Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Flowers drying and dying before maturation and bloom

katyajini
8 years ago

On most of my pepper plants, mostly the temperate climate ones I think, whole flushes of flower buds are
drying, yellowing and falling off. They do not even get to the blooming stage.

See in the foreground and background the wilting and yellowing pods:

the brown ruffles are the baby petals drying up before opening.

Why is this happening? Is it the heat? I think its only been up to 90F. Would better watering control this issue? The lower leaves are yellowing and drying too a little bit.

Thank you,

K.

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    8 years ago

in pots or the ground?

tell us about your watering practices.

katyajini thanked jean001a
  • woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    8 years ago

What jean and willard said...and what much of what marianne said...on days of 90, in-ground soil can get well above 120F on the surface without mulch. Also, if in containers, a black pot can push soil temps well past desirable.

The flowers you've pictured look past the pollination stage and "should" become fruit. However, in the 3rd pic, the yellowing of the calyx and stem is a sure sign of abortion.

katyajini thanked woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think all that you are saying is true but something more may be happening too.

Marianne, I really see what you have pointed out, that when there is a full flush of peppers growing the plant finds ways of not adding more peppers one way or another. But if you remove some of those peppers the plant quickly sets some more fruit. These flowers maybe dropping at least for that reason, but observing for a few more days, it seems that the plants are hurting in some way. This maybe common knowledge amongst you who know your pepper plants....I am making another post about what I see.

woohooman, its really not that hot now, 80s for the last 6-7 days and the plants are mulched and well watered. So its over watering or something else. Or too much nitrogen or too little calcium? Disease?

I would like to solve this problem.

Thank you.

K.

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

Whelp, I have no idea. If you figure it out, make sure to come back and say what you think it was.

Hope you get it sorted out. You've had a time with your garden this year. Be a pity to not get your peppers.

katyajini thanked Pumpkin (zone 10A)
  • woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    8 years ago

K: Ok. I doubted it also about the heat but I just wanted to stress that though AIR temps may be all well and good, many people don't realize that it's the SOIL temps that are what's truly important.

Take a look at willard's link and go through his list and try to narrow it down.

Could very well be lack of Ca. What soil mix did you use? Did you add lime or gypsum or even bone meal at time of planting? if not, how have you been delivering Ca to the roots? what ferts have you been using and at what dosage and frequency?

Kevin

• Grow Your Heirlooms
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't think it is temperature either. I'm guessing water issue.

http://www.growyourheirlooms.com/garden-problem-solver-2/

Scroll down to "peppers"

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

It's not the heat, it can't be--not with 90 degree temps and 80-something in the last week. If these are not even flowering before they drop and your leaves are yellowing, Kat -- I would bet a plant or two that it's being overwatered. While I haven't had this happen in recent years, I've most definitely seen this in past years where my peppers gambled their lives growing for this overwaterer LOL.

Furthermore, it's one thing to have it happen on one plant but multiple plants....I will always suspect user error first. If I had 80-something degree weather highs, I would, on average, be watering my in-ground (mature) plants maybe 1+ times per week and containers about twice a week at most. All of the other days, I'd need to chant and get a straitjacket to hold myself back.

Are you watering more than that? Lol

Sponsored