Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christacharlene

This year's favorite "new to you" varieties. Please Share Yours!

christacharlene
8 years ago

Every year I grow some old favorites but I always save plenty of room in the garden for varieties that I have never grown before.

I have grown several Bi-color varieties in the past (and present) including Big Rainbow, Minnie's Pinstripe, Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink, Pineapple, Northern Lights, Mr. Stripey, and Hillbilly. This year I grew Texas Star for the first time. My Texas Star plant has been pretty productive, the fruits are big and beautiful. The flavor is great. I am loving this tomato right now.

Texas Star

1 Pound 8 Ounces

1 Pound 2 Ounces

Sliced

Feel free to share your new favorites for this year! I would love to hear about them as I am always in search of good varieties that I have never grown before.

Comments (15)

• nugrdnnut
    8 years ago

Indian Stripe, Kellogg's Breakfast, Amana Orange, & Neves Azorean Red (although not real productive, very good taste).

• Labradors
    8 years ago

Rose, Pale Perfect Purple, Dwarf Rosella Purple.

Linda

• christacharlene
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carrie,

Wow, that is amazing. How many 4th of July plants do you have? Too many tomatoes sounds like a good problem to have :). Brandy Boy is one that I want to try one of these years. A lot of people seem to really like them.

nugrdnnut,

Kellogg's Breakfast is on my list for next year and Amana Orange is a staple in my garden. I tend to favor orange tomatoes so I can't wait to try KB.

I have never tried Neves Azorean Red but I did grow Dixiewine this year. It is a cross between Neves Azorean Red and Brandywine. There are only 3 tomatoes on the plant but that is probably my fault since it is in a shady spot in the garden. The tomatoes that I do have on my Dixiewine plant are huge. I picked one the other day and ate it. The flavor was excellent. I will probably grow it again next year in a sunny location and hopefully it will be more productive.

Labradors,

I started a couple of dwarf plants this year but accidentally left them out all night and lost them to frost. I have plans to try again next year. Dwarf Rosella Purple sounds like a good one. Just looked it up and dtm is only 58? Wow.

• Labradors
    8 years ago

Christacharlene,

If you want a really early dwarf, try Dwarf Arctic Rose. It's a pink with decent flavor. However, I think Dwarf Rosella Purple is more tasty.

BTW I think your Texas Star is BEAUTIFUL. Another pretty bi-colour that is similar, but with smaller fruit is Little Lucky. I can't wait for mine to ripen!

Linda

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    8 years ago

Brandy Boy is definitely coming back next year. The two plants, that I started late, have just produced a ton of tomatoes. I might give Cuostralee another go. It produced a lot of tomatoes, but mostly smallish. It also succumbed to early blight/septoria really fast, too, despite (admittedly sporadic) use of antifungal. No other tomato plant in the garden has been nearly as susceptible.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

BIG BEEF : What a good find. How could I have not known it before ?

Willamette: It has been an amazing determinatnt plant , with the most tomatoes of saladet size.

4th Of July: Not really early but a good producer. I will grow it again, not because of being early but for being a good producer.

Azoychka: A fantastic producer of large slicers of golden orange.

Black frm. Tual: Not a wrokhorse but good producers, good size brown slicers.

Red Grape ( = Mini Roma ?): seeds from store tomato. Very productive , early .

The fruits have few seeds, more meat, and tasty. Only thing is thick skin. Heck ,I use them mostly in cooking /with pasta. So skin does not matter.. I will also can/jar some whole. With just 2 plants can't keep up with them.

Sey

Edited to add picture

Yeah ! I like them all as long as they fruit and ripen .hahaha

• thebutcher
    8 years ago

Simple, Jersey Boy and Summer Girl :) Major producers and very tasty.

• tripleione
    8 years ago

Brandy Boy and KBX. Both were delicious.

The pinkish looking tomatoes in the first pic are Brandy Boys. The second pic is KBX. If I can get Brandy Boy to breed true (like a few other forum members have), I will keep growing it. KBX is soooo good on sandwiches, so I am going to grow it again as well until I can find something better (more productive).

• Beth Walsh
    8 years ago

Super Sweet 100. Prolific producer all season. They are so tasty they never made it to the table. I've been eating them off the vine since June. AlsoBlack Cherry. Hundreds of fruit with a nice earthy taste. Not very sweet, but interesting non the less.

• Vince (8) Kemper
    8 years ago

Carmello is very good.

• John A
    8 years ago

A new one to me this year was Rebel Yell. It's a large pink beefsteak, not quite as big as Brandy Boy. I only had 1 seed that germinated, but it produce a nice plant and fruit.

John A

• PupillaCharites
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Taste-wise Purple Calabash took first place, grown under hot & sunny conditions. It is widely considered an acidy tomato, however most of the bad reviews come from northern growers. It was more like, but of course a million times better than old style (old style: sweeter) cherry SweeTarts candy for me, or maybe a fruity dessert wine, and had the perfect complex-knock-your-socks-off aftertaste.

These two front ones are almost but not quite ripe. Yes, leaf mold was a ubiquitously uninvited guest crashing the party :-(

Cheers

PC

• beesneeds
    8 years ago

Every year is a new year for me.. right now I'm in the middle of a 6 year rotation of a lot of seeds to try out. Last year was orange tomatoes- Juanne Flamme was the hands down winner among a lot of orange tomatoes.

This year is whites and container kinds. It's still a bit up in the air about the number one, but leading in the pick is Snow White cherry. Super hardy plant, prolific, and the first cherry in ages that has captured the whole family's attention for tomato goodness in a little package. All the rest of the tomatoes just sit and wait for me to preserve in various ways. But I can pick a quart a day of Snow Whites and they disappear within hours for fresh eating on. Good thing the two plants I have growing can keep up with the few quarts a week habit we have for snacking on this tasty tomato.

Dwarf Wild Fred is in the running too- for all that I tend to grow only heirlooms, this is a newer container black (or rather a zebra stripe of deep red and green with a plum heart), that is worth seed saving for another years growth. Very tasty, grows well with a good habit.

Totem is the red of choice for this years containers- compact, grows strong and well, and darn fine and tasty red tomatoes for small slicing, canning, dehydrating, or saucing up. If you only have a tiny space- go for this one.

Silvery Fir Tree pretty much sucked in production- that might be because almost every fruit produced got snacked on by critters before I could get to it.. But it was the hands down winner for ultra beautiful foliage to the extent that I would grow this tomato in my flower garden for just it's lovely foliage. One billion percent a must for ornamental gardeners.

I have around 16-18 kinds of tomatoes in the garden this year.... if I had to only choose one for seed saving, I would have to choose Snow White.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

I should plant Carmello, per Vince's review, next year.

Out of about 18 new trues I have only 8 that I Like . the rest are ZAPS.

I am totally disappointed with KB. I am looking for another gold/yellow that is tangy on the sweet side that is fairly productive.

Brandy Bow has a good taste but was not/has not been productive enough to to justify the real estate.

Sey