Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msto1129

Kitchen remodel- help with flooring please!

msto1129
8 years ago

Hello!

I need help with the kitchen flooring in the rambler I am currently remodeling. The current flooring is linoleum which I would like to replace. The entire house is light color bamboo. The kitchen door will remain white. We are considering linoleum, tile or extending the bamboo flooring to the dining room and kitchen (all flooring in house will be the same). Any suggestions for flooring material and color? The concern with bamboo in the kitchen is that it is soft (can get damaged easily).

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Continue with the bamboo flooring. It will look nice in the kitchen, although... what color are your cabinets?

• msto1129
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The cabinets are a chestnut color.

• msto1129
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

Bamboo, solid strand woven, can handle kitchens but the rest is touch and go. The next concern with Bamboo is getting a match for what is already there. If the bamboo is more than 6 months old, you may have a hard time getting a match. Eventhough this is a natural colour, you will probably have a colour variation which may or may not work (that is an expensive "if").

If it was white oak, I would say go ahead and get a decent match and install. But bamboo can sometimes have issues in and around moisture. It can be great...it can be horrible. Bamboo is a funny duck.

I would love to see a porcelain "look-a-like" in travertine or, better yet, Limestone. Either of these will pick-up the warm tones of the counter, cabs and bamboo. The same can then be used as backsplash (if you need to add one).

• leelee
    8 years ago

I vote for all bamboo for a uniform look. I wouldn't worry about matching it because nothing else is even going to be close.

• Sarah D
    8 years ago

With bamboo rating 1380 on the Janka hardness scale, roughly the same as white oak or maple, I don't understand why people think it's a soft flooring! It isn't cork! That said, bamboo isn't the best flooring for areas that can get wet--but is no worse than any hardwood. If you already have linoleum (not vinyl), I would vote to replace it. Linoleum is green, comes in a lot of neutral and fun colors, and is a very practical flooring for the kitchen. Tile would be good, too, although it is hard on the feet. I don't think you need to worry about keeping the hardwood flooring the same as the rest of the house, as your kitchen is a separate room and has a separate flavor.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    Bamboo is a grass!!! Up to 40% of the " bamboo" planks is made up of adhesive( usually chalked full of formaldehyde). The dust from the install will be NASTY! I as a self respecting and caring for the health of my clients and staff will not touch the stuff. Unless your paying absolute TOP dollar for product- I would rip it all out and start fresh. Research this if you'd like. I won't even refinish the stuff. I don't do " grasses" at all. Be careful and be safe. Not everyone is fully informed on this flooring.
  • Sarah D
    8 years ago

Not all bamboo contains formaldehyde, and reputable bamboo manufacturers comply with California and the EU's levels. Bamboo can be perfectly safe to install, especially when installers wear masks while cutting or sawing--as with any other material. Bamboo from reputable companies is sustainable and a good environmental choice--unlike vinyl or laminate, that's for sure! Bamboo is a nice alternative to wood! Still, I agree with Ultimate Hardwood Ltd., that a lot of bamboo out there is not sustainable and loaded with formaldehyde. Buyer beware!