Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopmail11

Kitchen layout on new construction home

Lisa Cervantez
8 years ago

Hello all,

I recently posted our floor plan on the home building forum but was encouraged to post kitchen here for the many experts! I would be very grateful for any suggestions or comments.

It is a new construction home and the layout is based on the kitchen of a house I toured a while back, I included this pic as well. We tend to gather in the kitchen when entertaining. I believe that it will have a single oven with a warming drawer (my preference) with microwave above. Gas stovetop. My main issue - the pantry. Sigh. Hubby hates corner pantries (says it is wasted space) but I think the setup looks very awkward. Another possible problem - space in front of space doesn't seem wide enough. The island measures 2 x 3.

Thank you for any help. Please let me know what additional info that I can provide. I'm new to the forums and still figuring everything out!

Lisa

Comments (5)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd shorten the island a little (12" m/l,) to make a wider aisle between it and the fridge. The way the corner pantry is built, it seems that you'd get almost as much storage space with cabinets, and wouldn't have the sharp corner jutting into the kitchen. This is a link from another current thread that addresses corner storage, with some pics that I posted today:

ladybugdoctor's thread

New to Kitchens? Read Me First. (Good kitchen planning info.)

Alternate pantry storage:

If you're open to alternate layout ideas, you can post measurements of all kitchen walls and the sink run. Include anything that can't be changed. Good luck!

Lisa Cervantez thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • practigal
    8 years ago

What is on the other side of the door next to the pantry? I don't understand your post...DH says the corner pantry shown is wasted space (hey, the Costco stuff has got to go somewhere- where does he want?) and you think it is awkward.... meaning neither of you like the drawing attached?

Lisa Cervantez thanked practigal
  • Jillius
    8 years ago

The island is not big enough to be useful. It will only be in the way of direct paths from anything to anything in the kitchen, and the presence of the island tightens all the walkways unnecessarily. If you change nothing, lose the island.

The dishwasher currently opens into whoever is standing at the sink. Typically with a corner placement like that, you have a cabinet between the sink and dishwasher so the latter can be opened without disturbing the person at the sink. However, that is less-than-ideal too because now you are dripping more when you put dishes in the sink. It's simplest and best to just have your sink and dishwasher next to each other on a straight run.

Typically also, it's better to have your kitchen have at least one, if not two exterior walls. This makes venting the range hood easier (both in terms of running the vent to the outside and because hoods work better the shorter and straighter the venting run is) and means you can have actual windows in your kitchen. If there is no second story on this house you can vent straight up through the roof. If you have a second story, venting the range in that location is going to be a pain and never work that well. And regardless of the second story, you still have no windows in your kitchen.

What is a book drop?

Lisa Cervantez thanked Jillius
  • xxder
    8 years ago

pantry is useful to store big items close to kitchen. have you considered move the pantry door to the corner where I draw the yellow line? Just some thoughts

Lisa Cervantez thanked xxder
  • Lisa Cervantez
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! This was the feedback I was looking for.

Practigal - he doesn't like the corner door as drawn by xxder (I prefer it though)

Jillius - we will discuss either creating more space in the kitchen or ditching the island. And visit moving the sink. There is plenty of room on the straight run. No second story so we will vent to roof. Our current house is quite similar but on a much smaller scale - I guess I'm used to no windows so it doesn't bother me! Not sure why they called it a book drop but it is a drop zone or mud room,