Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Photos from before and after my trip

shive
8 years ago

I took some of the photos early on Friday before I left for Indianapolis where I attended my 40th high school reunion. I returned this evening and found a few daylilies worthy of pictures. This is Edge of Your Seat showing more teeth than normal.

My seedling, garden named "Valentine Sweetheart."

Another seedling, Absolute Treasure X Earth Music is up to 18 buds this time. The petals are very wide on these 6 inch blooms.

Levi Davis

Open Door

Charmed Existence

TNT

Pretty Desirable with a form I like on this bloom.

Cool Hand Luke

Snake In The Grass Boo doesn't have many buds this time, but the blooms are still beautiful.

Debra

Comments (19)

• organic_kitten
    8 years ago

More pretty one this time. My favorite is Valentine Sweetheart, but I really like the color of the other seedling too. And Pretty DEsirable is a beauty.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Kay! Valentine Sweetheart has a lot of presence.

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    8 years ago

Really nice pictures! I think Valentine Sweetheart is really nice...beautiful color, great edge, and a bitone, too. Thanks for the post. Bob

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

Valentine Sweetheart is belle of the ball. Cool-Hand Luke I've seen pictured as pink and as lavender. Pretty Desirable appears to be well budded.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Debra, such wonderful blooms. It's unanimous, we all love your seedlings!

Sherry

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brad, Bob, Sherry, and Mantis - Thanks for the seedling comments!

Mantis - Cool Hand Luke is a blend of pink and lavender. The color varies based on temperature, time of day, and how much water the plant has. My photo was taken in the evening, so the color has faded a bit. It has never been as deeply colored here as in Curt Hanson's photo, or as tall as it is registered. Pretty Desirable is always well budded and well branched. While a wonderful garden plant, it's worthless to me from a hybridizing stance. It has never set a pod, and the pollen is very weak.

Debra

• jean_ar
    8 years ago

I think they are ALL gorgeous blooms, especially Cool-Hand Luke. that one s a beauty, to me.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Jean! Cool Hand Luke is always a nice one that has lots of buds.

• Julia WV (6b)
    8 years ago

Again, Pretty Desirable is my pick. Are your pollen issues due to weather woes? I see it only has, so far, one registered kid on the AHS database.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Julia - Pretty Desirable has never set a pod in the three years I've had it. That daylily won't set seed for me even during a cool stretch of weather. Of course cool here is in the 80s. I looked at the parentage of the kid on ATP, and it appears PD did set a pod for Gossard at some point. I suspect it happened in a greenhouse when temperatures were in the 60s or 70s. That's not realistic here.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    8 years ago

I see that Gossard is zone 5 so perhaps his ability to get fertility stats is based on his temps? I definitely think Pretty Desirable wants to live here in my garden. If you decide to divide or remove it from your garden, let me know. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Julia - I have very large clumps of Pretty Desirable and Integrated Logistics, and both need to be divided. I tried to email or message you about them, but Houzz doesn't provide a way to do that. I'd love to do a fall trade. You have two, or three, or four that I've been lusting after for a couple of years.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    8 years ago

Debra: You have to allow messages in your settings. Go to your Profile, Advanced Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page and change "someone messages me" from Never to Everytime from the drop down list. I have that turned on for me. Once you have it set up to allow messages, you can send email via Houzz. You can message me by clicking on my name and you will see Messages under the cover photo. Hope this helps.

• Vawildflower
    8 years ago

Really beautiful...love cool hand luke

• dick_in_ohio
    8 years ago

Julia: Jamie Gossard is in Central Ohio where the last few summers have been hot and dry. We are really zone 6a. He does a lot of greenhouse hybridizing however.

• gothiclibrarian
    8 years ago

Are you going to come to the regional too in a couple weeks?

EoYS is always a favorite for me <3

~Anika

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, the regional is right in between my Indianapolis trips.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update on Pretty Desirable. I said earlier this week, it had never set a pod for me. I stand corrected. It does have a pod from a cross with Sweet Child of Miine. Now we will see if it can keep the pod until harvest.

Debra