Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beneaththeeaves

Privacy screen under a black walnut :(

We'd like to add a privacy screen along the fence we're building (still in progress) but it's right below a black walnut. Yikes :(. Beautiful but limiting. The walnut is on our neighbor's property.

There's about an 80ft long section of fence. There is a creek, which you can see the start of on the right of the picture and we'd like to add a Willow 50ft from the fence, along the creek, for standing water control. We will be putting in a retaining wall where you see the dip in the yard. The upper yard will be production oriented (dwarf fruit trees, veg garden, flowers, etc), the lower portion near the screen will be open space. I should also mention that we live in the piedmont region of VA, so the soil is all red clay.

We were thinking of going with a row of American Hollies but I'm not sure. I definitely want the hollies as they provide year round coverage and are on of my favorites but some diversity and layering would be great. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (10)

• terrene
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is that big huge tree on the other side of the fence the Black Walnut? If so, that is a ginormous specimen!

I just had some Dark Green and Green Giant Arborvitae planted along one side of the yard. There are several young Black Walnuts getting established along that side as well. I was pleased to read in the Plant Finder database on the Missouri Botanical Garden website that the "Dark Green" cultivar is tolerant of black walnut:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=253991&isprofile=0&letter=T

Perhaps there are other Arborvitae cultivars that will tolerate the Black walnut also? You could plant a row of them, with some mixed shrubbery in front.

I have no idea if Hollies would do okay near the Walnut.

Do you mean Weeping WIllow Salix babylonica? I have read that this tree has extremely invasive roots. Personally I wouldn't plant one unless it were at least 100 feet away from any house, septic system, sprinkler system, sewer/water lines, gardens, etc. Maybe even farther!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

crikey ...

your problem will NOT be solved at the lot line.. get out of that box ... fast.. before it bites you .. lol ..

plant a tree or two.. in the pic above.. not clicked on .. above the EMAIL box .. about one inch into the pic ...

clay is irrelevant .... its just a planting issue ... and we can tell you all about that in fall.. when the next planting time is ...

the closer the site block is to you.. the smaller it has to be ... and it avoids the whole walnut issue ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

I've grown spruce, hemlock and chamaecyparis under black walnut as well as serviceberry and viburnum.

tj

C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a) thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

Honeysuckle the cursed thing that it is grows under my walnuts.

• C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Terrene, yes that is the monster walnut! :) It's a gorgeous tree, been there for about 50 years (maybe more as we live in a historic neighborhood). American hollies are walnut resistant and yes the Willow is at least 100ft from any structural/plumbing. Since the creek is there, the roots won't have to go too far for water. Ken_adrian, can't plant in that upper part of the yard as you suggested, as I mentioned in the post, that area gets the best sunlight and is being reserved for fruit trees, veggie garden, etc.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

If you plant some type of honeysuckle, please make sure that it's noninvasive!

I won't suggest plants for your area since I am in such a different growing zone than you are, but there are lots of online lists of plants that will be fine and plants that don't like growing near walnuts. Do a GW search or a web search for juglone tolerance (since juglone is the chemical that walnuts produce that is allopathic to other plants) and you will get a great list of plants. The first ones that came up for me in a web search were mostly research-based university sites, so should give you a good list of plants that will work for you.

C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

Ken_adrian, can't plant in that upper part of the yard as you
    suggested, as I mentioned in the post, that area gets the best sunlight
    and is being reserved for fruit trees

==>>> my point was.. to look outside your box .. the ultimate decision is yours ...

do you have any experience in fruit trees ... i gave up on them long ago ... as i was not interested in the 3 to 5 spraying per year ... if you want pretty fruit.. like you see in the store.. you have to be rather aggressive with IPM ... including disease .. integrated pest management ..

there is a very active fruit forum ... should you wish to learn about home orchards ...

ken

C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • viper114
    8 years ago

I second Spicebush....can grow into a pretty large bush and certainly will block the view.....also very much loved by songbirds and the spicebush swallowtail butterfly

C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a) thanked viper114
  • C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So maybe something like this? From left to right, Holly, Dogwoods, Holly, cluster of River Birch. The bushes in the front represent maybe Inkberry holly, spicebush, & Viburnum Mohawk? The grey block through the middle represents a retaining wall. There will be a cut flower garden and veggie garden above the retaining wall. I didn't bother drawing that in right now. Any other suggestions?