Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisak0811

Granite Window Sill...how to make it work?

lisak0811
8 years ago

I need help, please! I am having the granite for my new kitchen without the backsplash so I can do a tile backsplash instead. I have a window right above my sink with a very narrow sill. I'd like to do a sill in my granite and run a backsplash all the way up the sides and across the top of my window without any wood trim at all, but DH says the problem would be attaching the granite sill. Any suggestions? Do I really need the wood trim along the sides of the windows? Would running the granite just behind the sink to the sill be a bad choice? Would it look odd? Any pics would be helpful. Cabinets were measured right up to wood trim on the sides of window (don't know what that measurement is, just standard trim). If I kept the wood trim on the sides of windows how would the granite attach without a piece of wood holding it from underneath? And, if I keep the wood trim on the sides would backsplash above the window look odd without it coming up the sides of window? Thanks for any input!

Comments (23)

• nugglebear
    8 years ago

Did it and love it! I'm a computer dummy and don't know how to post a pic, but my window is trimmed in wood, there is about 2" between cabinets and side of trim, and I have a tile backsplash to bottom of cabinets. The granite sill was installed by the granite company, so I would ask them for recommendations. My personal opinion would be to not run the granite up the wall to the bottom of the window....it will disrupt the flow of your tile backsplash. If this is what you really want, don't give up! A good granite installer has done this before and will guide you through it!

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

I don't think I understand your question on what will the granite attach to but regardless, yes it can be done and I think it looks great.

Here is a close up of mine showing wall, underside and side of window, if it helps any.

I don't have a backsplash yet and all the windows and openings in my house are uncased so I have no wood trim but hopefully it gives you an idea.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

OK, I re-read and I think I understand the question.

When a window opening is framed there is a sill plate at the bottom. This is what your sill, either wood or granite will attach to.

I happen to have a spot where I removed a window and I haven't closed it up yet.

That board you can see on the bottom is the sill plate where the old wooden sill was attached. You can even see the outline in the paint on the wall where the sill was at.

Hope it helps.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Something like this?

• lisak0811
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Muggle ear, thanks! I was afraid it might do the same with the tile backsplash! Glad you like how yours turned out.

Texas_Gem, thank you for the pics, I want exactly what you've done! The problem is on your pic of the unfinished sill, you have what appears to be a decent amount of depth to support the granite, unfortunately, my sill is so narrow, it can't support the weight of the granite on it's own, according to DH. I've included some pics. Sorry, the window is grainy, but floor is being installed and I can't get closer. One is the window sill that was removed with the "overhang" on the side. (Sorry, don't know what to call it) then the window. Hopefully, you can see how almost flush the window sits in the wall.

Errant_gw, I love the look you have, but is it just behind the sink, or does your granite have the backsplash all the way around? I can't afford to do the granite all the way around my kitchen, including up behind the hood. Plus, I really like the look of the tile backsplash.

Thanks for the help! Oh, and yes.....the window AC unit will NOT be staying:)

• lisak0811
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nugglebear, it's beautiful! And it doesn't look like its very deep, like mine is. Do you know how it was attached? My DH thinks I will need a brace underneath.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You might check with your fabricator to see if he can drill two or three countersunk holes in the sill, for screws. Use adhesive, in addition to the screws, and after the screws are in fill the holes with matching epoxy, as if repairing a chip. If you have seams, they can use the same filling compound. If that's not possible, you might choose a tile that has a matching chair rail piece to use as support, as your DH suggested.

Better pic of chair rail piece.

• nugglebear
    8 years ago

Thanks Lisa, it was one of those special touches that didn't cost much but really made a difference. I don't know how it was attached, but I'm guessing glue, the same stuff they used to secure the granite to the cabinets. The stone is quite heavy, and since the majority of it is supported on the window frame with just a little overhang, it is very secure. Plus, I don't put anything on it other than a tiny vase or candle. Here are more pics...

3 inches from edge to window trim

About 6 inches from edge to window itself...ruler is up against window glass and the metal you see is on other side of glass

1 inch overhang

View from under granite sill

I hope this helps!

• huango
    8 years ago

sorry to hijack, but I couldn't find nugglebear's email address to ask directly:

how did you/contractor seal around your sills?

I have similar setup with marble sill and the edges are not finished, not sealed. Did you caulk? what brand?

Amanda's marble sills

since this picture, the ?columns/brown parts have been painted white.

see how there seems to be gaps between the marble and the wood molding?

