Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zsuzsanna_szugyi

Lotus not flowering

Zsuzsanna Szugyi
8 years ago

Hi, I planted a Lotus flower last year in a 5 g pot with mud and placed in a big bucket of water. The had the most beautiful huge flowers last year but the lotus grow out of the mud and now they are in the water also.

They survived the California winter and started to grow again.I fertilize the with aquatic fertilizer and they growing again but no flower. Some of the roots are rotten. What should I do. can I take them out now , clean and plant the tubers separate?

Comments (12)

• Zsuzsanna Szugyi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I do have the smaller pot maybe 3 g. in which i originally planted the tuber with the mud and put it in a big tub maybe 25 g. with water. I don't remember the name but the flowers were very large last year 5-6 of them.The pot I got from Walmart but as big as the Tuff Stuff.

I pulled some of the rotten roots and steams out from the bigger pot yesterday but the rest is still growing. Some of the green leave start to brown around the edges. Should I change the water? Maybe is getting bad? It smells like fertilizer but I think that is good for them,

• Zsuzsanna Szugyi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think it called the: Nelumbo Nucifera One of the first flower.

• catherinet
    8 years ago

It looks a lot like my Eqyptian lotus.....which is a HUGE lotus. I wouldn't plant it in anything less than 7 gallons. And then put it in the bigger pot with water.
    Like I said, I wouldn't do much with it this year, until it goes dormant, and then I would turn the pot over and choose a big juicy tuber with at least one eye. There are lots of good sites on Google that tell you how to place the tuber in the soil. Speaking of which.......are you using plain, heavy garden soil? That's what you should use......not lighter potting soil or anything like that. What kind of fertilizer do you use? I would use probably 3 fertilizer tabs every 3 weeks. Stick them down into the pot, against the side of the pot (so it doesn't burn any tubers/roots). Anything that has big blossoms needs a lot of phosphorus, so be sure the fertilizer tabs you use have a high amount of phosphorus in them.

The blossom you have is lovely.

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank sunk into the ground and filled with soil. I started out about 14 years ago with one tuber in it. It flourished for years, but the last 2 years, it only grew leaves. We cleaned the top several inches of soil/plant out of the top of it, and it's coming back very slowly. The reason you need to thin them (besides their tubers/roots becoming too bound up) is that they seem to use up all the soil too. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire bottom of our 300 gallon stock tank is just a tangle of roots and tubers with very little soil. Plus, it's hard to figure out how to fertilize this "bog". We'll see. It would be quite a job to dig all that soil out and put new soil in. But dang........they were so beautiful when they were growing good.
    Good luck to you.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

That's Nelumbo nucifera not an Egyptian Lotus. The so called Egyptian Lotus is actually a Waterlily, Nymphaea sp. Nelumbo have mature leaves that rise up high out of the water. Their seed pods are very different as well, with large pea sized seeds. Nymphaea have floating leaves with seed pods being more fleshy with thousands of tiny seeds inside.

• Zsuzsanna Szugyi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is last years flower and seed pod without the seeds.

Thanks for the respond . I will wait till end of season and re pot the tubers. I have a 600 gallon empty tank maybe that would be enough for all of them. make it like a pond.

• catherinet
    8 years ago

Tropicbreezent..........I think you're right. However, The William Tricker Company sells it as the 'Egyptian Lotus'. I think they might be wrong.......??

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

Zsuzsanna Szugyi, that is Nelumbo nucifera. The Nymphaea seed pods are more spherical and smaller. Also, the stem of the spent flower starts to coil which pulls the pod under water giving it some protection from animals. The seeds are sought out by a number of animals as well as humans.

Catherinet, yes, wouldn't be the first time that plant sellers got it wrong. But at the same time, that's a common mistake. Problem is it's being perpetuated and leading to a lot of confusion when looking for information.

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    8 years ago

That's a beautiful lotus. I grow them in CA too and for me its very random. Some years I get many blooms and some only 1 or 2. I think repotting it with fresh soil and fertilizer annually should improve it. I also use a little cow manure at the bottom of the pot.

• tommyc
    8 years ago

Lotus need more that 30 gallons to bloom. Look at my blooms from Michigan. They start 4th of July to Middle August. No fertilizer until 3 aerial Leaf. Scroll down here and click on a photo to see them close up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/area53/

• hogla Perumalapalli
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I planted Lotus plant 2 years ago still now didn't get any flowers

• catherinet (5IN)
    7 months ago

How big is your pot that it's in? Have you thinned it yet? Any fertilizer? Unfortunately, mine all died several years back. Just a reminder that mine were in a 300 gallon stock tank in the ground. It started to quit making blossoms and only leaves for a couple years, and then it died. It's my understanding that since I fertilized it in this big tank without any drainage for years, the by-products of the fertilizer essentially made the soil toxic for the lotus and it just died off. Another possibility is that it filled up the entire stock tank with roots and had nowhere to grow. But for yours......make sure if it's in a smaller container (like just a few gallons), you must dump it out and save only 1 or 2 good tubers and replant it. Good luck!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus