Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
furlongej

Ceiling Joist Concern

furlongej
8 years ago

Location: First floor kitchen ceiling, second floor room above, no insulation.

Situation: Recessed lighting project. One row of lights have ceiling joist in the way. I am doing other stuff so there is part of the ceiling cut out and the joists are visible. The problem joist looked awkwardly placed, as if it was run between two joists (all joists in ceiling are evenly spaced but then there are 3 that are close, as if the middle one was placed between). Upon further inspection, that "middle" joist does not run the length of the ceiling like all the others, it ends half way in the ceiling where a wall use to be (wall was not load bearing).

Question, can I cut this joist out so that I can place my recessed lighting?

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Your best bet is to post a picture or a sketch of what your speaking of as your description confused me greatly......

• furlongej
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's a quick drawing of the ceiling. The dotted line is the middle joist I was talking about. It simply ends halfway in the ceiling. Where it ends there use to be a small wall that divided two rooms.

Because it ends halfway, it's my assumption that it serves no purpose.
  • furlongej
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is a slightly better drawing. I hope I'm not making it seem more complicated than it is.

It's a tradition ceiling with the regular joist setup. The builder put up a small 5 foot wall to divide a large space into 2.

Modified that wall and saw that the joist I want to remove is not running from end to end like the rest. It stops where the wall was. So, I don't think that it is required for structural support.

I added a photo of the wall. I cut a hole in the wall the give an "open look". The joist in question ends at the wood you see in the pic (the wood with the duct running through it).
  • klem1
    8 years ago

Cutting the joist might not harm anything but I've never known of a can light that was woth the gamble just to avoid placing it 3" one way or the other. We know the place has been remodeled since a wall has been removed,there's no telling why that joist is where it is.

• User
    8 years ago

Well, I'd kinda bet that the wall that was removed supported that joist for a reason. It's doubtful that it supported nothing. I hope you didn't DIY the removal!

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Loads come from above so it should be easy to determine what it might have been supporting. Just look at the floor above for bearing walls. It's also possible but unlikely that there is a joint in the subfloor.

• Vith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Odd that wall only supported three joists. Perhaps it truely is not structural. Is there a wall above where that wall was? How about below? What is above where the odd joist is? Perhaps a bath with a large tub? What does the structure look like in the attic? Is there a roof truss system?

Usually down the entire length of the middle of a house you will need a structural support or a large beam and support pillars. Unless it is a single story and roof trusses are used.