But what do I use to seal the it when it transitions from marble to wood?

thank you,

Amanda

• nugglebear
    8 years ago

Hi Amanda,

Just a couple thoughts because I don't know anything about marble and am not the person to give you advice.... We 'sealed' with the grout that was used for the backsplash. That filled in all the gaps and has held up very well..going on 2 years now. I see the snow in the background, and living in a cold, snowy area myself, I know that wood will shrink in the winter from the dryness of heating your home, and then reexpand with the humidity of the summer. I notice this with my hardwood floors every year, so I wonder if maybe the gaps will disappear or shrink with more humidity. I do think that it looks unfinished though, and some type of caulking or filler is needed. I would talk to the people who sold you the marble for their recommendations, because from what I've learned on Gardenweb, marble is tricky and will stain easily. I'm sure this is an easy fix, you just need expert advice on the right product to use. BTW, love that marble!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I did the same thing when I remodeled. Previously it had a wooden sill and I thought I wanted that again. When my KD suggested the quartz sill I thought it was the dumbest thing but I'm so glad I listened to her!! Considering the rest of the window is untrimmed (ugh), I think this is the better look. I didn't go all the way up the wall with tile though.

• tea4all
    8 years ago

We finished our Reno about a month ago. I wanted a granite window sill but my GC said mine was too narrow to make it worthwhile investing the cost. I said forget it and just go with the wood sill. That is one compromise I made that I wish I had not caved on. If you want it and it fits in your budget then go for it and enjoy it!!

• lisak0811
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mama goose_gw, thanks for that idea! I wonder if using a piece of bullnose tile that matches my backsplash tile would work like your chair rail idea! I will investigate that.

nugglebear, the pics do help! Thanks for the effort.

Linnell, so pretty! That's what I'm hoping to obtain without any wood, l love the clean lines. And yes, tea4all, I'm dead set on having it, but need to give DH a good way of doing it. He has done so much of the work involved with this remodel, I feel bad every time I get a new want, he just rolls his eyes at me! lol!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

It's gotta be an easy cut for the fabricators. I think it's standard practice where I live, at least with untrimmed windows.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Out of curiosity what does the window look like on the outside?

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine a window that is so thick that it leaves less than an inch of sill plate exposed on the inside.

Incidentally, my unfinished sill is so wide because that wall is 2x6 instead of 2x4.

• User
    8 years ago

I think a lesson in window anatomy woud be helpful to the discussion. Mixed terms are being used here. Sill is the exterior. Apron and stool (with horns) is the interior.

lisak0811 thanked User
  • lisak0811
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Sophie, that's very helpful! So I am calling it a sill but it's actually the stool; and the wood one that was removed is notched just like in the above diagram with an apron below. So it is the stool I want made of granite but I need a way to attach it without needing and apron. My DH said maybe the idea of the fabricator drilling countersunk holes in the back may work (thanks, Mama goose_gw) if he can then attach pins to the sill from underneath to slide and glue the granite on to. We would probably still use a bullnose tile underneath the granite for some extra support. Unless someone else has another idea?

• User
    8 years ago

What's your plan for the rest of the window trim? The tile will help to support the stool, but that's not the only component here that will support and stabilize. The casing, installed above will also ''wedge'' the stool in place.

• lisak0811
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sophie: Well, I'm not really sure. I don't really want painted wood trim around the sides. I'd rather just run my tile all the way up to the ceiling and fill in above the window with the tile. My cabinets are going all the way to the ceiling, and were measured to come right up to the trim on the sides. Trim that we've removed durning demo. There is a gap between the drywall and window right now that will need filled with something in order to tile.....
  • Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

If for some reason your granite sill can't/won't work, here is another possible option. I found it on a GW thread from 5 years ago discussing granite window sills.

You could have your backsplash tile cover and go up the sides all the way like you are wanting.

Here is that thread BTW, lots of people have sills without casing.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2704948/does-anyone-have-granite-windowsills

• fionaoneill
    6 years ago

Hi , we have a granite sill six inches deep, but have a granite upstand the whole way round the worktop, and the sill rests on this. I would be wary of drilling into it for fixings in case of cracks. They usually fix them in place with industrial type glue. Also the marble/ granite contractor use special flexible waterproof grout to seal gaps and joins, and they usually have the colour blended to match the granite. I need more of this as mine is in a long time and some gaps beginning to show.

• mmallory85
    3 years ago

Lisa, Please post your final solution. I’m trying figure out this same issue.

Thanks