Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some new ones and my longest blooming earlies

shive
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'll start with the photo I think is my best shot of the morning. It's Amethyst Prism on rebloom with its prettiest flower yet. And it's in the 9-inch range.

This is one I just got in late June. It's supposed to be Memphis, but I suspect it's an imposter because the edge isn't right. A beautiful pink anyway.

I jumped on the Joan Derifield bandwagon and added this one last fall. This is the ffo. I guess it's blooming on Illinois time.

Green Mystique is one of my longest blooming EMs. It was one of the first to start blooming the last week of May. It still has three buds to go.

Baja California still has 5-6 buds on the original scapes and rebloom coming.

Queen of Narnia still has a few buds to go on its original scapes and an instant rebloom scapes.

American Doll was my longest blooming registered pink. This is the last bloom.

Best for Last

Coco Columbus hanging out while I photograph flowers.

Debra

Comments (26)

• Brad KY 6b
    8 years ago

I really like Amethyst Prism!
    Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Amethyst Prism is striking, but I absolutely love every one you posted today. I especially like the color on American Doll and Memphis? . What is the edge supposed to look like?

Sherry

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Brad!

Sherry - Here's the Dan Trimmer's photo of Memphis. The bloom is much more voluptuous and ruffled with mostly cream nubs on the edge. Because of the edge, I bought it to cross with one of my pink seedlings that has a cream/white edge. What I have blooming in the pot with the Memphis tag has too much gold on the edge, and the pink is much darker next to the gold edge. I wonder if the seller sent me a Memphis seedling by mistake. I'll wait for a few more blooms before I send her the photo.

Debra

• jean_ar
    8 years ago

well, dang, had my msg all wrote out and turned aroiund to check out a moise I heard anit wll disappeared some where. DRATS< I said how much I love Amethyst Prism.Now that one I got to have one day.its a beauty.its a UF? its so pretty and bright. ot to have one like it,and also like the photo of

Columbus he makes me think of my Miss Blackie that died last year.

• Nancy
    8 years ago

I like your Memphis, but I think the real one appeals to me just a bit more. I love Amethyst Prism for that pattern, I had not realized how big it is, makes it even better. Baja Cal looks so good too.

• Vawildflower
    8 years ago

I really like Joan derifield! Might have to add to my collection!

• nancykvb
    8 years ago
    Amethyst Prism is great, I bet it's fantastic in a clump. I feel like I need to add Baja California to my want list!
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Number one is your Memphis wannabe pink. If you ever find out what it really is I hope you post its proper name. If it turns out "just" to be a seedling and has good stats, what a happy mistake it will turn out to be for you. I like Memphis too, but it's a little pale for my tastes....You know how I like Green Mystique and like yours mine performed wonderfully even in a part shade position. I always saw it as a light yellow, not white, and your picture captures the color I saw.....You sure do have pretty cats. Do all the siblings get along with each other?.......Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maryl - The possible Memphis is a nice pink. I had Bubblegum Delicious bloom today too. And it's got a gold edge - supposed to be cream/white. Maybe it's this heat . Most of the feline siblings get along well. Zuzu, the male, gets along with alll the females, including Cowgirl, my inside baby. In fact, he comes to check on her at the screen door or at the dining room window several times each day. Coco Columbus can be a bit grumpy, and sometimes hisses at Sammie and Zuzu at mealtimes. But, for the most part, they are one happy family. And they still act like kittens around their mother, Tuxie. When she comes by, it's a rubbing lovefest with all of them vying for her attention. And she shows up a couple of times a day, but rarely stays long.

Debra

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    8 years ago

It's nice to hear your update on all of the gypsy cats! How long have they been with you now?

Amethyst Prism is stunning, I can only imagine seeing that extra large flower in person! And if a whole clump were blooming? Whoa!

I don't know why, but Joan Derifield just doesn't do it for me... I've had it for 4 years, I believe. I think she will be leaving my garden this year to help make room for the ones I have in pots that have to go into the ground before I lose them over the winter. I was thinking of getting rid of Green Mystique, as I have so many that are similar now, but I just can't do it. I do love Green Mystique. I can't remember how long I've had it, but it's been at least 6 years.

