Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meroher

Bluestone vs. Pavers?

meroher
8 years ago
I am about to make a patio using bluestone and a brick edge trim, but the cost of bluestone has risen significantly. Does anyone know of a a paver that will have similar coloring and texture?

Comments (34)

• ritting28
    8 years ago
    Would slate be less expensive?
  • meroher
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks. I have slate now- it's very slippery when wet. We're in NY so much ice and snow. Also trying to match stonework at front entrance which is bluestone with brick trim. House is brick Tudor.
  • reecejohn
    8 years ago

My wife and I are currently confronted with the same dilemma. Here in Toledo, Ohio, I've only been able to find 3 total paver "slabs" that resemble natural thermal bluestone: Torino (Bluestone color) and Rivenstone (Bluestone color), both by Unilock, and Aberdeen (Azzuro) by Techo-Bloc. Initially, we really liked the look of Techo-Bloc's Aberdeen, but then we saw a 2nd installation, and the color had REALLY faded--so, we've lost confidence in it. Unilock's Rivenstone looks pretty good, but it more resembles natural cleft Bluestone, which my wife doesn't like as well thermal. So, of the three, we think we like the Unilock Torino best. The problem we're finding, though, is that the product is so new that our local stores haven't sold any yet, so there are no installations we can go look at. (Our local store has a 4' x 5' sample installed on site, but that's all we've found.) I'm hesitant to pay nearly $9 sq/ft (uninstalled) for something I've barely seen. If anybody out there has it on their patio, please post your review and photos!

http://unilock.com/products/stonemark/torino/?region=2

• meroher
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have found what I hope is a pretty good paver by Cambridge. They have an extensive website and I found a local dealer who stocks many of their items. I'm attaching a photo from their display. It's not the real deal, but has a good look, pretty good color, and a great price- $4.74 for Bluestone Blend, Sherwood Collection. I will trim with their Kingscourt Collection, 4x8 Ruby brick. Going to purchase next week and install next weekend. Can let you know how it goes.
  • reecejohn
    8 years ago
    Meroher, thanks for the input. I came across Cambridge online weeks ago, and really liked the look of it. Unfortunately, they don't have any dealers in my city; closest one is over 100 miles away. Glad you were able to find it, though. Looks good!
  • meroher
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Reecejohn- I suppose shipping makes no sense cost-wise? I'll post finished work just in case.
  • printesa
    8 years ago

Have you looked at EP Henry? We were going to do the Bluestone, but we were afraid it would be too slippery, so we opted for another EP Henry paver

• meroher
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the tip. Just looked at EP Henry pavers online ( oddly they never came up in my extensive internet searching!) and they look great, but no mention of where to find them. I am looking to purchase material directly. I will call them on Monday to see if that's possible, and if there's a supplier in my area so I can price it.

FYI- real bluestone is NOT slippery at all. I have done many patio, walkway and stair landscaping projects with it. If not for cost, I would definitely use it again.
  • printesa
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tip.

• becky panayiotides
    6 years ago
    Have been reading through everyone's comments. Wondering how people's projects turned out and what product they chose to use. We are currently deciding if we want to use Unilock rivenstone. Does anyone have any further experience with Torino? I also noticed the Cambridge pavers that someone was going to use that resemble rivenstone... wondering if you were happy with the end of your project
  • upyerself
    6 years ago

Thanks for the photos, reecejohn. It's good to see how it turned out, and the bluestone was a good choice for durability over concrete pavers, I think.

• debbiemerrick
    6 years ago

This looks great! I have been having same debate about these products and bluestone. I really think products not quite natural enough. My husband is concerned about longevity of bluestone or any product as our previous patio (probably poorly installed by previous homeowner) was chipping away and falling apart. We live in NJ and get some crazy winters sometimes. Seems like price difference is not much between top end man-made products compared to bluestone. So question is... what has longest, best life?

• reecejohn
    6 years ago

Thanks, debbiemerrick. I can certainly sympathize with your husband's concern about longevity of materials. A new patio is big investment, and when you spend that much money, you obviously want it to last as long as possible. When we were trying to decide between bluestone and the man-made products, we asked as many professionals as we could find about longevity; and arguments were made in favor of both. Ultimately, the stone mason who built our firepit was the tie-breaker. He posed it like this..."What do you think will last longer...natural stone that was formed over millions of years, or a paver that was formed in a factory in one day?" Now, I realize that's the opinion of a guy who makes his living working with stone, but his argument certainly seems plausible. Time will tell. Our bluestone patio has only been down for 18 months, but has fared well through the extremes of 2 summers (seeing high temps in the upper 90's) and 1 winter (seeing low's below zero). We have seem some very minor surface flaking (which seems natural, and hasn't detracted from the stone's natural beauty), but otherwise, the slabs appear structually sound, with no cracking or crumbling. We have no regrets so far. Good luck with your decision.

