b3nfreed

Design feedback on master suite in self-build house

benf
8 years ago

Hi
everyone,

I'd
would love to get some feedback on my house design that I'm building. It's
going to be pretty small (>1500 sq ft.) and really efficient.

The
master bath originally had a walk-in closet but I've decided to go with a
really long closet along the wall instead. I really like this design, as it
creates a great buffer from the adjacent

living areas. However, I
was wondering what people thought of the entry into the bedroom. Too
narrow? Any suggestions?

Please
see the attached photo for the plan for reference. Thanks!

Comments (29)

• houserookie
    8 years ago

If you do a pocket door to the bathroom, and put it in front of the closet, instead of the main area, you may gain more counter space. Might be able to fit double sinks.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Where's the whole plan?

I can see a TV on the wall opposite the bedroom, so I suspect you did the right thing by using the closets as sound-barriers.

I would consider turning the bathroom door in the bedroom's "entry hall". I hate that when our bathroom door is opened, the light shines onto the bed, and if I'm not completely asleep it disturbs me.

Your "entry hall" is about 48"? A hallway can be 42" and be comfortable -- and with such a small bathroom, I think you'd appreciate those few inches to make a slightly wider shower.

Have you considered skipping the shower walls and going with a "wet room"? It's not cheap, but I think you have a perfect spot for it.

Pocket doors are great for doors that stay open all the time, but they're not so well suited to bathrooms. Too much wear and tear on their hardware. If you want to go that direction, I'd go with a barn door -- kind of off-beat, but not so delicate as pocket doors.

A bath this size isn't going to be able to support double sinks; anyway, a second sink isn't particularly useful.

• bpath
    8 years ago

Lots to be gained by putting the door in the entry. You can't put furniture on that wall, anyway,,so may as well have a door. Open, it gives a little more space. You could use the old door space for a shallow cabinet, maybe cabinet on the bottom, a bit of countertop, and cabinets above. You could hang bath towels on the back of the door--they'd always be right at hand. And in the bedroom, you could put a console table or bookcase along the bathroom wall.

I've appreciated my bedroom reach-in closets; it's so easy to lay things on the bed to get dressed. (I don't, however, appreciate my by-pass sliding doors: grr) Do you have room for swing doors? They provide handy storage on their insides.

• catbuilder
    8 years ago

Is that blue wall on the right an exterior wall? If so, consider putting windows on it. The single window at the end of your tunnel will be very uncomfortable. Rooms are much more comfortable when the light source from windows comes from at least two sides of the room.

• marthaelena
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I suggest you to keep the toilet were it is.

Place a 4'-6"X22" vanity to the left of the toilet (where shower is now)

Place a full shower (2'8"x5'-0") or tub across vanity and place a linen closet next to the shower/tub.

The door will be off hallway, between vanity and shower.

you can also place linen across vanity and shower accross toilet.

If you make the hallway 3'8" wide, you can have a 5' wide vanity.

Hope this helps.

benf thanked marthaelena
  • benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone!

marthaelena, you nailed it! that works so much better.

i have some more issues with the design that i will post as a separately. thanks again!

• benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow cpartist, thanks for that! what do you think about a larger window unit above the bed, similar to the existing unit currently on the opposite wall?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I think it could be an awesome "headboard" depending on the type of window and window treatments you choose for there. I am doing something like this over my bed. I am planning on finding antique stained glass windows to put in the windows and these windows will be high up on the wall and will be the width of our king size bed.

Classic Subway Tile Bathtub Surround · More Info

• worthy
    8 years ago

Some excellent suggestions in prior posts.

Consider relocating the closet doors so that there is a wall directly across from the bed as many people love to watch TV from bed. To maximize floor space, you could easily tighten up the closets to 20 in. and use 2x3s or light steel to save another inch or more on the wall width. And don't bother with the bulky footboard on the bed.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Good point worthy. Another suggestion would be to make the closets inside the bedroom more like fine cabinetry (and it doesn't have to be fine cabinetry prices) with built ins and put the tv inside one of the cabinets. You could have drawers instead of a dresser, shelves, etc.

benf thanked cpartist
  • cefoster
    8 years ago

I like the closets - but a closet alone may not provide enough sound transmission (use something for sound proofing for that wall). And if you did keep the closets, you can always put one of those tv lift cabinets at the end of the bed in which the tv disappears when not in use. I like the way cpartist did the bathroom - but maybe switch toilet and linen closet.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

" but maybe switch toilet and linen closet."

Agreed!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Here you go. this way you don't get the cooties from the toilet on your toothbrush.

• benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

great suggestions all around! thanks!

• benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

another idea to add: what about taking a chunk out of the obscenely long closet space for a hutch for the dining area?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Love that idea!. And what I'd do in the MB is make each of the closets 6' with the center area built in drawers and an upper cabinet that the doors fold back. Put your tv in there, along with shelves for sweaters, etc.

• aa62579
    8 years ago

I like your original door swing best. It's going to be in the way of the closet in the last pic that cpartist did. That drawing also puts the toilet close to the bed, which I dislike. If you flip that last layout cpartist did, and put the vanity and linen closet on the wall closest to the bed, and toilet and shower on far wall, you can go back to your original door swing.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

What about something like this? I gets rid of some of the buffer, unfortunately.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Like that last idea with the hutch and how about a bathroom reversal for toilet and shower:

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Like Autumn, I reversed the bathroom fixtures. Good call. I also added in the built ins between the closets. (not well done mind you.)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

btw: my hutch is 4' wide so you can claim a bit more closet space back if you want to stick to a 4' hutch

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

built in is a great idea for drawers. If you don't have a dresser elsewhere I'd think you'd want them for undergarments/socks and things like that. I'd be lost without my drawers.

• benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks everyone for such awesome advice!

• jo_in_tx
    8 years ago

My eyesight is awful, so if that were my bathroom, I'd use some of the wall closet space for the bathroom linen closet, and use the closet space in the bathroom for a vanity sitting area where I could do my hair and makeup. It will also make your bathroom appear larger, and maybe a little more luxurious. :)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Ben make sure to put the toilet on the same wall as the shower and not next to the vanity. I like Jo in tx's idea of making the vanity a long one and putting the linen closet in with the closets. I personally dislike a linen closet in a bathroom. By doing that, you could then have a double vanity in the bathroom for you and DW. Or as jo suggested one sink and a makeup area for DW.

• benf
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK! So here's an update based on people's feedback. I took the linen out of the bathroom, added a dresses between closets, reversed the fixtures and elongated the vanity.

thanks!

• jo_in_tx
    8 years ago

I like that a lot; the bathroom will appear more open and attractive, imo, and you are only using a tiny bit of closet space! I do like the arrangement, since the bedroom is private and the bathroom will be so convenient to enter from the rest of the house. I also love wall closets, especially if they have beautiful doors and woodwork. :)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

btw, vanities are normally not 24" deep but usually 21" deep so you will gain an additional 3" in the bathroom.

I like this arrangement a lot. Well done!