Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manager53

Bathroom stumped.... Help!

J Smith
8 years ago

Hi all, we have a recent draft copy of our dream home for our family and need your advice as to whether or not there are any "type one" errors you can see. A bit about us, we are a family of two adults and four children (6 and under) wanting to leave the option open for more kids down the road (future proofing). This is also why we made the kids rooms a double size so we could have the option of sticking in bunk beds down the road...

We spend all day in the house schooling the kids (in library) and working from home and we are on a rural property/hobby farm. House will be a mixture of wood floor and tiles with underfloor heating for the winter.

A few questions we have about issues we are on the fence with...

1. Is the extra toilet or the far left of the house (near kids bedroom) really necessary? How many do you really need? Is more always better or just a chore to clean?

2. Is the master bath too big? Obviously bigger is more expensive and we were unsure if we have been a little over generous with the space in the bathroom/walk in closet. Is this realistic or just wasted space?

We really appreciate any and all feedback good or bad and will post pictures when the house is built!

Comments (5)

• homepro01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi J Smith. You must be a saint:-). You have four kids and want more?

Looking at the home design, I don't really like the bedroom and bathroom design for a family this large. I also don't see a storage area will there be a garage? Is the scale of the drawing metric?

I absolutely adore ranch style homes and would live in nothing else! I don't like the size and configuration of the two half baths because you have to get really small sinks and walk past the narrow aisle to et to the toilet.

How many boys and girls do you have? Bathrooms are a bone of contention for all ages but girls take more time in the bathroom (myself and my sister spent hours in there growing up). I will look at the plans more but wanted to give my first impressions. I don't think the master bedroom is too big in proportion to the house.

Will the library be used by the kids as the room they do their home work in so that all the desks will be in there? The rooms look a little small for a bed and a desk. Especially if you have tall kids, plan for full sized beds at a minimum in the room.

• Vith
    8 years ago

I cant find the boiler location. I saw the water heater closet. If your going to have radiant heating you really need a dedicated utility room that is well organized with different zone controls. Possibly merge this with the laundry room, you will lose the clothes folding area but I dont see anywhere else to put a boiler room.

Another thought what do you have planned for Air Conditioning?

I dont think 5 bathrooms for 6 people is too many. Especially when getting ready in the morning and bathing in the evening.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Vith,

I agree that 5 full bathrooms is great. This configuration has three full bathrooms and 2 half bathrooms.

• J Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi guys, library will be used for homeschooling purposes and when the kids are older they will probably have a desk in their room. I am thankful for your thumbs up on the bathrooms - we thought we may have been going a little "toilet crazy" there for a moment. Currently we have 2 girls and 2 boys.

Where we live we don't need air conditioning so much. We were planning to use a thermodynamic heating system (with panels on the outside of the home) that will heat the underfloor. The manifolds for controlling the underfloor heating are in the little areas called "manifold" near the office and library (accessed from the passage)

Our hwc which is currently set at 300L capacity. Is that sufficient for a house of this size?

• chisue
    8 years ago

Quickly -- I'd skip the half bath in the hallway near the family bedrooms. Make the two corner bedrooms larger. Here is also an example of the rule that any room that *can* have windows on two sides *should* have them. Those are small closets for one person, let alone two.

Is your MBR big enough to serve as 'sanctuary' from the kids? (Think teenagers.) Windows over bathtubs look pretty in pictures; in real life they are drafty and need to be covered for privacy. I don't see enough 'elbow room' at the two sinks in the master bath. I would move this wing forward and put a pair of closets flanking a hallway leading into the bathroom. You could then have two windows (with neither one over a tub). OR you might do skylights or light tubes.

Make cut-outs of furniture to place in the living areas without walls -- and bedrooms. Imagine your kids as being 12 - 20. Think of how you and they -- and their friends -- will use the bedrooms and living spaces. An idea I've liked is a separate play room/study area that becomes a living area for children and their friends.

Where will the family enter and leave the house? Is there a 'mud room' and a half bath there? How do groceries get into the house? Is there a barn/garage/driveway? Where?

I would build ducting for possible future A/C. How will you humidify the house in winter?

How wide are these long hallways? Doors wide enough for a child on crutches or in a wheelchair?