Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altoramaboston

DA roses similar to Mary Rose

altorama Ray
8 years ago

Hi, I only have one which is Mary Rose, and it's perfect, compact and constantly blooming. Can any of you recommend one similar to her size and blooming habit? I like any bloom form/color.

Comments (7)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Harlow Carr. Mine is new, but my understanding is that it should remain more compact relative to many other Austin's. Both of my plants, Mary Rose and Harlow Carr, are grafted. For me, Mary Rose has a rapid repeat, but Harlow Carr's blooming is almost continuous.

Lynn

altorama Ray thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Curdle 10a (Australia)
    8 years ago

Redoute is a very pretty colour; glows like fine porcelain- I have two! Although very happy with it the second was kinda accidental- bought a bare root Sharifa Asma (also supposed to be a compact grower) which I'm pretty sure is actually Redoute, as its now got a branch that has unaccountably dark pink Mary Rose coloured flowers on it. I'm assuming its sporting back.

Other ones you could look at are Mary Magdalene ( give her a sniff test first -she has a distinct Myrhh scent which I quite like, a lot of people don't ) and Charles Rennie Mackintosh- Its the middle of winter here, and I just got a flower from MM.

Theres also Charlotte, although I havent quite warmed to that one..pretty flowers, but not quite enough of them on my version.

Prospero? He may like it warmer than your zone to be happy enough to flower a lot.

You could look at which ones David Austin site recommends for being good in pots- they tend to stay fairly compact.

altorama Ray thanked Curdle 10a (Australia)
  • michaelg
    8 years ago

Munstead Wood is compact with excellent repeat, beautiful color, and fragrance. Best with afternoon shade.

altorama Ray thanked michaelg
  • altorama Ray
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I had Charlotte but noticed the same, didn't bloom as much as Mary Rose.

Thank you both for the replies. Munstead Wood is gorgeous!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

I second the Mary Magdalene recommendation. Mine are 2nd year and didn't do much for me last year but what a surprise this year. Covered in blooms, just wow! Neat, yet busy shrubs.

Boscobel is another heavy bloomer, compact, holds up to both heat and rain.

I don't grow Mary, but I do grow Winchester Cathedral and I really enjoy it. It hasn't been an abundant bloomer, but is one of those roses that always has a few blooms even when others are taking a rest.

altorama Ray thanked ratdogheads z5b NH
  • demi_123
    8 years ago

Princess Alexandra of Kent might be worth looking into. She is a prolific bloomer for me, better then mary, and mine are both about the same size, but I think PAOK gets much larger/ not as compact in some regions.

altorama Ray thanked demi_123
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH