Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenntheeditor

Cali Kitchen REVEAL! (semi-budget)

Jenn L.
8 years ago

Hello from San Diego, long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to share our renovated kitchen with you all, since your comments and advice have been so helpful to me. I would never have known about Bosch dishwashers or Blanco sinks, so thank you!! I also wanted to give hope to others, as I was discouraged by the high-end kitchens and thinking we could never get something as beautiful as we did. We have an open U shape kitchen with doors on both sides; about 100 sq ft of tile, 95 sq ft of counters, 13 cabs. Total cost: $15K materials, appliances + labor, some DIY, some contractor. This is our success story. :)

Backstory: We sold our condo (previously had renovated the master bath and kitchen) at Xmas and moved into an apartment for 4 months while we house hunted. We ended up buying a complete fixer upper that just happened to be the worst house in a great neighborhood that nobody wanted to deal with (overseas investors + rental property) and we spent 2 month renovating it. New flooring throughout, whole house painted (and walls patched and fixed), every water line and plumbing fixture replaced, and a kitchen gut redo. We didn't have a big budget, but I do appreciate value and doing things once, the right way. Our style is classic modern - is that a thing? The Audrey Hepburn of kitchens, lol!

High Level: We did an Ikea kitchen during their sale, our cabs alone would not have qualified for any discount so we threw in the countertop too ($59/sq ft installed) and got 20% off it all. We could not have been happier with how smooth the whole process was, but full disclosure, my DH lived in their planning software for weeks before we went to the store to buy. We got all our appliances from Best Buy, b/c they price match for 30 days afterward so when things went on sale I called them back and got a refund. We used Lowes for almost everything else. We still can't decide on a backsplash (glass tile), so taking a breather. Any suggestions?

Cabs: Ikea Sektion Laxarby (black painted Birch) with white boxes

Counters: Ceasarstone Nougat (LOVE!)

Dishwasher: Bosch 500 series (LOVE!)

Fridge: LG Counter Depth LFXC24726S (LOVE!)

Stove: Samsung

Micro: Samsung

Sink: Blanco Precis (LOVE!)

Floors: Pergo Max Montgomery Apple (LR, $2.50/sq ft), Style Selections Leonia Sand Porcelain tile in mild wood grain (K, $1.99/sq ft)

Pics in following posts, happy to answer any questions! Thanks for reading!

Before - 1990, moldy birch and white tile. dark grout or dirty...??

Before:

That micro was all sorts of code violations.

Half Demo'd, only pic of fluorescent light box.

Comments (41)

• Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

From the other side...

• lmgch
    8 years ago

awesome!!! love the color of the cabs with the countertop. very pretty!

Jenn L. thanked lmgch
  • alexamorrie
    8 years ago

très chic

Jenn L. thanked alexamorrie
  • anitamo
    8 years ago

Beautifully done! Love the window. You got a lot for that price.

Jenn L. thanked anitamo
  • Patricia
    8 years ago

Beautiful! And you made good use of your $!

Jenn L. thanked Patricia
  • beachem
    8 years ago

Beautiful and gratz on the price. Question did you DIY on electrical and plumbing? That alone cost me almost $20k.

Jenn L. thanked beachem
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

What a transformation! And on a budget!

Jenn L. thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • bpath
    8 years ago

That's more than bang for your buck, that's ka-boom for your buck! Well done, very handsome kitchen...and no more code violations or melted microwaves. And I have to say, it looks very nice without a backsplash: elegant.

Jenn L. thanked bpath
  • Terri_PacNW
    8 years ago

Tell me more on how you did your lightbox fix...We have a large flush fluorescent light in our ceiling to. I want to do something like you did.

Jenn L. thanked Terri_PacNW
  • Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for the kind comments, that's really nice to hear after working so hard! We really love this space and cook a lot so we are excited.

Beachem - my husband does electrical so he rewired the outlets. You would not believe how bad it was! That's a whole other post, haha. We kept most everything the same (walls, electric for stove) but did tuck a plumbing pipe into the wall. Our GC did the tricky stuff.

bpathome - thanks, we hadn't even considered not doing a backsplash! I'm just concerned about the water on the wall behind the faucet. Any ideas?

