Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Is there a solution to mixed metals in bathroom?

User
8 years ago

The master bath in a condo I'm considering for purchase has a gold-framed shower, chrome and gold faucet handles, with all other fixtures in chrome. I can change the faucets/spigots, TP holder, and light fixtures myself,
but I really do not like the shower. Any cost-effective solutions for
the shower besides wholesale replacement?

And that squished into the corner medicine cabinet and "he said/she said" blue bath/pink bedroom? Not gonna stay.

Comments (7)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was going to comment as well, but since my ideas were more along the lines of "embrace the gold" I decided not to, but here I am commenting anyway. I really like grey walls with gold/brass, so maybe try a different color paint on the walls first and a gold light fixture (although my opinion may be in the minority).

Edit -- is a shower curtain an option? Our original shower had glass doors w/metal frame, taking them out and replacing with a nylon liner + curtain was a dramatic improvement. We have hard water here, though, so the less glass that gets wet the better.

User thanked melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • ianna
    8 years ago

oh yikes - that brassy thing. I suggest looking at Pinterest for suggestions. Isn't there a more economical way to replace the shower - go to boxstores to see what they can suggest.

User thanked ianna
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Olychick - Spray paint is not my friend...or, rather, spray paint says I give IT a BAD name. On a side note, what was going on with that linked bathtub with partial shower curtain and shower door combo? I've never seen that configuration.

Melle - I never gave the shower curtain a thought. That's a good near-term solution while I take care of priority items. Sometimes the simplest are the best ideas. Thanks!

ianna - Good idea. I'll be sure to do that and hope I encounter someone as knowledgeable as the former cabinet-maker I always consult at the "blue logo" store on woodmaking projects.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just want to add that when we took our shower doors out, the FRP shower panels started to detatch from the walls. I don't remember if we re-glued them or just lived with them partially detatched until we remodeled. Hopefully your shower has something adhered more strongly!

The other issue we have with the shower curtain is that the shower pan isn't very tall. One has to be careful the liner is inside the pan or else we get water on the floor. It's not a big deal to wipe up the water after, but it does happen from time to time. I still prefer the curtain to the old grungy door.

User thanked melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Melle - If the enclosure were to be removed, I'd replace it. I was just thinking a curtain over/outside the existing enclosure would be a stopgap to avoid cringing every time I entered the room.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

I would remove the door completely and hang a shower curtain. It's not THAT hard of a job to remove. Here's how.