Thanks for sharing all your great pictures!

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jean - Amethyst Prism is not a UF because the petals don't regularly twist, pinch, or cascade. But it's narrow and 9.5 inches, so it's a good one to cross with UFs.

Laura - I will have to see Joan Derifield in a clump before I decide whether I like it. I have three nice fat fans now growing in a pot. I wish it would not be so hot, so I could finish making the bed where I'm putting some of my potted northern dayliliies. I have had the Gypsy Cat siblings five years now. Here is the mama, Tuxie.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

First momma cat, Tuxi, is so cute. Those white hairs randomly scattered in the black make her look like a porcupine quilled her. And Cowgirl is beautiful, just plain beautiful. Does Tuxi belong to someone or is she wild?...........Bubblegum Delicious was on my list for awhile, but she's off now. For one I couldn't find BD from anyone other then the hybridizer (Mitchell) in California, and most of Cal. has rust problems. Will never consciously do that to myself again. Two, I saw some pictures and heard some stories and I don't think her color holds up very well. You can test the color/substance part. I could be wrong about the latter.......The story of ZuZu taking care of Cowgirl is understandable having now seen the object of his affection......Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maryl - Tuxie belonged to a neighbor who was in and out of the hospital with cancer. She eventually died, and her daughter inherited her house and lived there for three years. The daughter and at least three neighbors I know of befriended Tuxie and feed her. She has her daily rounds and never goes hungry because so many people love her. I had her spayed the same year I had all the kittens neutered. Our neighbors across the street call her Oreo.

Cowgirl is a real sweetheart and a snuggle bunny.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    8 years ago

When JD gets into a large clump (mine is over 12 fans) you may find hang-ups with the buds opening. When I got it from Curt he sent 4 fans. I'm dividing mine this year just to slim mine down. Increases great but when in a huge clump I've noticed hang-ups. Just as an fyi based on what I see here.
    Unfortunate that imposters creep into the garden.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Julia - Interesting about Joan having hang-ups in a large clump. I will be lucky to get to more than 12 fans. I notice in any large clump there are a few hang-ups - especially with large flowers.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maryl - The Memphis imposter looked great at 7 p.m. The heat index was 104 yesterday afternoon. It has good substance.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

That's exciting Debra. Are you going to investigate further what it is? If it's a seedling sent by mistake can you name it and propagate it?....I really like the pink yellow edged ones. Haven't seen white edged pink I don't think, but the yellow edge sure sets off the lighter pink varieties.......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

A lot of daylilies don't look exactly like the hybridizer's photo. And cultivars can look different once they get into the garden. Your cats are all so photogenic! When I look at the parentage of Amethyst, I say, "not for me."

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mantis- You are so right about daylilies often not resembling the hybridizer's photos. And this pink Memphis looks much different on the second bloom than it did on the first. We'll see how it progresses. I just found out many of "prisms" are not very hardy. I need to get that one out of the pot and into the ground the first cooler day we have. I'm almost sure AP would not survive in a pot should we have another winter like the last two.

Debra

• nat4b
    8 years ago

I love ALL the flowers here! And great portraits of your cats!

Amethyst Prism is big And beautiful! Supposed to be Memphis and American Doll have adorable blooms! My AD barely survived the winter and won't bloom. I always love the look of Joan Derifield! I have something similar though and no room, so I'll just admire it in the pics, it's quite popular too :)

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Wow, Amethyst Prism is huge! Does it flop or need staking?

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen - Amethyst Prism seems to have very sturdy scapes. No staking necessary. Of course, it needs to be in full sun. Otherwise I think it would lean.

Debra

• gothiclibrarian
    8 years ago

You've caught my interest by saying that American Doll is your longest blooming REGISTERED pink.

Do you have any seedlings that perform even better? :D :D

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• shive
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anika - With its instant rebloom, seedling "Valentine Sweetheart" blooms a little longer. I usually have blooms on this one from mid June through August.

• gothiclibrarian
    8 years ago

Oh she's lovely...what a great edge and eyezone!

Cheers!
    ~Anika