Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mousefoster

Extra dirty laundry, stackable system- wwy purchase?

Abby F
8 years ago

I have room for any stackable washer/dryer in our new mud room. This set will be reserved for extra dirty kids/dogs/horse laundry. I'd like a large load size, but that is less important than the ability to clean very dirty laundry, and have a really good rinse. Some of us (ok, it's the very pampered horse!) have very sensitive skin so the rinse it particularly important.

I think I'm going with an old school speed queen for our main laundry. Should I consider their stacked front load for this second set? A HE front load from another brand? A simple apartment style laundry center from another brand?

i don't need fancy settings, just a simple wash and dry with enough water to get the job done, and the ability to handle a bit of animal hair. Thank you in advance for all suggestions!

Comments (11)

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

I have the new SQ stack and like it very much. It is a beast of a machine. It's pricy, though, and for the laundry you're doing in the MR, a GE laundry center might serve you well. My mother has one, and it is awesome. Half the price, and probably 60% of the weight. Assume a mud room is downstairs, but JIK, SQ no longer recommends this unit for 2nd floor installation. Warnings aside, I think you would love the SQ.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I Know I would love a speed queen..lol...Mouse, you mention *enough water* lol. Do FL'ers use enough water for the type of laundry you will be doing? II've never had a FL'er but I hear an awful lot of complaints about how little water they use, so I'm clueless. When you say Old school speed queen do you mean a traditional top load one? IMO that would be a better washer for horse and dog laundry, as I understand

they are tanks.Just my 2 cents worth.lol

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

FWIW I had a Bosch, the bigger one, that is no longer being made and many times I had to vacuum the drum. It did not handle pet hair well.

• Abby F
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the mud room was designed before I came here and learned all about washing machines. In hindsight I should have made room for a traditional top loader, but at this point I'm stuck with making a stacked system work.

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

I think Pinky might be right. The dryer on my SQ is just like the dryer on the 18-year old Kenmore I removed. But my old washer really filled up and swished around. It certainly looked impressive! So a GE unitized set would give you more water and a more traditional wash, perhaps. One thing I did do -- owner of four cats here -- was open up an access panel BEHIND the SQ, because if I get a ruptured supply line, that puppy ain't sliding out. If you want to go with the SQ, and you are doing a new build, DO make sure you can get at the back of the machine if at all possible. Also, the rear access panel gave me room for a secondary lint filter which I can pull out for backup pet hair removal. (And because my laundry room has a convoluted vent run through the attic to the roof, we added a dryer booster fan, but not many folks need that.)

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

Oops. We posted at the same time. I expect the rear of your laundry space has been designed and build already, so an access panel is out of the question?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mouse if you must use a stacked set than you will have to go with a FL'er and someone else here will have good advice on that. I'm sure there will be something to meet your needs, but it may not meet your pocket book lol.

• Abby F
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually could put in an access panel- we're framed and plumbing/electric is done, but drywall isn't up until early next week. It would have to go through the family room, but could be hidden in some cabinetry. Great idea!

• enduring
    8 years ago

A barn I boarded at 8 years ago had a SQ commercial front loader. It was used. It handled English saddle pads, leg wraps, sweat sheets, etc. I don't think there was ever a problem with it. You use a lot less detergent with a F/L. Blankets were sent to a commercial laundry.

I know Miele sold a washer used for farms and livestock. I don't know if they still do. They do have the Little Giant. I really wanted that one 2 years ago when I was shopping but it is VERY expensive. I got the regular Miele, and that was still quite an investment. I did try washing my midweight turnout blanket in my mechine but it held too much water during the spin, because of the rubberized nylon outer shell. It was a tough spin for my washer. I won't be doing that again.

ive heard good things about the stacked Electrolux.

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

mousefoster, I would want rear access for any stacked unit, I think, and I would CERTAINLY recess a dryer box to take the vent. Perhaps that is standard now with new construction? In any case, it will save you floor space in your MR. But the the special beauty of the SQ front loader is that it is very shallow -- just 28" projection Into your room if you recess a dryer box into your drywall. So yes, if you can still do that -- build in a dryer box and access panel -- you will be in great shape. I swore I would not post pics via Houzz, but here is my set up from the rear, and it is a good bit deeper than it needs to be:

We stole room from my hall closet, and it was a worthy sacrifice. From here I can shut off my water for vacation, or to stop a leak. Those things can be engineered in different ways, of course. But with this, I can also disconnect my ductwork should a major cleaning be needed. The white box with the round window is the FanTech secondary filter. That and the FanTech booster fan in the attic make this SQ ATE9 unit not just a workhorse, but almost a racehorse.