. See photo. I'd try to "match" the cherry.

Highland Heights Kitchen · More Info

asrwc thanked TanCalGal
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Here are two concerns I have about both the cabs and the "maple" flooring. Both will change colours in "light" (sunlight, LED, florescent, indirect, direct...doesn't matter) both cherry and maple change colours.

That means you have two finishes that will certainly change (could be significantly) from day 1 to day 365 (1 year later).

Personally I would work with the Hickory option from Somerset (you seem to like the options there). I would look at the natural, but you seem to want a stained floor so the saddle might be an option.

If you REALLY have to have the cherry cabs with a maple stained floor, then PLEASE get samples and expose them to direct sunlight for 3-4 weeks. That's all they need to show they colours they will "turn" (buy a door from the cabinet maker and a box of flooring from the flooring store).

I would guess that a cherry with a maple will change enough to make you want to change something in a few years. Best be prepared for these changes and choose the FINAL colour...not the colour that works today. Because that final colour WILL BE very different from what you see at the showroom.

Cherry darkens (can be 2-3 steps in direct sunlight) and maple turns "yellow" (this will change th colour of the stain sitting on top). These two changes will be enough to cause your beautifully matched floor/cabs to clash in less than year. Heartache all around.

Please take floor and cab samples and let them age in sunlight for 3-4 weeks and then make your decision. You will be very happy you did.

asrwc thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cancork Floor - thank you so much for the advice about Maple. I did not realize the issue you raised about Maple changing color over a year (I was told the Cherry in the cabinets would darken a bit, but didn't know Maple would also). I'll stay away from Maple options.

Do you happen to know if Red or White Oak has this issue as well? I like your suggestion about Hickory - but I think unstained Hickory would probably have too much variation for me (across such a wide space). But I will definitely look more at stained Hickory options. I'm thinking I want the floor to set a nice canvas for the rooms but for other elements (furniture, cabinets) to be the showpieces. :)

TanCalGal - your point about going more truly midtone is interesting. I went back and looked at 2 of the inspiration kitchens I liked and see that their floors are more in between the options I posted:

Custom New Construction Home in Winchester, MA · More Info

A Suburban Oasis · More Info

The top photo seems a little closer to my cabinets, but I thought that floor looked a tad more country than I ideally want. I do like the floors in the bottom photo, but obviously the island is darker there too. So much to think about! :)

Thank you again for your thoughts!

• asrwc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you again Cancork Floor! I have a bit more time until I need to order so I've left the cabinet samples out near a sunny window. I'm focused on oak floor options now - based on feedback about less dimensional stability and the yellowing issues with maple (thank you for raising my awareness of the latter). I looked at some lighter oaks but nothing appealed yet. I do still like the dark oak combo (pic attached after getting samples this past weekend) but will revisit once the cabinet has been sitting out for several weeks. Thank you again for your guidance!

• debrakjennings
    5 years ago

Curious what flooring you ended up with and if you're happy. We just ordered Kraftmaid Cherry Husk cabinets and are struggling with flooring much as you did. I would love to know what you chose and to see a picture. Thanks in advance.

• no2jrof4
    3 years ago

Any updates from debrakjennings or asrwc would be great! Thinking about going with the KraftMaid Cherry Husk and am curious which flooring you decided.