best kitchen sink

jean house
8 years ago

can't decide which sink to install in my new planned kitchen

Comments (12)

• beth09
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi jean. There are lots of choices, but style (under mount, top mount) /color/preference (double bowl or single) play a role in deciding and without some background on your kitchen colors/counter, etc. people won't know where to begin in suggestions. :)

• User
    8 years ago

Also there are pros and cons of different materials:

- stainless steel - not expensive, and can be bought online for downright cheap. Tough, shiny, but does scratch and show water marks. Goes in both traditional and modern kitchens. Difficult to keep looking shiny.

- enameled cast iron - classic, traditional, easy to clean, can chip if a heavy object is dropped in it. Doesn't go as well in a modern kitchen, though modern kitchens do have them.

Fireclay - traditional, very beautiful, heavy and hand-made which can make installation more difficult. If installing a disposal, usually needs an extender for disposal (easy to find) because of the thickness of fireclay. Can develop crazing around drain if disposal is overtightened when installed.

- Silgranit - tough, made of 80% granite, doesn't show water marks or scratches, comes in really great colors, the easiest of all the sink surfaces to clean and to keep looking clean. It can go in both a traditional and modern kitchen. Some people don't like the composite appearance., Can be damaged during shipping, but once installed, is very difficult to damage.

Copper - tough, anti-microbial, a "living finish" - people either love the patina or don't.

• Jeannine Fay
    8 years ago

I have a Franke Orca and love it, but I'm coveting this one by Kohler that was not out yet when I had to choose. I'm a big fan of the multi function/ prep/clean up sinks available now. I just think they make so much sense. Especially when you only have room for one sink in your kitchen that has to do double duty as clean up/prep.

Kohler Prlolific sink

• Fori
    8 years ago

I like one big enough to put the refrigerator shelves in.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

The scratches in SS sinks are patina. After the first few, you don't even notice them. If you get a brushed SS, you will notice those scratches much less anyway. Maybe it's our water but I never have watermarks in my SS sink.

Is this your only sink? How big of a cabinet are you planning? Most folks here agree that single sinks are the best and the bigger the better. Also, in order to have more undercabinet storage space, look for sinks that have drain holes either to the back or to the side.

Some folks like using the grates that come with the sink while others don't.

I don't know how to advise you without more information. I will say that I spend a ridiculous amount of time researching sinks and reading every discussion thread I could find here on GW Kitchens about sinks. If you have invested some time into thinking about your needs and preferences and reading up on others experiences, you should.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Don't forget about repairability. Stainless steel and solid surface sinks are easily refinished. Silegranite is difficult to scratch, but if you do the scratches can't be removed with the factory finish intact. Chips in cast iron are forever.

• ginny20
    8 years ago

These have been very comprehensive reviews of sink options - well done, you guys! I would like to mention one more option, which is the low divide sink. That's what I chose for my (only) sink. I like it much better than my old 50/50 sink with the full divide. I believe low divide sinks come in 50/50 or 60/40, SS or Silgranit. There also was a sink with a removable full divide that looked interesting. There are a few old threads about this. Here's one.

Single Bowl vs. Low Divide Sink

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Thanks Ginny! I forgot about those! (I'll add it to the list above)

Joseph - I added some of your comments about repairability.

• williamsem
    8 years ago

Excellent advice above! I love my franke Orca as well, but was >thisclose< to getting a Silgranite low divide. I only had experience with double sinks, so I was a bit leary of one big sink. The good thing is you can always put a bowl or tub of water in the big sink to make a second space, but if it's a divided sink you can't make it one big space.

I've posted several times about the Orca, so I won't repeat it all here, but you can do a search and read several good discussions from the last 2-3 years (several good discussions occurred during my planning which I learned a lot from and several since I've had mine installed).

• jean house
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow

I can't believe the information you people have in your heads it's amazing.

I've been doing so much research on sinks pros and cons and said I would never buy a composite however the Blanco Silgranite I think may meet my needs.

Still open comments though.

I looked at cast iron (too expensive) and ceramic but wondered about staining, scratches and chips. When I clean my oven racks and rinse off in the sink I am concerned about the grey marking and deep scratches from the metal.

I will be having fitted a 250 cm and a 600 cm units where the sink will fit in, 850cm overall so restrictions here for a start.I don't want a drainer running over the dishwasher I don't think this would look naff.

Left of the 250 is the dishwasher and left of this is the corner unit 975 ( back wall) with a 350 door.

To the right of the 600 unit starts the 975 corner unit (back wall) with a 350 cm door.

My kitchen is not large so .don't want a large sink even though I would love one because it would be overpowering.

My first thoughts were with a single right hand bowl inset fitting into the 600 cm unit with a drainer I can buy these from 760 but think that is too small the 860 size I reckon would look the best.

I have seen a two bowl sink 86 cm no drainer with overall bowl width at 745cm need fitter to check this. The bowls are small 355x340 and 380x 420 not large but a similar size to the one I have at the moment in stainless.

I am having laminate worktop because of our budget so under counter is not an option.

We are a retired couple so have to watch the pennies and this will be my last kitchen so it needs to be right.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions working within these limitations.

Thanks so much

• beth09
    8 years ago

jean, in regards to a laminate counter and an under mount sink, you might find this link (also a link within this link) of interest. There are others to if you search "laminate with under mount". :)