Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_willis1260

Need Help Decorating Family Room

Aimee Willis
8 years ago
We're first time homeowners and newlyweds and we're finding decorating an entire house to be quite the task. My husband has brought in furniture from his bachelor pad and I've brought in mine, but we're looking to add more to fill rooms. This is a living room/loft that we spend a lot of time in because it's got the largest television. We want to keep its functionality with being a family room, but I would like to add bookcases and possibly an office desk in there as well. Could you help me with decorating this space? We're planning on changing the light fixtures and adding furniture/replacing furnitures. Pinterest is helpful but it's a little overwhelming trying to merge ideas. We haven't painted because we have yet to figure out what colors go well with the couch.
I've debated hiring an interior decorator but where I live we're limited and I feel like I can do it, I just need a head start. Any suggestions, pictures would be appreciated.

Comments (15)

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Remove the shades from the windows and get drapery panels. Move the coffee table in front of the sofa. Can you pull the sofa straight out from the wall just enough so that you can put a floor lamp in the corner. Lamps are so much more flattering than overhead lights. Could you show the other sides of the room. Choose drapes, pillows, and throws that go with the sofa and add color and pattern.

• Aimee Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions so far. The only side of the room that i didn't show are just doors into other bedrooms, a hall closet, and half bath. So, not much wall space or room to work with. I think the only thing about moving the couch forward would be that we would be so close to the TV. Part of me is wondering if the sectional is just too large for this room.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The sectional is way too big. It takes up the whole room and there is one option for the arrangement because of doors and walls. If this is the room that you spend most of your time in, then sell this and look for pieces that will fit your needs. I would be happy to do a floor plan if you would give me the dimensions, how much seating you need, etc.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Since you are combining households, if you have other pieces that you want in this room, let me know. Perhaps you have another room where you can use the sectional. I hate to advise to get rid of furniture if there is any way of making it work. But sometimes it is "live with it or get rid of it"

• Aimee Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The room is 10'x13'. I made specific measurements of each area of the room before I bought the sectional not thinking about things entirely. Man! I have complete respect for interior decorators because it surely is hard. I struggle all the time because I feel like I should be creating a cozy home, but so far we're just a cozy couple because I can't figure out how to set up the house just yet.

The corner where the sectional is currently is 41" deep and the back wall the sectional is (not the wall with the window) is 118". The wall with the window is 10'. Window is 71"x58". Where you see the TV currently on that wall, that wall space is 87". The other side of that wall are two doors.
  • Aimee Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My husband actually hates the sectional because he said it has a cheap feel to it and the cushions slide every time you lay on it. It was an impulse buy on my part. I just knew when we combined houses that we had very little furniture and I wanted at least some furniture that we bought as a married couple.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Give me a few minutes and I'll send out a plan.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

What is on wall opposite the window wall? Is that a big entry way?

• Aimee Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is the wall opposite from the window and the other half to the wall with the side that has the tv on it. The space beside the thermostat is the staircase. Thanks so much for your help! I can't believe the generosity you are giving me.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

That is a tough room. I hope I have it laid out correctly. I went by your measurements, There is just no room for a sofa and chairs or (chair) unless you push it back in the alcove. You might be able to float a small chair in front of all the doors. I assume one is a bathroom. Have no clue where the other go, but really immaterial. And I added a couple of floor lamps. There is no room for tables. In the second plan I tried to at least give you a bookcase and desk, but you may think that the 2 recliners are too close to the TV.

Second plan on the way

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Sorry, this is probably not what you want, but maybe someone else can see a different arrangement that might work better. The chairs do not have to be recliners and if you want regular chairs you could get a couple of poof ottomans for putting up your feet. At least you have a couple of options and I don't know if they are really better than what you have now.

• Aimee Willis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Omg! I can't thank you enough for working on that for me. I am a little sad that a sectional doesn't work in this space. Our living room downstairs has a love seat and sofa and when we watch tv we're just not able to sit together. With the sectional we're able to both lay out on the couch together. I thought about a reclining sofa to make up for losing the sectional which might be an option at least.
    Again, thank you so much for your help!! You have been a lifesaver.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Try a flex chaise sofa, sometimes called a bi-sectional. The chaise portion can be reversed right or left. More lounging space but similarly sized to a sofa. You could put the TV in the recess and float the sofa perpendicular to the window, adding a pair of slipper chairs at the window or facing the window. The chaise can move by the window or away from it to allow the chairs to be reversed. You should have room behind the sofa for a sofa table, or you could put a bookcase on the wall left of the entry door.

Private Residence · More Info

Richmond Bi-Sectional by Gus Modern, Varsity Charcoal · More Info

• TanCalGal
    8 years ago

I think the sectional you now have is OK. It is large enough for the 2 to be cozy + fits the space like a built-in.

If DH is not happy with the fabric, that can be a problem. Is the fabric microfiber? Does he not like microfiber?