Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frushone

Would like to lighten and brighten up!!!'

Susan Marlinski
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Need help choosing paint color for living room and kitchen???

Comments (13)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Your door and trim around it look like new, unpainted installations.With the exception of the kitchen cabs and beams, I would paint the woodwork and trim and all the doors white. The ceiling could be brighter too. Then use the FP stone to find the lightest gray for the walls. Install lighting inside your glass front wall cabinets and LED strips under the upper cabs to light the countertops.

• Susan Marlinski
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Could you tell me the name of the color palette your showing ??

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

im so over gray! dont do it, its not going to brighten anything. bengiman moore

Susan Marlinski thanked flair lighting
  • Susan Marlinski
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree, I live in western ny , it was a horrible winter and not such a great summer!! I feel like I want a fresh happy color lol!!! I've never in my life have had such a tuff time finding that right shade . Everything neutral appears dull, muddy old against that woodwork. Would love to paint but husband will never go for it!!!

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Wait...I thought you were going to paint? Is this a surprise to your hubby?? :)

Susan Marlinski thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Susan Marlinski
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol , no surprise!! He agrees to paint but not willing to change woodwork. Ultimately we will be eventually selling the house:) if it were up to be everything would have been white trim!!!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If selling then painting the trim will add value. You are in the camp of the majority of buyers - white trim unifying everything. Men love natural wood, women love white in the majority of cases. For selling, I think more people will appreciate the white.

Susan Marlinski thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

at least paint the mantel white, that brown gray shade.......no good.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I agree, don't use grey. Bring in more light with some white netty mesh curtains which you can buy at Ikea for $2.99 a pair. Use little tension rods & fill the window full. They will suck in the light from outdoors. You can cut the lengths you want w/o hemming.

If going to paint the walls use a folder of all whites. Choose 2 or 3 you like & buy sample cans to paint on 2 foot X 2 foot poster boards to move around your rooms at different times of the day. You can choose more then one of the whites for adjoining rooms as lights differences will not show a big color change. You will be amazed at what a huge difference just adding the cheap white curtains will make. Believe me.

• Susan Marlinski
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Absolutely, was planning on painting mantel. What do you think about Copenhagen blue, hgtv chart? I really what to use blue greens coral , naturals shades like muslin or creams?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago
    For the mantle I would not go blue if that's what you're asking I would definitely go to cream wine
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago
    You could do a blue accent wall by the fireplace