• debbiemerrick
    6 years ago
    Reecejohn- what did you learn about Dry laying vs wet and 1 vs 1.5 in bluestone in terms of longevity? Any reason to go with 1.5 other than look? ( even though I am not sure thickness matters in look either in most design situations)
  • reecejohn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Debbiemerrick...Well, my wife and I really love the look of wet-laid, motared bluestone. There were basically two reasons we didn't go that way:

1) Cost -- Wet-laid installation adds cost in terms of both materials (concrete) and labor (to do the morarting)

2) Maintenance -- We have EXTREMELY sandy soil and were concerned that the concrete base would eventually shift or sink, causing cracks in either the mortar or the slabs, or both. That would require paying a professional to come out and repair the joint and, possibly, replace a cracked slab. With the dry-laid patio, any sinking or shifting can be repaired by lifting up the slab, adding base material, and then re-setting the slab. That being said, our contractor reduced the risk of settling by putting in an 8"-10" compacted crushed stone base.

As for 1" vs. 1.5"...it was strictly a cost decision for us; we went with 1" simply because it was cheaper. From an aesthetic standpoint, it's impossible tell the difference. But, in terms of longevity, it would stand to reason that thicker would be more durable.

• lins0606
    5 years ago

Hi reecejohn your patio looks amazing! We are In Similar predicament/research with patio.....love blue stone! How did you find the cost to be ultimately for the 1 1/2" per square ft? Also how do you find it hear wise in summer??? I have heard it gets very very hot?? Do you have a different blue stone that doesn't get as hot?? Thanks so much!

• reecejohn
    5 years ago

lins0606, we used 1" full-color thermal bluestone, not 1-1/2". It's been 2 years since we did this project, and I don't have my notes in front of me, but I believe we paid $8 sq/ft for the 1" slabs. And, I'm pretty sure the 1-1/2" was about $10 sq/ft. (Check with your local stone company for current prices in your area.)

In regard to your other question, heat has not been a problem for us. That may be due, in part, to the fact that our patio only gets direct sun for about 5 hours per day (11:30am-4:30pm) in the summer. And, we tend to use our patio the most in the evenings.

Can bluestone get a little warm during the middle of a hot summer day with the sun beating down directly on it? Of course! But, it doesn't feel noticeably hotter to me than concrete or man-made pavers.

• kwgardner
    5 years ago

Hi reecejohn, love your patio And firepit, very similar to the look we are going for. Is your firepit a kit or was it custom made?

• reecejohn
    5 years ago

It was custom made by a stone mason. My wife and I went with him to pick out the stones, but he mortared it all together and fiinished it off with a custom bluestone cap.

• safemommy
    3 years ago

I'm looking at a similar project and wondering if anyone had looked at the Everblue Pavers (outdoor porcelain) that mimic thermal bluestone and what their experience was--price comparison to thermal bluestone and opinion on product?

• upyerself
    3 years ago

I hadn't heard about those pavers. I'll have a look.

• ALN Test
    3 years ago

I'm curious about others experience with the everblue pavers.

• safemommy
    3 years ago

I am too, they are very new and only carried on Cape Cod at the moment as far as I know

• aimee_1
    3 years ago

I'm also looking for bluestone for our patio. I haven't gotten the price yet, but I found an option from MSI surfaces has "Blue Stone Arterra Paver" that may be another option. Since we are in California, it seems like authentic Bluestone is a little harder to come by. Thanks for the everblue pavers ... I couldn't find a site that carries them near me. Must be new, like you said.

• safemommy
    3 years ago

Yes the Everblue porcelain paver is currently on Cape Cod only but delivers I think within the Northeast. I looked at the MSI Porcelain Blue Stone Arterra paver as well and had a large format sample to test next to true bluestone. The MSI was more blue (versus gray) and almost too sleek looking to truly mimic bluestone (I am looking for a thermal bluestone match). But for an all blue option, it's the closest I've seen, I think I was quoted $8.50 sq/ft product only for the MSI Arterra in the Northeast. It surprisingly got just as hot in the sun as my bluestone sample (porcelain claims to not get as hot as natural stone). For the best full color thermal bluestone match, Belgard's Mirage Verona Paver in Blue Stone mimics full color thermal--it does have some brown but is very realistic. Good luck with your project, please post your end decision here!

• PRO
    Stonewood Products
    2 years ago

Hi, we deliver the Everblue Pavers to all 48 contiguous states.

Just delivered to Washington State yesterday actually :-) Just so people know.

Also, there may be other dealers near you.

• PRO
    Lambert and Lane
    2 years ago

Hello, What is the cost of Everblue product vs. natural bluestone?

• safemommy
    2 years ago

I don't remember exactly but significantly less, very different product

• PRO
    Stonewood Products
    2 years ago

Its about 30% less than bluestone -- and more contractors , esp in Northeast, are adopting it

• PRO
    Stonewood Products
    2 years ago

This is from a pool a customer just did - so we recommend looking at different patterns as trends shift to bigger or running bond - vs dated ones. Good luck!!

• vpazanin150
    2 years ago

Stonewood Products, what material is this? Looks great. Very modern.

• ALN Test
    2 years ago

@vpazanin150 it is their Everblue pavers & they are great

• mariafpino
    4 months ago

I love the look of the Everblue pavers. I had them installed around my pool this summer. Then I had the pool cover installed in October. Every paver chipped and two cracked where the tubes were hammered into the drilled holes. I am considering another material for the pool deck. Suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting