Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_tomas

Wood or white interior doors

Lorraine Tomas
8 years ago
Hi! I just purchased a beautiful Tudor style home. The home has oak paneling and oak trim everywhere, along with oak beams in the downstairs main rooms. There are the ugliest plain wood doors throughout the house. I need to change them, but I am not sure if I should go with the expense of oak doors and staining them to match everything in the house, or if I should go with the inexpensive white doors that most people have. If I go with white I feel I will need to paint everything white. (Even the window shutters are oak) the previous owners put a lot of money into the wood. I don't want to lose the character that I fell in love with about the house. Please help!

Comments (7)

• lefty47
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

HI -- Yes, the 80's oak ! Just paint the doors a soft black satin finish and that's all -- not white . Adding some picture frame molding before painting , to the doors would also give them some texture and style so they are not so flat and plain . That would be very currant and classy and up to date and you won't have to worry about matching everything else . You could also do the top hand rail and newel post to bring things together , another classy look. I would re-move the chair rail /wainscoting ... it is not needed there . Maybe think about darkening the ceiling beams just so all the wood doesn't match ... that is what makes everything so flat and the same and kind of dead looking -- you need some color texture .

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

Yes Yes!! I agree with above:) Add some picture frame oak to the doors to dress them up:) This can also be done to the walls below the chair rail. I do not think you will be happy if you paint everything white it will all go flat with the walls. The best update would be to have all the wood stained to a darker chocolate. You can also change out the door handles and hardware to a brushed nickel. Sorry the best pics I could find are white not wood but same idea.

• janedoe2012
    8 years ago

I just installed four eight panel traditional oak doors. They were $250 each (just the unstained doors, they were not prehung). I think anything that isn't hollow core is going to cost at least 160/door. Painting the existing doors a satin off black (or an almost black bronze - check the farrow and ball website for ideas) is the easiest, cheapest fix.

Adding trim is a great idea, but if the existing doors are hollow core, that might be overkill - your labor and/or $$ might be better spent elsewhere.

• Lorraine Tomas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am so confused! I am not handy enough to do the picture trim I don't think. Plus I am doing about 20 doors, I am leaning towards new wood doors, stained the same. Thoughts?
  • janedoe2012
    8 years ago

Why don't you just paint them and live in the house for a while before makimg a final decision? I am guessing installation, doors, hardware (would you re-use?), two coats of stain, one of poly is going to run you 400+ per door.

Can you post more photos? I feel like the oak trim looks a littlw skimpy amd orangey. It is definitely oak? I think if it were my house I would paint the trim (not the beams) an off white trim color and paint the doors satin off black. but it isn't my house!

• Lorraine Tomas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! We painted the wood baseboards and put in white doors. I am very very happy with it.