Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildhyacinth

Can I grow a spent florist's Easter lily indoors?

wildhyacinth
8 years ago

Hi, everyone! First-time poster, recently un-lurked. =)

I received a potted Easter lily from a friend's mom. I believe it was a florist's lily, or, possibly purchased at a greenhouse. It bloomed and she moved it outdoors for the summer, still in its original pot. She gave it to me in hopes that I could keep it and get it to bloom again.

Now, I don't have any outdoor space at all that is "mine" to work with. Apartment-dweller, no balcony, no patio, nothing. So the only way I can grow any plants is as houseplants.

When she gave me this plant, we cut off the dying main stem, and it appeared to have 3 little baby lilies growing off the mother bulb, each with a small crown of green leaves about 2-3 inches long. Part of the bulb is exposed in the soil, and it also looks bright green and apparently quite healthy. However, since I brought the bulb into my house, these leaves haven't been making any discernible growth. I gave it a weak dose of liquid fertilizer about a week ago. Seemingly, no progress.

I'm also sort of concerned about this potting medium, because it seems to stay wet a very long time after watering, so I'm considering repotting the thing. My question is this: can I grow this successfully as a houseplant, and get it to bloom? I've seen all kinds of advice on the internet about planting it in a garden, but I don't have a garden. So if I can't grow it indoors, I will likely toss it, or try to pass it on to someone who does. And, second, if I *can* grow it as a houseplant...how do I do that? Should I separate the baby bulbs from the mother bulb and pot them all separately? Or is this not a good time to do that? Should I leave them all in the pot they're in but replace the seemingly easily-waterlogged potting medium with a better-draining one? Any suggestions about what potting medium would be best? It's currently in a 6-inch plastic pot. I could easily put 'em in terra cotta pots before summer disappears on us with a nice organic well-draining mix.

Any advice anyone could give me on this would be so appreciated! I know Easter lilies are gorgeous plants, and I'd be super disappointed if I spent all winter taking care of them and then nothing happened. (Also, don't really know *how* to take care of them in the first place!) Thanks in advance!!

Comments (3)