Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpex

Bryant v. Goodman Heat Pump and Air Handler

kpex
8 years ago

I received 2 quotes for a heat pump air handler and would like an opinion on the reliability and performance on the units. Residence is in Central PA

First quote is a Goodman 3 ton 16 SEER 36,000 BTU #SSZ16 matched with an 3.5 ton variable speed air handler #AVPTC 42 and a 20Kw heat strip

Second quote is a Bryant Evolution 286BNA036000 17 SEER matched with a Preferred series air handler FV4CNB005L00 and a 10 Kw heat strip KFCEH26601C10

Cost difference between the units is significant (IMO). Both companies have a good reputation as installers.
Thank you in advance for your time and opinions

Comments (10)

• d2305
    8 years ago

Bryant is a cheap Carrier while Goodman is a premium brand. I would hate to see your electric bill with heat strips in the winter. One can get some good deals on Goodman as they are loose in selling to the public. Do a google search.

• tigerdunes
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Absolutely disagree with above post. Bryant is sister company to Carrier and model to model is same except for cabinetry. The idea that Bryant is cheap Carrier is simply not true.

now to your post.

What size is existing heat strip? I don't like the Bryant configuration. An Evolution condenser with a Preferred series VS air handler. I would suggest dropping down to the Preferred HP Mdl 226a which should save you some bux. Add Bryant Edge Thermidistat. Any heat strip sized above 10 KW should be staged. Still prefer HPs with demand defrost which neither Bryant nor Goodman offer. I would not have a Goodman. Still prefer HP systems that have demand defrost like Trane/AmStandard..

6937312 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED SERIES PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 226ANA036****B FV4CN(B,F)005L 1050 840 36400 13.00 16.50 35400 9.00 22600 1 HRCU-A-CB 267 754 Yes

IMO

• mike_home
    8 years ago

I have found Bryant and Carrier to be the same equipment. If you look at the product data sheets they are almost exact copies of each other.

The Bryant Evolution is a 2-stage heat pump while the Goodman is a single stage model. It is not a fair comparison. This is one reason for the price difference.

There are those who love Goodman and those who hate them. Do a a search of "Goodman problems" on this forum to get an idea of the complaints with the Goodman products.

• kpex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. Current heat strip is 10kw. Is a 10kw sufficient or would a 15kw make more sense? I think the 20kw with the Goodman quote is too much. I don't need my electric bill to equal a mortgage payment.

Since the price differential was so much, I was wondering if the quality between Bryant and Goodman warranted spending the extra. Everything I read said no, but this isn't my field of expertise

• tigerdunes
    8 years ago

You should see a reduction in the Bryant system I speced out going down from an Evolution Mdl to a Performance 226A model. What did dealer say? I wouldn't have a Goodman period.

iMO

• kpex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I emailed Bryant dealer with the system you speced. Haven't heard back yet.

Just heard back, only about a $520 reduction between the 226ANA and the 286BNA. The SEER rating reduced from 17 to 15.

• d2305
    8 years ago

If natural gas is available where you live a gas pack would be cheaper in the winter. From what I've read Carrier is to Bryant what Goodman is to Amana. If they are the same price, why not buy the flagship brand? There is a reason that Amana and Bryant are less expensive.

• kpex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, I wish natural gas was available, unfortunately it isn't.

• d2305
    8 years ago

Wonder how propane compares with electricity?

• kpex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a propane fire place and the cost of propane was very expensive. It has come down as a result of the fracking industry