Terri-pacnw - I love our trey ceiling! Another great idea from the hubby, we took off the frame to reveal the fluorescents and then took them down to see what kind of outlet was there. Thankfully it was mostly centered so we bought the track lighting with a large rectangular mount to cover the old hole (ikea again :) of course this was after texturing and painting and putting up crown moulding. I'll post some close ups a little later. Good luck with yours!

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Vast improvements, great!!!

Jenn L. thanked artemis_ma
  • AnnKH
    8 years ago

Very nicely done! I love that the first thing you put away was a bottle of wine!

Jenn L. thanked AnnKH
  • stephanj
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Woooow! Nice job and amazing budget! You had two corners to deal with too! Love the floor and the light/dark contrast of the cabs and countertops. So you did all cab install yourselves? "DH lived in their planning software for weeks" lol no doubt!

I kinda like it without the backsplash too -- would you consider a little "bump-up" of the countertop material behind the sink? That is what we are doing, a 3 inch rise or so behind our sink, because we don't want to tile on that wall, just up to the window.

I like that you did the white cab box and not the mid-range wood, with that dark door colour. Makes more sense. Clean and modern classic, totally.

Jenn L. thanked stephanj
  • enduring
    8 years ago

Looks great! I'm glad to see the Laxarby! Love the white counters with the Laxarby.

I just installed a 8.5foot run in my DH office, both 15" base and uppers. I used the dark boxes. I love the brightness of the white, makes the interior easy to see. I went with the dark so I wouldn't have to face the boxes if the white showed through at the doors. We haven't got the room totally ready to move his office back in yet but the Laxarby is very stunning and sophisticated.

Jenn L. thanked enduring
  • ediblekitchen
    8 years ago

What a transformation! I love that you did it on a budget and that it looks gorgeous.

Jenn L. thanked ediblekitchen
  • Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stephanj - we built all the boxes and drawers and door fronts, then our GC installed rails and put boxes on them and leveled it for the counter templater. After the counter was installed we put in the drawers and hung the doors and did the hardware. He also bolted the peninsula to the foundation for support, and ikea sells a handy kit with monster bolts to do it. We really just learned as we went!

One funny story, as our counters were being installed, the gap for the stove was too narrow and they were going to shave 1/4" off the counter. DH ran in and was like 'let's just move the cab' so we unscrewed the cab from the rail, slid it right a quarter inch, then tightened and leveled it. So easy and it saved our quartz!

I also wanted to clarify the budget was kitchen only, the whole house plumbing fixes and wall patching we had to do were first, and added quite a bit to the overall reno.

Terri- here's a close up of the lights!

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

lovely kitchen! audrey hepburn is a good comparison :-)

especially love all of your light and your blanco faucet!

Jenn L. thanked michoumonster
  • stephanj
    8 years ago

Jenn that's awesome - we did Sektion as well and did some on-site adaptations very similar. Love it!

Jenn L. thanked stephanj
  • susanlynn2012
    8 years ago

I love the white counter with the dark cabinets. I love all the cabinet organization like the Lazy Susan and the pull out cabinet. What an improvement and thank you letting us know which new appliances you really like. Your kitchen looks so nice especially with that beautiful large window giving so much light.

Jenn L. thanked susanlynn2012
  • rmtdoug
    8 years ago

95 sf of counter? That looks a bit high but well done nevertheless. Beautiful job.

• bpath
    8 years ago

Re water behind the faucet: what stephanj said. Is the window sill the same material as the countertop? Would running the material up and and over just the width of the window sill give the "waterfall" effect? Or would it break the nice horizontal lines you have going now? Assuming you used a really good paint, maybe it's not an issue.

Jenn L. thanked bpath
  • hoffmalr_gw
    8 years ago

I love it! Do you have any trouble reaching into the upper cabinet to the right of the sink? I can't fit IKEA's corner cabinet into my own plan so I'm considering something very similar. We're only 5'5" so I'm not sure how accessible that cabinet will be, though.

Jenn L. thanked hoffmalr_gw
  • Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey hoffmalr, that was my concern too, so we did two 18" cabs instead of one bigger one. I can reach everything in the one by the micro, but only the bottom two shelves of the left cab. I'm 5'7 but DH is 6'2 so he helps. :) I also got a step stool. Maybe store infrequently used items there?

Rmtdoug - you're right! I'm not sure how I got that messed up, but I looked at the paperwork last night and it's only 40sf. Sorry bout that! Blame reno brain? ;)

Great ideas about taking the quartz up into the window box. It's just a white painted wood now. Maybe I'll start with heavy duty waterproof sealer and repaint then look into that. Thanks!

I really appreciate all the comments and ideas, you guys are the best!

And since I love pics, here's some storage.

• hoffmalr_gw
    8 years ago

Thanks, Jenn!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! You did a wonderful job on your budget. How do you like your pull out blind corner? We are redoing our kitchen starting date is July 14 & I will have the pull out. Never had one so just asking. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen.

Jenn L. thanked fldirt
  • Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks fldirt! I love the pull out shelving, it's easier on my back to reach the items I put on it. I know people say there is wasted space but it fits our stuff. I also find the shape more accommodating than the lazy Susan. I hope you love yours!

• romy718
    8 years ago

So glad you posted the close-up of the tray ceiling-love the molding. I can't believe what you've accomplished in such a short period. It turned out beautifully. I just love your white countertops & your storage is fabulous. I know you are beyond thrilled & rightly so.

Jenn L. thanked romy718
  • nmh92
    8 years ago

Very pretty and I'm amazed you did this for $15k ! Yeah for you :)

Jenn L. thanked nmh92
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

bpathome put it well: you got ka-boom for your buck! Very nicely done!

Have you considered doing a painted glass backsplash? No idea if that can be DIYed or how expensive it might be but given your kitchen's wonderful, clean lines and modern vibe, I think it's worth considering.

A few inspiration pics for you. You can go bold or soft with the color.

C2 Residence Renovations · More Info

Foggy Bottom Residence · More Info

Modern Kitchen · More Info

Sea Cliff · More Info

Jenn L. thanked lisa_a
  • Jenn L.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

wow, those are GORGEOUS!! I had no idea this existed and again you guys come to my rescue. Thank you so much Lisa, I now have something to vigorously research and obsess over. This would absolutely fit our style and keep the kitchen streamlined. Xmas present to myself...?? :P

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

You're welcome!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

I wanted the painted glass for my backsplash but over my budget. And where I live there wasn't anyone who does this. I love the look!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Great job! That glass backsplash would look perfect! Forgot to say I love that garden window and all that great storage.

Jenn L. thanked rebunky
  • Terri_PacNW
    8 years ago

Jenn, thanks for the close up and the "info".

• Emily Mathis
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! I thought that Ikea hadn't done a sale since introducing Sektion, but you seem to have fared well!

Jenn L. thanked Emily Mathis
  • Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

OMG.. lol.. I saw "reveal" and the first picture I saw was the tile counters and I literally went "yuck!" lol.. your new kitchen is beautiful and I love the window!:)

Russ

Jenn L. thanked Russ Barnard
  • fldirt
    8 years ago

what a beautiful kitchen. Love what you did with the blind corners. wish I had thought of the lazy susan for one of my blind corners!!! Enjoy your "new" kitchen.

Jenn L. thanked fldirt
  • Aaron
    5 years ago

Okay, I know that this post is almost 3 years old, but I am putting in a blind corner cabinet to peninsula the same way that yours is. It looks great, by the way.

Do you have pics of your installation of that corner? Is the side on the wall hanging on the rail or is it mounted some other way? The cabinet kit I have has the brackets to hang on the rails on the long side. Did I end up with the wrong one or did you modify it? If so, how?

Please respond. I am in a bind with this.

Thanks

• Jenn L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Aaron, I was shocked to get a comment on this thread! Thanks for the compliment, we're still loving and using the kitchen heavily. :) it was a blast from the past to go thru my renovation pics, hopefully these help you.

We definitely attached the cabinet to the wall with the included rail system. I don't remember exactly if we might have cut the long rail down to fit, or we got a short one. I'm sorry, good luck with your kitchen!
Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus